Subaru Ascent Forum banner

Given your experience and what you now know, would you buy the Ascent?

• Yes

Votes: 72 80.9%
  • No

Votes: 17 19.1%
1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Given whatever issues you have experienced with your new Ascent, if you had to do it over again, would you still buy the Ascent or something else?

·
Registered
920 Posts
I actually have several co-workers eyeing up the Ascent after seeing/riding in mine. 20k miles and going strong!

·
Registered
298 Posts
I was planning to buy an Ascent. But after reading about all these problems, went out and bought another brand (Hyundai) just 2 months ago. I still have a Subaru, though, a 2018 Crosstrek, which is a fantastic vehicle.

Subaru really needs to clean up their Indiana plant. Don't have these kinds of problems out of Japan.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Given the problems I had, Subaru of North America was very helpful. They replaced my defective windshield and fixed a few other things. Plus, they sent me many gifts to make me a happy customer. I still have a few outstanding problems. One of them is a rippling of the metal on both sides just under the windows. It was blamed on me and like the window this was a problem from Day 1. Also, the heated steering wheel and heated seats are not hot enough. I drove a 2019 Outback when my car was in service. The heated steering wheel and seats worked great. This made me realize that mine was defective even though the service department said they were "operating as designed." Therefore, if I had it to do again I would buy the Lincoln I was going to buy and not the Ascent. I have put over 1100 miles on my car driving to the Lokey Subaru Dealership from my home. This has definitely been an inconvenience and put a lot of unnecessary mileage on my car. When I signed the sales contract the general manager said that he would pay for my gas to go up there when service was required (not maintenance). But when I got my contract he didn't put that in the contract. So I went back the following week for the defective windshield and asked the GM to put the gas promise on the "we owe" He said to me "well we can't do that forever, but I'll put for 6 mos." This is NOT what he said when he was getting me to sign the contract. I drive over an hour in heavy traffic (one way) to get to the dealership. Not a happy person. The dealership employees are overall very nice but would not do it again.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was planning to buy an Ascent. But after reading about all these problems, went out and bought another brand (Hyundai) just 2 months ago. I still have a Subaru, though, a 2018 Crosstrek, which is a fantastic vehicle.

Subaru really needs to clean up their Indiana plant. Don't have these kinds of problems out of Japan.
I’m very interested in the Palisade, which I test drove last week. I like it a lot. My hang up is that I’m not sure I trust the long-term reliability of Hyundia/Kia products. It is hard to overcome the earlier reputation for poor quality relative to Toyotas, etc.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I’m very interested in the Palisade, which I test drove last week. I like it a lot. My hang up is that I’m not sure I trust the long-term reliability of Hyundia/Kia products. It is hard to overcome the earlier reputation for poor quality relative to Toyotas, etc.
I thought the same thing as well when I test drove one. Plus the fuzzy headliner looks like it will be a dirt magnet.

·
Registered
260 Posts
My wife and I love our Ascent. Almost 12k miles and many great road trips. The front and very excellent rear collision (industry-leading for this vehicle class, I believe) braking have saved us a few times already.

·
Super Moderator
2,454 Posts
Maybe again in a few years. Just not now. After 2 ascents. 2 failed transmissions, and head unit issues I’m done for a while. The 19 crosstrek is great. The Ascent just needed more time before it was released. I’m moving past it hopefully within 2 weeks when lemon paperwork #2 is signed!
What's your replacement going to be?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I only have 1400 miles on mine and had oil overfill issue that I hope has been resolved. Took 3 weeks to get SOA to authorize a new injector pump replaced. Whether or not I'd buy again, answer is no. I would have bought a Dodge Durango instead with a proven hemi engine.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
You can purchase an extended warranty (10 yr/100K miles) for the Palisade just like most people are doing on the Ascent. Most buyers won't even own a vehicle for 10 years. Depreciation would be the only thing I would worry about with the Hyundai/KIA products, but then again there will probably be discounts in the range of $5-8K on those Palisades/Tellurides after all the excitement dies down. That would make them far cheaper than the Ascent.

·
Registered
61 Posts
You can purchase an extended warranty (10 yr/100K miles) for the Palisade just like most people are doing on the Ascent. Most buyers won't even own a vehicle for 10 years. Depreciation would be the only thing I would worry about with the Hyundai/KIA products, but then again there will probably be discounts in the range of $5-8K on those Palisades/Tellurides after all the excitement dies down. That would make them far cheaper than the Ascent.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I got mine back in August. I was ready to buy and I like Subarus so it was a natural move. Mine has been pretty great and I believe it was absolutely the best 3-row available. I did have a bad driver's door seal, but that was fixed under warranty. My transmission is fine and gas mileage is about what I can expect. It's risen over the last 11 months by about 1 MPG (I plotted all fuelups with a trend line yesterday). Mine was built in July. I definitely like it better than my old 2012 Outback, but I do think the Outback is the perfect size for me 99% of the time. I may go back to the Outback in a few years. I like that the Ascent is still not as common as most SUVs. People are always interested to know about it. They've been out for over a year yet a vallet told me the other day that this was the "biggest Subaru he's ever seen". He was seriously digging it. Subarus are still somewhat of an enigma to many people, and that's a big part of why I like them. I'm sure this is different if you live in the PNW or NE. They're popular here in SoCal, but this is Tesla country, lol.

Fast forward to the present time and I would be holding out to test the new Explorer and Highlander, so I'd be somewhat in the same boat as you Bmosbacker. I am very enamored with the 2020 Explorer, but I want to see their reliability and I may get turned off once I see a million of them on the road. Something tells my with your analytical style that you might be the quintessential Subaru buyer ?. I frequently read a forum for car dealers (for fun) and they joke about Subaru customers as the type to come in with a clipboard, spreadsheets, and a tape measure ?.They're also known for high credit scores and stealth wealth, which I anecdotally gather is somewhat the opposite of Kia/Hyundai/FCA customers.

This is the only popular Ascent forum that I know of, and its vibe is a reflection of those who participate. I've been on a ton of car forums and this one does have a negative vibe to it. It is what it is. It's not fun here (yet?). There's a particular poster here who seems to only look for problems and shortcomings. It's not a jab - perhaps that's his/her personality? Just tune out the noise and go with your gut. As posted earlier, cars are things. I suffer from paralysis by analysis, but when I snap out of it I jump in head first.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'm always concerned about new models in the first year, especially with a new engine. We decided to order a 2020. Hopefully most of the issues will be resolved by the time ours arrives-next month.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I got mine back in August. I was ready to buy and I like Subarus so it was a natural move. Mine has been pretty great and I believe it was absolutely the best 3-row available. I did have a bad driver's door seal, but that was fixed under warranty. My transmission is fine and gas mileage is about what I can expect. It's risen over the last 11 months by about 1 MPG (I plotted all fuelups with a trend line yesterday). Mine was built in July. I definitely like it better than my old 2012 Outback, but I do think the Outback is the perfect size for me 99% of the time. I may go back to the Outback in a few years. I like that the Ascent is still not as common as most SUVs. People are always interested to know about it. They've been out for over a year yet a vallet told me the other day that this was the "biggest Subaru he's ever seen". He was seriously digging it. Subarus are still somewhat of an enigma to many people, and that's a big part of why I like them. I'm sure this is different if you live in the PNW or NE. They're popular here in SoCal, but this is Tesla country, lol.

Fast forward to the present time and I would be holding out to test the new Explorer and Highlander, so I'd be somewhat in the same boat as you Bmosbacker. I am very enamored with the 2020 Explorer, but I want to see their reliability and I may get turned off once I see a million of them on the road. Something tells my with your analytical style that you might be the quintessential Subaru buyer ?. I frequently read a forum for car dealers (for fun) and they joke about Subaru customers as the type to come in with a clipboard, spreadsheets, and a tape measure ?.They're also known for high credit scores and stealth wealth, which I anecdotally gather is somewhat the opposite of Kia/Hyundai/FCA customers.

This is the only popular Ascent forum that I know of, and its vibe is a reflection of those who participate. I've been on a ton of car forums and this one does have a negative vibe to it. It is what it is. It's not fun here (yet?). There's a particular poster here who seems to only look for problems and shortcomings. It's not a jab - perhaps that's his/her personality? Just tune out the noise and go with your gut. As posted earlier, cars are things. I suffer from paralysis by analysis, but when I snap out of it I jump in head first.
Thanks for the great response! You sound a lot like me! I have a massive spreadsheet with notes, links, etc. :) I’m not really interested in the Explorer—Ford does not have a great reliability record and I don’t like the interior design of the 2020. I’m far more interested in the 2020 Highlander. My decision is down to the Ascent, Highlander, and Pilot. I want to like the Ascent—and I do but lots of issues have been reported about transmissions, etc. I expect CR to have updated ratings soon. This may affect the overall rating of the Ascent. We’ll see.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
418 Posts
This is the issue I'm having currently. I like reading and participating in car forums for cars I own, and the Crosstrek forum was a great forum. However, this one seem to me to be much more negative to me as well. I've tried creating a couple fun threads that I copied over from the Crosstrek forum, but it seems Ascent owners so far aren't interested in that sort of thing. It seems it's mostly squeeky wheel around here, despite most of us not actually having many or any issues with our cars (other than the infotainment systems, which are common across multiple Subaru models).

To answer the thread question, I absolutely would buy another Ascent. I've had fewer actual issues with the Ascent than I had with my first Crosstrek.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm always concerned about new models in the first year, especially with a new engine. We decided to order a 2020. Hopefully most of the issues will be resolved by the time ours arrives-next month.
Is the 2020 available? Can you tell me what minor changes they may have made? I did not realize a 2020 could be ordered..

·
Registered
52 Posts
Is the 2020 available? Can you tell me what minor changes they may have made? I did not realize a 2020 could be ordered..
2020s are available. A few of us have already picked ours up over the last week or so, though we all preordered back in May/June. Dealer said that they should be getting their regular allotment at the end of the month or next month. Changes have been relatively minor, power folding mirrors in the touring model and a automated check rear seat messaging if the back doors have been open, so you dont forget pets or kids in the backseat. I cant really think of what else, but its easy enough to find if you google it

·
Registered
646 Posts
I should have waited but I turned mine in early on a lease and purchased a 19 Forester touring. While not perfect the build quality and even some plastics are of higher quality than the Ascent I had. Carpet is better and the engine /trans is smoother and a lot more refined than my Ascent. I have a feeling if the Forester is this good in higher trims the Outback will be even better . I feel Subaru had the time get it right but in order to build it to a price point that undercut the competition they made some compromises. I really did not need a large SUV. I don't tow, have one grandchild and one small dog so the decision for me to go back down the ladder was ok. I would be willing to pay extra for better overall refinement and material quality for the next Ascent which will probably be the next generation .

1 - 20 of 131 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.