Subaru Ascent Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
A few things to consider, most rooftop air conditioners have electric heat options that can be installed separately space heaters are a fire hazard I cannot justify personally. The furnace, while it is propane, works so well you won't need it on very long at all. Hot water is only necessary if you are using your own shower, and most smaller trailers have limited grey tank sizes so it is quite impractical unless you can do some seriously quick wetting and rinsing, ours filled up in 2 rounds of super quick showers (2 adults 2 kids, 28 gallon grey tank). Luckily I tried it only because we had a full hookup. Our water heater runs off propane or electric.

Also, not all manufacturers are the same my Jayco came weighed from the factory with a battery and full propane installed and the sticker states that is how the weights were determined. So look at the fine print on the weight sticker, they are not all weighed the same, and definitely don't rely on specs found online. We searched for months for the perfect trailer for us and visited every dealer within the county and along the interstate corridor. It is not easy finding a sub 5k lb trailer to fit a family of 4 but we managed with a whole lot of patience and realistic expectations.

I use the weigh safe hitch and it is very useful, just be sure to keep it stored where it wont get too cold as temperature affects the hydraulic fluid. Take your time and you will find something that works for you. And fwiw not having to deal with a weight distributing hitch makes hooking up so easy, start to finish I am ready to go in about 15 minutes, putting stabilizers up storing wood, attaching trailer to Ascent, hooking up safety chains/wiring, running tongue jack up, checking lights and rearview camera function, storing wheel chocks, locking the doors, rolling up electrical cord and locking storage.

Take your time and find what you want and then enjoy the inherent simplicity! Be safe and happy hunting!
Appreciate your post! I agree the space heater seems to be a bad choice all around. The rooftop AC Unit does have an option heat selection, but don’t believe it’s actually installed—I’m going to look in to those options.

Thanks for the feedback on the Weigh Safe. I might have an issue with a drop hitch like that because of the overall height of the trailer.

Anyhow, we went ahead and pulled the trigger on the Bullet. I’ll be honest, it doesn’t pull as great I would have hoped. We’re heading out for a test night this weekend and to get it on the open road. I’m doing some balancing as we speak.

·
Administrator
8,871 Posts
On an Ascent? Most likely not. The Ascent has a built in Trailer Stability Assist system (which cannot be turned off) that I for one wouldn't use another sway system with. In the event of sway, you should feel the Ascent brake against it. It's an odd feeling that I've only felt with our tandem axle trailer (so, it may feel different on a single axle), where it feels like the Ascent is squatting against the sway. I learned to keep driving straight and let the car deal with it. We hit gusts in the high 30's and sustained winds in the 20's. Once we stopped loading up everything in the rear (packed the bathroom and rear storage shelves), I don't recall experiencing any sway at all. A tandem is a bit of a different trailer, though, and we've got a bit more of an aerodynamic nose.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
On an Ascent? Most likely not. The Ascent has a built in Trailer Stability Assist system (which cannot be turned off) that I for one wouldn't use another sway system with. In the event of sway, you should feel the Ascent brake against it. It's an odd feeling that I've only felt with our tandem axle trailer (so, it may feel different on a single axle), where it feels like the Ascent is squatting against the sway. I learned to keep driving straight and let the car deal with it. We hit gusts in the high 30's and sustained winds in the 20's. Once we stopped loading up everything in the rear (packed the bathroom and rear storage shelves), I don't recall experiencing any sway at all. A tandem is a bit of a different trailer, though, and we've got a bit more of an aerodynamic nose.
Makes sense. Thanks, Robert!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Appreciate your post! I agree the space heater seems to be a bad choice all around. The rooftop AC Unit does have an option heat selection, but don’t believe it’s actually installed—I’m going to look in to those options.

Thanks for the feedback on the Weigh Safe. I might have an issue with a drop hitch like that because of the overall height of the trailer.

Anyhow, we went ahead and pulled the trigger on the Bullet. I’ll be honest, it doesn’t pull as great I would have hoped. We’re heading out for a test night this weekend and to get it on the open road. I’m doing some balancing as we speak.
Hi there, I've also been considering the Crossfire. Can you tell me how it's been so far? I know you said it doesn't pull as great as you would have hoped, but have things improved? Thank you!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Hi there, I've also been considering the Crossfire. Can you tell me how it's been so far? I know you said it doesn't pull as great as you would have hoped, but have things improved? Thank you!
Hey! Actually, it’s improved a lot. I’ve been able to balance the load more appropriately, which made a night and day difference. We’ve gone out twice and it’s such a great unit. I’m looking in to getting the overhead heat option installed to reduce how much propane is needed on the tongue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Be careful with length too. The RV Consumers Group recommends a trailer length of no longer than 21' with a 114" wheelbase (Ascent is at 113.9").

21 - 27 of 27 Posts