Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have 2019 Ascent (Premium) with keyless entry and ignition that we purchased in February 2019. Recently the keyless entry got deactivated (which also effects the keyless start), and we cannot get it reactivated.

The problem started when we parked in a parking garage at Disney Springs at Walt Disney World. We were on the bottom level of the multi-floor garage. When trying to lock the the car using the key fob as a remote, it would not work. We tried our other key fob, and it would not work. We locked the car manually and the key fob would not unlock it. I am pretty sure that the radio waves from Disney were interfering with the radio waves of the key fob, but I did not realize that at the time. The parking spaces each have a transmitter that detects if the space is occupied and sends the information to a display at the end of each aisle. That in addition to all the other radio waves (Disney can literally track you using a MagicBand that contains all your ticket and hotel information) was probably enough to mess up the radio waves used by the key fob. The car manual states that they key fob might not work in the presence of strong radio waves, but unfortunately I did not see that note until after 45 minutes of trying to figure out what was wrong.

During my trouble shooting, I found the section of the manual about deactivating the keyless entry. Thinking that I had either somehow did it myself or the car's computer was glitching, I repeatedly followed the steps for deactivating and reactivating the keyless entry using both methods--on the key fob and using the driver's side door.

I did not notice at the time that the key fob method only works if you already had programmed a PIN. We had not programmed a PIN, so I assume any button pushing on the key fob had no effect. I probably followed the steps in the manual 4-5 times for deactivating keyless entry using the driver's side door with no apparent effect (because I was still in the same garage). During this troubleshooting process, I only heard the car chirp once (it was supposed to chirp each time you followed the steps, which deactivated or reactivated the keyless entry).

Eventually, I figured out that the radio waves were probably interfering with the key fob, so I moved the car to the third level. Immediately after that, I could used the key fob as a remote to lock and unlock the doors, but the keyless entry and ignition was not working.

In retrospect (2 weeks later and after vainly trying to figure out the problem from the internet), I think that I must have deactivated the keyless entry the one time I heard a chirp, but I have been unable to reactivate it. At this point, I have followed the steps in the manual probably 20 times (varying how fast I push the unlock button, open and close the door, etc) to no avail. I also programmed a PIN and tried to use the remote to reactivate, but not surprisingly, it did not help. The Subaru help line was useless, and the only suggestion from the dealer was to disconnect the battery and pump the brake a few times. I have done that twice (a week apart) without any change in the status. I have found numerous videos showing how to use the key fob to deactivate keyless entry, but so far none showing how to use the driver's side door. I wanted to see if I was messing up a step even though I feel like I am following the steps closely.

Tomorrow is the first appointment that I could get (for a problem that began almost 2 weeks ago). I figure that they will probably hook up their diagnostic computer and then reset something in the car (like when a printer is stuck with a bunch of print jobs), but I would really like to know that this something that won't happen again.

Has anyone ever heard of this problem?

·
Registered
852 Posts
I’ve parked in the indoor parking facilities at the Springs with no issues.That is a very unusual circumstance lets see what the stealership say when you take it in.Please report back with their findings.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I took it to the dealer today. They reactivated the keyless entry and start, but the service advisor could not explain what happened or how they fixed it. I had to pick it up after the service department was closed, and the only note on the paperwork says "Refer to page 131 of Owners Manual for instructions for enabling and disabling this system."

I really hope that is note for themselves, because it would be offensive for them to suggest that I don't know how to read the manual and also that they ignored the part where I told them that I have tried repeatedly to reactivate the system. I really wanted to know how they diagnosed the problem, what the problem was, how they fixed it, and how to avoid trouble in the future.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Thats how dealers work,ever notice when they’re done servicing your vehicle they would come to the waiting area call out your name and say “your car is ready”.Not once have I heard the words “we fixed your car” when having my vehicle go in for warranty work or some type of issue.Glad to hear they took care of the issue and that it doesn’t happen again .

Note: “Please refer to page 131 of the Owner’s Manual”...just kidding.I would call them and ask what was done to correct the issue,just out of curiosity.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A person from Disney called today (I had contacted them about another issue and mentioned this one). He had done research and said they did not have any radio waves in the parking garage. He said that the parking spot sensors use an invisible eye.

So I have no idea what originally caused the problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the same problem with my 2020 that I have owned for almost seven months. It’s late at night as I make this entry. When I took our dog out for the last walk of the day I noticed that the hatch was open. The light for the button to close it did not function. So I closed it manually.

I next tried to open the driver door with the fob but nothing occurred. After several tries I removed the small key from the fob to open it. It is too late to continue trying to resolve the matter.so I will pursue this in daylight and hopefully can update the information about the problem with a positive resolution.

I do agree that these “convenient“ keyless entry systems can be quite problematic and confusing. I am not impressed with my first experience.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the same problem with my 2020 that I have owned for almost seven months. It’s late at night as I make this entry. When I took our dog out for the last walk of the day I noticed that the hatch was open. The light for the button to close it did not function. So I closed it manually.

I next tried to open the driver door with the fob but nothing occurred. After several tries I removed the small key from the fob to open it. It is too late to continue trying to resolve the matter.so I will pursue this in daylight and hopefully can update the information about the problem with a positive resolution.

I do agree that these “convenient“ keyless entry systems can be quite problematic and confusing. I am not impressed with my first experience.

UPDATE: I went outside with the metal key intending to get the manuals from the glove compartment. When I opened the door the interior lights came on which did not happen during the prior night’s episode.

I got the keyless entry fob and tried it. It was active again. So, I have no idea why the fob deactivated and then somehow overnight was active again. I can’t find anything online about such a situation. I will contact the dealership to inquire if they have any info or bulletins about such an occurrence.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts