Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all -

Looking to replace the tires on my 2019 Ascent Premium (20-in wheels). The OEM Falkens are wearing out and I definitely want to replace them before holiday season and travel.

I am considering:

Yoko Geolandar AT 6015 (figured I'd look at them since they are OEM on the new wilderness Forester and Outback)

Falken Wildpeak AT Trail (seem to get good reviews and be a great all around balanced tire between light off road and highway)

Cooper Endavor Plus (which seem to get good reviews too, but are the same weight as the OEM Falkens)

We live in KY, but frequently visit family in Southwest Virginia and travel through the mountains of WV. We are also avid hikers, climbers and campers, which occasionally puts us on some semi-rugged off-roads. Attached are a few images of the types of roads we see occasionally: not crazy rugged, but more rugged than a gravel path. My old 2013 Forester with Altimax RT43s handled these roads fine, so not sure we need a more off-road ready tire.

While we don't travel through heavily snowed areas too often, we did get quite a bit of snow that stuck around last year and we do live in a cul de sac that doesn't get ploughed. I like the idea of being able to reliably travel in snowy weather, and so for that reason I like the 3PMSF of the Wildpeak and Geolandar.

That said, we also use the car as a run around vehicle since we sold my wife's Prius that was just sitting in the garage (COVID has me full-time WFH now). We also spend a lot of time traveling to visit family, so I want to make sure the gas mileage and highway driving aren't too compromised with the more aggressive tires.

Does anyone have experience/thoughts on these three? Anything I am not considering that I should be?

Thanks in advance!

Water Plant Road surface Natural landscape Fluvial landforms of streams

Plant Plant community Natural environment Tree Natural landscape

·
Administrator
11,423 Posts
I'm very fond of not just of the Wildpeaks, but also of their Product Team, who I've spent innumerable hours chatting with via email and phone.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,620 Posts
Of the three you mention, I'd pick the Wildpeaks.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Here's another vote for the Wildpeaks. Handled very similar terrain to those pictures with ease earlier this summer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all! Seems like the consensus is towards the Wildpeaks. Has anyone felt the gas mileage hit over OEM was really bad though?

·
Premium Member
2021 Ascent Touring
293 Posts
Thank you all! Seems like the consensus is towards the Wildpeaks. Has anyone felt the gas mileage hit over OEM was really bad though?
It's there, but it's not bad.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yeah, there's a slight hit. If you're worried about mileage though, don't read any of the rest of this forum. You'll end up with wider wheels/tires, splash guards, and a roof rack that really do hit the mileage number :D

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

For all of the reasons previously noted, I love Wildpeaks. FWIW, I went down to a 19” wheel and run 255 / 60 / 19 tires. They are 31” indiameter have no rubbing, and no noticeable loss of mpg. But the only way I ever get anywhere close to subies published mileage is to drive a steady 60-65 mph on cruise, which has happened just one time as an experiment. 😉

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
Hi all -

Looking to replace the tires on my 2019 Ascent Premium (20-in wheels). The OEM Falkens are wearing out and I definitely want to replace them before holiday season and travel.

I am considering:

Yoko Geolandar AT 6015 (figured I'd look at them since they are OEM on the new wilderness Forester and Outback)

Falken Wildpeak AT Trail (seem to get good reviews and be a great all around balanced tire between light off road and highway)

Cooper Endavor Plus (which seem to get good reviews too, but are the same weight as the OEM Falkens)

We live in KY, but frequently visit family in Southwest Virginia and travel through the mountains of WV. We are also avid hikers, climbers and campers, which occasionally puts us on some semi-rugged off-roads. Attached are a few images of the types of roads we see occasionally: not crazy rugged, but more rugged than a gravel path. My old 2013 Forester with Altimax RT43s handled these roads fine, so not sure we need a more off-road ready tire.

While we don't travel through heavily snowed areas too often, we did get quite a bit of snow that stuck around last year and we do live in a cul de sac that doesn't get ploughed. I like the idea of being able to reliably travel in snowy weather, and so for that reason I like the 3PMSF of the Wildpeak and Geolandar.

That said, we also use the car as a run around vehicle since we sold my wife's Prius that was just sitting in the garage (COVID has me full-time WFH now). We also spend a lot of time traveling to visit family, so I want to make sure the gas mileage and highway driving aren't too compromised with the more aggressive tires.

Does anyone have experience/thoughts on these three? Anything I am not considering that I should be?

Thanks in advance!

View attachment 14263
View attachment 14262
I run with wildpeaks in the Denver area and switch to winter tires since the weather remains cold. the wildpeaks are great off road as well as in snow. They can handle the cold weather but certainly not as well as winter tires for prolonged cold. Love them and will probably replace them with same when the time comes.

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
I run with wildpeaks in the Denver area and switch to winter tires since the weather remains cold. the wildpeaks are great off road as well as in snow. They can handle the cold weather but certainly not as well as winter tires for prolonged cold. Love them and will probably replace them with same when the time comes.
agree….nothing beats Blizzacks, and Wildpeaks are way better than regular all-seasons. Sort of a good, better, best.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Thanks everyone!

Just bought the Wildpeaks in 245/50/R20 to mount on the stock 20in wheels. Hoping to have no issues with install! I bought them off Amazon for $200 each. With my Amazon Store Card giving me 5% cash back, brings the total down to $190/tire, which seemed very good.

Heading into holiday travel season soon -- hope they do the trick!

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
Good choice! If you can find a shop that has a “road-force” balancer, it’s worth the extra few dollars/tire vs a traditional spin-balancer. Road-force balancers actually put the tire under a load similar to that which is experienced while on the vehicle and driving at 60mph. So the balancing takes the load into consideration. Sort of helps find the pea under the mattress and isn’t really and truly necessary … just helps make sure your car tracks perfectly with no vibrations at highway speeds.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well the Wildpeaks arrive today! Thanks to a mishap on shipping and orders with Amazon, I ended up getting an extra set of four for free. So... question. Do I stick them in bags and store them for 4ish years until I need to replace? Or try to sell.

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Tread Synthetic rubber

·
Super Moderator
2,720 Posts
I found this article on tire storage

Personally, I’d probably sell them rather than worry about them deteriorating over time, even though they’d sell for significantly less than the new price. I just don’t have the space and would prefer the peace of mind of a fresh new set of tires! You could spend whatever $ on something nice or just save it for the next set.

Alternately you could corner very hard, accelerate and brake hard, and/or misalign your car to wear the first set out more quickly so you don’t have to worry about the 2nd set going bad. I don’t recommend this route.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I found this article on tire storage

Personally, I’d probably sell them rather than worry about them deteriorating over time, even though they’d sell for significantly less than the new price. I just don’t have the space and would prefer the peace of mind of a fresh new set of tires! You could spend whatever $ on something nice or just save it for the next set.
^ Excellent article! :)

For a more graphical version: Tire Storage - Learn How to Store Tires Properly | Michelin

But I like what @xydadx3 cited better - more detailed. (y)

If you have extra garage space, @EHC91 , 3 or even 4 years isn't out of the question. Meeting the main storage conditions of sunlight and weathering, "normal" tires are rather easily stored, even for prolonged periods. That said, will there be some level of risk? Unfortunately, that can't be fully eliminated - but I'd say that it's rather minimal, as long as you keep to the recommendations cited above.

If you want to hang on to the tires, I'd look at the fall season of year-2 or the same of year-3 as a switch-point at the latest. Most authorities recommend that tires be taken out of use at 6 years past their date-of-manufacture (the sidewall will contain a month-year code). By switching in the fall (or beginning of the winter season), you'll have the most tread available for wintry-weather traction (powder, slush), which is arguably when you'll need it most.

Selling should prove advantageous at this point, as most folks are rushing to get winters on. Depending on local supply, certain popular fitments may be backordered (to say the least, of this year's supply-chain issues), and yours could potentially fill-in for someone's more pressing need.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
^ Excellent article! :)

For a more graphical version: Tire Storage - Learn How to Store Tires Properly | Michelin

But I like what @xydadx3 cited better - more detailed. (y)

If you have extra garage space, @EHC91 , 3 or even 4 years isn't out of the question. Meeting the main storage conditions of sunlight and weathering, "normal" tires are rather easily stored, even for prolonged periods. That said, will there be some level of risk? Unfortunately, that can't be fully eliminated - but I'd say that it's rather minimal, as long as you keep to the recommendations cited above.

If you want to hang on to the tires, I'd look at the fall season of year-2 or the same of year-3 as a switch-point at the latest. Most authorities recommend that tires be taken out of use at 6 years past their date-of-manufacture (the sidewall will contain a month-year code). By switching in the fall (or beginning of the winter season), you'll have the most tread available for wintry-weather traction (powder, slush), which is arguably when you'll need it most.

Selling should prove advantageous at this point, as most folks are rushing to get winters on. Depending on local supply, certain popular fitments may be backordered (to say the least, of this year's supply-chain issues), and yours could potentially fill-in for someone's more pressing need.
Thanks for this! Agreed. I think selling them will be the best bet right now. Its going to be tricky to find a buyer though as I live in Lexington, KY and most people who would be shopping for this tire for a CUV probably just have a truck :p Still never know. Will try!

·
Premium Member
2021 Subaru Ascent Touring
39 Posts
Thanks for this! Agreed. I think selling them will be the best bet right now. Its going to be tricky to find a buyer though as I live in Lexington, KY and most people who would be shopping for this tire for a CUV probably just have a truck :p Still never know. Will try!
Well hell small world I'm in Lex too and if my tires didn't have only 6k miles on them (and I had the space to store them) I'd come take those off your hands in a heartbeat. If I thought it wouldn't be a pain in the ass trying to sell the OEM tires I'd probably grab them off you. Shit I wonder if there are any shops that would swap a set of tires and buy my old set to resell since they are basically brand new.......

1 - 20 of 23 Posts