Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting a knocking sound when pulling into a parking spot, when I apply brakes quite a bit to inch the vehicle forward. Is this normal? You cant hear it if you have the windows up, but when on the outside.
Thanks!

·
Administrator
11,372 Posts
I am getting a knocking sound when pulling into a parking spot, when I apply brakes quite a bit to inch the vehicle forward. Is this normal? You cant hear it if you have the windows up, but when on the outside.
Thanks!
Is auto vehicle hold on? It will make similar sounds when operating.

Also, the engine itself makes a "horrid" clicking/ticking/knocking sound at times, that you cannot hear from the inside. That too is normal - it's the direct injection system doing its thing. It sounds like the sound at the 20-25 second mark in this video.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is auto vehicle hold on? It will make similar sounds when operating.

Also, the engine itself makes a "horrid" clicking/ticking/knocking sound at times, that you cannot hear from the inside. That too is normal - it's the direct injection system doing its thing. It sounds like the sound at the 20-25 second mark in this video.
Yep AVH is ON, that might be it...nice video BTW...didnt know the car was capable of handling such conditions!

·
Administrator
11,372 Posts
Yep AVH is ON, that might be it...nice video BTW...didnt know the car was capable of handling such conditions!
That's barely the beginning of what I've done with my Ascent. ??

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks!
Mine is at the shop right now trying to figure out what this is... (they have a serpentine belt on order.. but a little speculative)

Here is an video of the noise

·
Administrator
11,372 Posts
Sounds like the direct injection system doing its thing. Check my video above.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I have not experienced this noise at all but then again I drive with the windows up 99.9% of the times.
Good to know this in case I do hear it so I won’t go into panic mode.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mine is at the shop right now trying to figure out what this is... (they have a serpentine belt on order.. but a little speculative)

Here is an video of the noise
No thats not it...mine is more off and on when brakes being applied while pulling into a tight spot...but please do let the rest of us know what the outcome is for you

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sounds like the direct injection system doing its thing. Check my video above.
I saw your video before posting and thought that it could be that... but then thought... there is no way that a quality car maker would let a loud knocking just be part of normal operation? Right? It sounds like a junk car would make that noise :(
First Subie... so not used to that

·
Administrator
11,372 Posts
I saw your video before posting and thought that it could be that... but then thought... there is no way that a quality car maker would let a loud knocking just be part of normal operation? Right? It sounds like a junk car would make that noise :(
First Subie... so not used to that
DI Systems tend to be noisy at times. The quality of the car has nothing to do with it. ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts