Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Things turned suddenly for us this week. We were 99% sure that we would be replacing our Outback with the new Ascent but after we researched the heck out of available vehicles, it was down to the Ascent and a Ford Explorer Limited. There are positives and negatives with both, but the thing that really sunk the deal was our Subaru dealer offering us $1500 LESS for our Outback than the Ford dealer, and the Ford dealer is actually going through a third party in another city! By the time we got done with all of the numbers, comparing apples to apples, the lease payment was approaching $150 per month more to do the Ascent, and that is including the $500 loyalty coupon that Subaru sent me. SO disappointed by that.

Oh, well. I'm hoping nothing but the best for everyone on this forum with your new vehicle. I hope that Subaru has worked out most of the new model issues already and you can enjoy your vehicles that you've been anxiously awaiting for all of this time!

Cheers!

tim

·
Registered
119 Posts
Things turned suddenly for us this week. We were 99% sure that we would be replacing our Outback with the new Ascent but after we researched the heck out of available vehicles, it was down to the Ascent and a Ford Explorer Limited. There are positives and negatives with both, but the thing that really sunk the deal was our Subaru dealer offering us $1500 LESS for our Outback than the Ford dealer, and the Ford dealer is actually going through a third party in another city! By the time we got done with all of the numbers, comparing apples to apples, the lease payment was approaching $150 per month more to do the Ascent, and that is including the $500 loyalty coupon that Subaru sent me. SO disappointed by that.

Oh, well. I'm hoping nothing but the best for everyone on this forum with your new vehicle. I hope that Subaru has worked out most of the new model issues already and you can enjoy your vehicles that you've been anxiously awaiting for all of this time!

Cheers!

tim

Ugh that is disappointing! Did you mention to the Subaru dealer that you were offered $1500 more for the trade? Had they matched that would you have done it? I'm guessing Ford was also offering incentives that Subaru doesn't offer so might have not been enough even if they matched your trade in.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ugh that is disappointing! Did you mention to the Subaru dealer that you were offered $1500 more for the trade? Had they matched that would you have done it? I'm guessing Ford was also offering incentives that Subaru doesn't offer so might have not been enough even if they matched your trade in.
No, we didn't get the number from the Ford dealer until today, but I never shared any info with either dealer other than that was the other car in play. The current set of rebates destroyed what I was getting from the Subaru deal (which was pretty good, considering most here are battling dealers at or near MSRP) but then I remembered my nephew is an engineer with a Ford supplier, so I'll be able to save a huge bundle more with an A or X Plan deal. Waiting to hear back from him tomorrow over which one it will be for certain but it will mean an additional $300 to $2000, depending on X vs A.

We loved the Ascent but simply couldn't justify the extra money each month. The Explorer isn't THAT gas hungry! :D

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You might want to look at the latest IIHS crash test of the Explorer. IMO it's worth another 150 for the Ascent
Would I rather it had 5-star ratings for everything tested? Of course. However, there is risk everywhere. The safest thing would be to not drive at all, but that's not realistic. 750K miles driven in my lifetime with a minor fender-bender to show for it, plus the collision avoidance systems that are present in these vehicles, make me feel secure enough.

·
Registered
115 Posts
You might want to look at the latest IIHS crash test of the Explorer. IMO it's worth another 150 for the Ascent

I couldn’t agree more! There are so many things in life we waste money on, protection in any shape or form is never one of them. I was just taking to my daughter, who is 10 about the safety features that Subaru put in place that go above and beyond the minimum requirements. She has had her heart set on a Crosstrek for at least a year now, for herself as her first car and though I’m sure when the time comes I will be able to find many cars that will fit her needs as her first car at a much lower price, will more than likely entertain her wishes and go with a Crosstrek purely for the fact that if God forbid she is ever in an accident, if she is it will be peace of mind that she is in the car that she will be able to walk away from.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I checked out the explorer at an auto show and was pretty impressed with a lot of the technology and intuitive design they have (rear seats fold down and third row access especially). Sounds like you are getting a really good price on it as well.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I haven't driven an Ascent. I have drove an Explorer. It felt as bad as the F-150. They drive big. I have never been one to think of my H4T (turbos) from a purely economic sense. But that's me. We have yet to see how the EcoBoost fare over time.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I checked out the explorer at an auto show and was pretty impressed with a lot of the technology and intuitive design they have (rear seats fold down and third row access especially). Sounds like you are getting a really good price on it as well.
Yeah, like I was saying, there are many positives to both. We actually like the flat surface with rows 2 and 3 down of the Explorer much better than the Ascent. That was an important issue for us because of the way we need to load the car when we travel between FL and MI each summer. Plus, towing our other car behind us will be with a V6 that has a proven track record. I know there is a lot of concern for the Ascent to be towing loads of 5K, but I'm hoping that Subaru proves the doubters all wrong!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I haven't driven an Ascent. I have drove an Explorer. It felt as bad as the F-150. They drive big. I have never been one to think of my H4T (turbos) from a purely economic sense. But that's me. We have yet to see how the EcoBoost fare over time.
We were VERY concerned about that, but were pleasantly surprised. It was very comfy and quiet and with the Limited trim level, quite nice. I was expecting to really dislike it but they proved me wrong. When my wife finally got to test drive one (she had sat in one and gone through the features) I said nothing and let her tell me what she thought. She loved it and she liked the fact that you sat up higher. She misses her old minivan days! :D

·
Registered
685 Posts
She loved it and she liked the fact that you sat up higher. She misses her old minivan days! :D
The one I drove was very happily driven/owned by an ex-minivan steward. (like your wife) I think she found the Explorer to be be racy. She drove it like she stole it.

·
Registered
764 Posts

Cheers!

tim
Its just money, you're going to make more...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
764 Posts
Not to mention, I also used to believe that until I was offered $19,600 for my three-year-old Outback which stickered for about $39,000! That was quite depressing, to say the least.
Now imagine if that was an Explorer... you'd be looking at $15,000!

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
What did carmax offer you on the outback? How many miles? What trim level?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts