Subaru Ascent Forum banner
41 - 60 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
3,702 Posts
I agree, but with all of the tech in these cars a head unit failure could cost you thousand $$$ without a warranty.
which is why I am currently shopping for a gold plan for my Ascent and a 2018 Impreza. I am being told by some dealers that their cost is higher than the prices Ascent owners are paying. Something about the arrangement between Subaru and the dealers must happen behind the scenes.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Limited
7 Posts
Looking to add Gold plan for my Ascent as a dealer I got it from did not offer one, they had some other plan. Anybody can suggest a dealer with good pricing in SoCal? Thanks!

·
Registered
3,702 Posts
Looking to add Gold plan for my Ascent as a dealer I got it from did not offer one, they had some other plan. Anybody can suggest a dealer with good pricing in SoCal? Thanks!
Last week I was calling around to get pricing on a gold plus plan . One dealer gave me the same line that he has this other great plan from another provider. I shot that down right away. I also pointedly asked, "are you as a Subaru dealer telling me you will not sell me a Subaru Gold Plan Plus'. That is when his tune changed and he replied of course not and he gave his price.

I am guessing they are required to have it for sale. They can of course offer other competing warranties but as a Subaru desler they have to sell all Subaru offerings. I didn"t like his price so I passed withi this dealer warranty offers.

I told him I don't mind him making one quick attempt at the alternative offer, but anything beyond that is not okay since I was clear out of the gate what I wanted.

I know they make more profit on the non Subaru offer.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,834 Posts
They can sell it...they just don't want to offer it because they make less money on the real Subaru extended service plans than the crappy third party ones that are chock full of profit.

·
Registered
3,702 Posts
They can sell it...they just don't want to offer it because they make less money on the real Subaru extended service plans than the crappy third party ones that are chock full of profit.
These are the dealerships that I would avoid. They are putting their profit above what is best for the customer. There is no reason those two need to be at odds with each other. They would rather gain more short term profit than make a bit less profit in the short run and develop a relationship with the customer that will last for years.

unfortunately it is all too often seen in this industry.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just signed up for the Gold Plus 10yr/100k with Jim Armstrong Subaru in Hickory, NC at $1,570.00 with a $100 deductible. They had originally quoted me in mid-March but then coronavirus craziness delayed me a bit, so not sure if the number would be different now but they said they'd honor that quote still. Hickory's about 65 miles from me here in Charlotte, but when I first asked them two months ago they said there were no region/market restrictions on the warranties. I spoke with finance manager Mike Houser, 828-322-9372, after initially getting the quote from someone else by submitting the request through their online form. The purchase call took all of 5 minutes. Mileage, VIN, credit card, done.
Just called Mike. Same product, $1670 price he gave me. I didn't dicker as that's a good price for me.

My local guys gave me a quote of $1700 in Aug of last year. Just called them, they want $2385 now (Quirk in Braintree MA). According to them it was the 'standard price, same as anywhere else'. So I took my business to NC.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I'm assuming that one can buy from most any dealership provided they cover the state you register the car in?

E.g., if I get some ridiculous price from my dealer in NJ, I am free to ask any US dealership if they cover NJ?

·
Super Moderator
3,834 Posts
I'm assuming that one can buy from most any dealership provided they cover the state you register the car in?
You can buy from any dealer in your "market area"...which isn't an exact science. You can't buy one from Chicago, but you could buy one from another dealer in NY, NJ and Eastern PA. Contact forum sponsor Liberty Subaru in NJ....Dan's contact information is in the vendor section. They are very competitive...

·
Registered
3,702 Posts

E.g., if I get some ridiculous price from my dealer in NJ, I am free to ask any US dealership if they cover NJ?
review the forum postings on gold plus plan options and pricing for each option. that will provide you with some background to consider offered pricing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just bought a certified 2020 Ascent Limited with 19,000. I’m in California and I paid $591 for the 7/100k plan with the $100 deductible.
Not exactly comparable to someone buying a brand new Ascent but it seemed like it was as low as he could go.

·
Registered
3,702 Posts
Just bought a certified 2020 Ascent Limited with 19,000. I’m in California and I paid $561 for the 7/100k plan with the $100 deductible.
Not exactly comparable to someone buying a brand new Ascent but it seemed like it was as low as he could go.
please check you documents to make sure you actaully have the Subaru Gold Plus plan. there is a less robust Subaru plan and of course third party plans that some dealers sell.

·
Super Moderator
3,834 Posts
Just bought a certified 2020 Ascent Limited with 19,000. I’m in California and I paid $561 for the 7/100k plan with the $100 deductible.
I agree with Packout. That's a fraction of the cost for the Gold plan...it's likely the "added care" lower level plan.

·
Administrator
10,945 Posts
A Certified Pre-Owned Plan is a little different, and sometimes comes at quite different prices. There are two tiers. Part of the cost is often rolled into the costs of the car's extensive testing, diagnostics and work to make it qualify as a CPO, so, the pricing on warranties can be generally lower.

So, sadly, your CPO "Warranty" Plan price isn't indicative of what a Classic or Gold Plus "warranty" plan would cost on a new purchase. It's actually below or well below the cost of a Subaru new car "warranty".

Option 1
7 year or 100,000 Miles CPO "Classic" Wrap-around plan with Roadside Assistance
Classic plans cover nearly 1000 parts in all major component areas, including engine, transmission, drivetrains, front suspension, steering, brakes, electrical, cooling and fuel systems and air conditioning. Also provides towing and rental car reimbursement for covered repairs.

Option 2
7 year or 100,000 Miles CPO "Gold Plus" Wrap around plan with Roadside Assistance
Gold Plus plans include all Classic plan coverage plus hundreds more parts. In fact they provide essentially the same "bumper-to-bumper" coverage as the basic factory warranty. Only a few maintenance items and body parts are not covered. The Gold Plus plan also reimburses for lodging and meals when a breakdown interrupts your out-of-town travel, and includes computerized trip routing, retailer locator service and travel assistance.

·
Registered
208 Posts
In any case, the VIN of your vehicle has the plan you are under.

When I did my own Gold Plus warranty, I did receive paperwork from the dealership, and it appeared to need countersigning (my signature), I called the dealership to see if I needed to sign and send back/drop off.

They said no, as the payment was received, the document went out to me as a courtesy, because Gold Plus (and from that I assume Classic) is tied to your vehicle's VIN so wherever you take it for service, they know.

·
Registered
4 Posts
A Certified Pre-Owned Plan is a little different, and sometimes comes at quite different prices. There are two tiers. Part of the cost is often rolled into the costs of the car's extensive testing, diagnostics and work to make it qualify as a CPO, so, the pricing on warranties can be generally lower.

So, sadly, your CPO "Warranty" Plan price isn't indicative of what a Classic or Gold Plus "warranty" plan would cost on a new purchase. It's actually below or well below the cost of a Subaru new car "warranty".

Option 1
7 year or 100,000 Miles CPO "Classic" Wrap-around plan with Roadside Assistance
Classic plans cover nearly 1000 parts in all major component areas, including engine, transmission, drivetrains, front suspension, steering, brakes, electrical, cooling and fuel systems and air conditioning. Also provides towing and rental car reimbursement for covered repairs.

Option 2
7 year or 100,000 Miles CPO "Gold Plus" Wrap around plan with Roadside Assistance
Gold Plus plans include all Classic plan coverage plus hundreds more parts. In fact they provide essentially the same "bumper-to-bumper" coverage as the basic factory warranty. Only a few maintenance items and body parts are not covered. The Gold Plus plan also reimburses for lodging and meals when a breakdown interrupts your out-of-town travel, and includes computerized trip routing, retailer locator service and travel assistance.
Hi Robert,
I think you hit the nail on the head. I got option 2 on my CPO. I figured it was probably a little different than what the cost was for new but figured it could be beneficial for anyone reading this post. The person selling me the warranty gave me an initial price of over $1500 (I don’t remember exactly what it was).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Keep in mind, the gold plus plan will no longer include the road hazard protection.

The one that includes the road hazard protection is called Subaru Equity Shield, and I believe not every dealership is offering this currently.
We had a situation where it would not cover our tow to the nearest dealer. They wanted $200 extra for 45 miles. So our Nationwide one on our auto insurance towed it for no additional cost. AAA only 3 miles. So we didn't renew that either!

41 - 60 of 94 Posts