Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Subaru Ascent 2020
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had many key-less cars before, BMW, Mercedes, Cadillac, Ford, Toyota etc and I have never had an issue with any key fob such as this before. Never! The issue is I keep finding my car unlocked at times. (Driver Door and sometimes all doors). Nothing has ever been missing out of the car and I doubt someone else has an identical fob as this has also happened at other locations other than where I live. I have isolated the problem to my key fob actuating while it's in my pocket. It's happened about 8 or 9 times already. I've always carried my key fobs in my same pocket all by itself, nothing else in there and never had a problem. I wish there was a below flush power button on this fob. Oh, and my wife keeps her key fob in our wall mounted key box (no issue there). And I have also swapped key fobs with her, same issue. Anybody have any ideas on how I might prevent pocket unlocking my doors so easily, short of NOT carrying the fob in my pocket or pulling the battery out?

SUGGESTION FOR SECURITY IMPROVEMENT: I suggest that Subaru modify the unlocking system to automatically re-lock the doors if you don't open the driver door within 5 minutes or so after unlocking the car with the fob. At least my Ascent Touring copy doesn't do that. (I sure wish it did).

·
Registered
584 Posts
I've had many key-less cars before, BMW, Mercedes, Cadillac, Ford, Toyota etc and I have never had an issue with any key fob such as this before. Never! The issue is I keep finding my car unlocked at times. (Driver Door and sometimes all doors). Nothing has ever been missing out of the car and I doubt someone else has an identical fob as this has also happened at other locations other than where I live. I have isolated the problem to my key fob actuating while it's in my pocket. It's happened about 8 or 9 times already. I've always carried my key fobs in my same pocket all by itself, nothing else in there and never had a problem. I wish there was a below flush power button on this fob. Oh, and my wife keeps her key fob in our wall mounted key box (no issue there). And I have also swapped key fobs with her, same issue. Anybody have any ideas on how I might prevent pocket unlocking my doors so easily, short of NOT carrying the fob in my pocket or pulling the battery out?

SUGGESTION FOR SECURITY IMPROVEMENT: I suggest that Subaru modify the unlocking system to automatically re-lock the doors if you don't open the driver door within 5 minutes or so after unlocking the car with the fob. At least my Ascent Touring copy doesn't do that. (I sure wish it did).
MANY of us have bought one of these - either the silicon or the leather. Also, I assume you know that just touching the door handle with the Fob in your pocket will unlock the door?

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Yeah. I'll be walking around doing stuff with the fob in my pocket and hear the Ascent unlock beep. It seems I don't even need to be pressing anything against it for it to happen. With other vehicles, I'd have to be carrying something or lean against something that pressed firmly against my pocket for that to happen. It's a poor design, and rather big compared to other keyless fobs. A case will make it bigger.

·
Registered
Subaru Ascent 2020
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MANY of us have bought one of these - either the silicon or the leather. Also, I assume you know that just touching the door handle with the Fob in your pocket will unlock the door?

The blue unlock button (of course) is the culprit, I found this leather key fob at amazon that will recess that blue unlock button well below flush. The manufacture of this key fob cover realizes that there is a problem with inadvertent
Keychain Font Technology Electronic device Fashion accessory
unlocks. I have hopes for this one to do the job.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
814 Posts
Which ever fob cover you buy I'd suggest also cutting out the part that covers up the rear hatch button so that is also recessed like the unlock button. Speaking from experience that button can get accidently pressed which not only opens the rear hatch but also drains your battery overnight.

·
Registered
Subaru Ascent 2020
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Which ever fob cover you buy I'd suggest also cutting out the part that covers up the rear hatch button so that is also recessed like the unlock button. Speaking from experience that button can get accidently pressed which not only opens the rear hatch but also drains your battery overnight.
Good point. While at my local supermarket this morning I wanted to see if I could discover the range of my key fob. I paced on 150 yards and it still could unlock the car. I would have gone further but I didn't feel like scaling the parking lot wall. This fob has an incredible range that can work against you.

·
Administrator
11,124 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
The blue unlock button (of course) is the culprit, I found this leather key fob at amazon that will recess that blue unlock button well below flush. The manufacture of this key fob cover realizes that there is a problem with inadvertent View attachment 1909 unlocks. I have hopes for this one to do the job.
That's one of the two that I purchased. The other one is silicon

·
Registered
71 Posts
The blue unlock button (of course) is the culprit, I found this leather key fob at amazon that will recess that blue unlock button well below flush. The manufacture of this key fob cover realizes that there is a problem with inadvertent View attachment 1909 unlocks. I have hopes for this one to do the job.
That's a good idea, but with that and the remote start fob, it's already way too big for my pocket

·
Administrator
11,124 Posts
That's a good idea, but with that and the remote start fob, it's already way too big for my pocket
Unless you have a range issue, you don't need the remote start FOB. I have only used mine to test to make sure they work.

If you don't need the extra range, then, on the regular FOB, short press the lock button twice. Then, press and hold it until the car beeps the horn twice. The car will start.

Press and hold the lock button to get it to turn off.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Unless you have a range issue, you don't need the remote start FOB. I have only used mine to test to make sure they work.

If you don't need the extra range, then, on the regular FOB, short press the lock button twice. Then, press and hold it until the car beeps the horn twice. The car will start.

Thanks Rob,

I park in a garage,the regular fob signal doesn't turn the corner

·
Registered
54 Posts

This only works if you have bought the remote starter thing? (2019 Touring, but no remote starter purchase)

·
Administrator
11,124 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
814 Posts
I have found my trunk open in the parking lot at work. Not sure how long that was like that.
I had this happen last winter when we were spending a month at a Residence Inn outside of L.A. the manager knocked on our door and told me the rear hatch was open. At that time I was carrying a folding knife in the same pocket as the fob which I'm sure pressed the hatch button when I bent over some time. That's when I moved my knife to another pocket and cut out the fob cover area over the hatch button.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts