Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here’s a new one for me:

The other day I met my wife after work while she was waiting for our son at gymnastics. She was sitting outside (thanks covid) in the Ascent and I pulled up next to her in my Bimmer. Her key fob was in the Ascent’s cup holder and mine stayed in the Bimmer’s ignition. Well at some point she turned the ignition to accessory mode while strapping the baby in and I drove away to meet up again at home. Shortly after I left she calls me and says the Ascent won’t start. I turned around and backed in next to her expecting her to need a jumpstart.
To my surprise the battery wasn’t dead but the Ascent wouldn’t start OR turn off. Nope, all it needed was for her to walk away with her key fob then come back.
So did it turn on somehow detecting my fob in the other car but wouldn’t start because I had driven away with that fob? I may never know 🤷‍♂️

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
Did the dash say anything?

The only other things that come to mind are foot not on the brake, and gearshift not in park.

This is truly bizarre.

·
Super Moderator
2,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good theories. I checked both the brake and shift lever based on previous experiences.
No messages on the dash until she walked away with the fob. Then it said key fob not detected or out of range or whatever the message is.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Ascent Touring (Canadian Edition) -- Ice Silver Metallic
151 Posts
Next time hold the start button down for 10 seconds to reboot the computer.

Yes your car is a computer too.

It's noted in the manual. 😉

·
Super Moderator
2,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tried that too. Nothing happened. It stayed in ON mode the whole time!

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,578 Posts
Next time hold the start button down for 10 seconds to reboot the computer.

Yes your car is a computer too.

It's noted in the manual. 😉
That only cold reboots the entertainment system and doesn't affect the other computers in the vehicle...of which there are many. There is likely a process to do that via battery disconnection, but I'd check with Subaru service first to confirm if that's the procedure and for how long power must be removed to force the restart as well as any settings implications..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts