Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So am I going to need a new headliner? Kid was in the middle seat, I was in the passenger seat... one bottle of carbonated something being handed to him later and I have this on my headliner now. I managed to cover the bottle some and hold it out the window on the highway. The side of my Ascent cleaned up nicely, as did the little bit that got on my cloth seats and I have no idea about the guy behind me...all that leaves is how to clean the headliner. Any suggestions?
Vehicle Car

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,214 Posts
I'd take that to a really good detailer...they know how to get things clean. It will be easier if it's still reasonably "fresh", too.

·
Registered
221 Posts
2nd what Jim said. They can use one of those carpet shampoo vacuum machines with an oxy detergent and get that out without soaking the headliner too much. Time is a factor so I hope you've already done it

·
Registered
154 Posts
Ouch, that is quite the stain...looks like orange soda maybe. I've had my kids scribble on my headliner with ink pen by "accident". I had good luck with some AC Delco upholsery cleaner I bought to clean it up: https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-10-8032-Grease-Upholstery-Cleaner/dp/B007Q117SK

The key is to lightly spray the cleaner on the headliner and dab the stain with a clean cloth to pull out the stain. So do not rub the headliner or tug on it as it's just held by spray adhesive in most cases. I used the same cleaner on an old throw up stain on a seat that was over a year old that left a orangy stain (not quite as deep as yours) and it came out as well. Again, it was all dabbing with a clean cloth.

·
Registered
160 Posts
@nextmoon thanks for the tips especially on technique. I have some chemical guys stuff on the way so if that doesn’t work I’ll try the AC Delco stuff.
I would be cautious about trying one, then another and so on. Sometimes 2 similar items that can have positive results can create a negative impact. Think of Bleach and Ammonia - both great disinfectants, but not great together.

My first thought was exactly what @Jim_in_PA stated. The detail shops deal with this stuff all the time and if they can get to it sooner than later should have good success. The have the right products and equipment to get the job done.

If you want to do it yourself, I would do a bunch of quick research on various products and pick the one you feel will do the job and if needed, give it a second application of the same product.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
So am I going to need a new headliner? Kid was in the middle seat, I was in the passenger seat... one bottle of carbonated something being handed to him later and I have this on my headliner now. I managed to cover the bottle some and hold it out the window on the highway. The side of my Ascent cleaned up nicely, as did the little bit that got on my cloth seats and I have no idea about the guy behind me...all that leaves is how to clean the headliner. Any suggestions? View attachment 1107
I agree with @Jim_in_PA! Keep the chemical guys stuff for treatment in other areas of the vehicle. Hire a professional detailer to address this stain. It should not cost you more than $100. I had a professional, detail my daughter's 2013 KIA Soul and it came out great. The success rate for an amateur on that type/size of stain is very low. It will bug you until you sell the vehicle.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I'm with the "hire a pro" folks (hence my previous attempt at humor instead of a solution). Seats I'll clean all day, but the headliner I'm thinking will require more of a delicate and/or informed touch. Detailers not only have the tools , they have the knowledge (hopefully) as well to know what works and what doesn't. Of course you can also get the headliner replaced, worst case scenario.

·
Registered
9 Posts
So am I going to need a new headliner? Kid was in the middle seat, I was in the passenger seat... one bottle of carbonated something being handed to him later and I have this on my headliner now. I managed to cover the bottle some and hold it out the window on the highway. The side of my Ascent cleaned up nicely, as did the little bit that got on my cloth seats and I have no idea about the guy behind me...all that leaves is how to clean the headliner. Any suggestions? View attachment 1107

·
Registered
50 Posts
I’ve had all types of stains on my Honda headliner and I have a friend that used to worked in a car wash/cleaner/detailer or whatever. He suggested that I use a Magic Eraser Sponge with some water and a bit soap. Don’t drown the eraser in soap and dab it lightly against the area.... IT WORKED!!! Let me know how it goes! We have to redo our headliner again as well.

·
Super Moderator
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So I ended up using some Meguiars interior detailing cleaner spray I had, along with a bucket of hot water and clean cloth. The cloth was just barely wet and lightly sprayed with the Meguiars. I scrubbed very lightly, rinsed often, and I’m pretty happy with the result. I’ll probably hit it once more to get any little bit that’s leftover.
Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Mid-size car Ceiling

1 - 16 of 16 Posts