Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question. I have three small kids so I haven’t been able to try this yet, but wondered if anyone has. What happens if the car is running, key leaves the area, and someone tries to drive it? Does the engine die, or will it drive until the engine shuts off?

Example:
Stop at gas station for a quick trip in to get a soda, leaving the car running, but key with me. What would happen if someone tried to drive it?
I don’t plan on doing this just wondering. One of my old cars would die as soon as you touched the break, and another would drive until you shut the engine off and wouldn’t restart without the key.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Experiment
Pulled out of garage, left subie running, took key into house, which I know is out of range. Got back in without the key, got a message that read "Access key not detected", I was able to put subie in gear pull into garage and put into park. Shut it off, would not restart.

·
Registered
426 Posts
This is why I use Starlink Remote Start. I can cool off / warm up the car, locked or unlocked, kids in or not, and it can't be driven. When I do get in, it asks me to press the Start Button (to get back into a mode where it recognizes the key and allows me to drive). If memory serves, if I don't have the key, it won't allow me to get out of Park.

One downside on Remote Start is that it has a 10 minute time limit. 10 minutes is a little short for a pre-cool.

F.S.

·
Super Moderator
2,708 Posts
^^your memory is still working. If you get in after remote starting without the key you can’t do anything. Likewise if you don’t press the brake and press start you still can’t get it out of park.
you can always remote start twice for 20 minutes!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts