Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hypothetical:
  1. The car is running and you get out (for any reason). You have the key fob on you. Then someone jumps in the running car and drives off. Can they drive as far as they want or does the car know the fob is missing and does something, like, stop?
  2. If you have the MySubaru app (with the subscription for Security plus, could you stop the car if it was stolen or keep it from being restarted?

·
Premium Member
2021 Ascent Touring
220 Posts
No, it will continue running. I know this firsthand because on more than one occasion, my wife has had the key on her when I dropped her off somewhere and then drove away. Once the care is stopped, it can't be restarted of course.

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
If you have the MySubaru app (with the subscription for Security plus, could you stop the car if it was stolen or keep it from being restarted?
It cannot be restarted without the FOB. I have never tried stopping it with the app when it's been started from inside the car, but, I have tried stopping it from the app when I've FOB started it (I have the long range remote start module too). The app will not turn it off.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,900 Posts
The no-key in the vehicle warning doesn't seem to play continuously, AFAIK...it times out so it doesn't drive passengers nuts when you leave them in the vehicle with the engine running so you can do something away from the car, such as put groceries in the house like I did a few minutes go before dropping my daughter back at her apartment with her groceries.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Once again, great info people! This is the best forum ever! And this does explain to me, why my car continued to run at the car wash as it glided by the observation window whilst I discovered I had left my key in my pocket and silently panicked. But maybe that was a good thing?

·
Registered
567 Posts
Once again, great info people! This is the best forum ever! And this does explain to me, why my car continued to run at the car wash as it glided by the observation window whilst I discovered I had left my key in my pocket and silently panicked. But maybe that was a good thing?
BTW, if your car was actually stolen, you call the police and they work with Starlink. Working with the police, Starlink will locate and slow the vehicle to a complete stop!

·
Super Moderator
2,454 Posts
BTW, if your car was actually stolen, you call the police and they work with Starlink. Working with the police, Starlink will locate and slow the vehicle to a complete stop!
According to STARLINK’s info that’s not quite how it works. Law enforcement can use the gps to locate the vehicle and once it’s been turned off they can prevent it from being restarted.
Text Font Line Screenshot Parallel

This is the best forum ever! And this does explain to me, why my car continued to run at the car wash as it glided by the observation window ...
We might need to talk about this car wash thing in another thread...your paint will thank you one day if you can manage to avoid the auto washes!

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
No, it will continue running. I know this firsthand because on more than one occasion, my wife has had the key on her when I dropped her off somewhere and then drove away. Once the care is stopped, it can't be restarted of course.
And for anyone who is interested, I lost one of my keyless remote fobs. It cost me $300 for a replacement AND another $100 to activate it to my 2019 Touring Model Ascent. The Dealership where I bought it from told me to never carry the 2 key fobs together. They said to always keep one at home so you can always recover it if you are just traveling locally, but it is wise to have both with you in separate suitcases if you are traveling out of town in case there is not a Subaru dealership near where you are traveling.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,900 Posts
but it is wise to have both with you in separate suitcases if you are traveling out of town in case there is not a Subaru dealership near where you are traveling.
I'm thinking the word "suitcases" isn't best here relative to traveling At least one fob should be "on your person", however that best works for you. (pocket, lanyard, hand-bag, etc) And you really cannot leave the other fob in the vehicle unless its disabled if you are traveling alone, so if you keep it in a bag, that bag has to leave the car with you when you lock up. Two people traveling? That's easy Each on carries a fob.

Honestly, when I travel alone, one fob stays home as if I was local. In a true emergency, it can always be sent overnight express (at a cost) to wherever I am, should the fob that's physically clipped to my belt loop and held in place just inside my front pocket above my wallet fail on me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.