Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, to make it not simple--ours is actually the gold plus coverage on a pre-owned Subaru--Certified Pre-Owned Gold Plus Warranty so may be a totally different animal.

But to get the ball started--finance guy told us the price was $1995. We countered with $1000. We got it at $1250. We have no idea if that was a good deal or not and I knew we could wait and call Luke, but it was so late and we were ready to be done. That sounds like the auto-buying equivalent of, "Hold my beer," right? "So late, so tired, just went ahead and said yeah and signed." LOL

$100 deductible, 7 years; 100,000 miles.

But let's just see what numbers different people have paid, if that's okay with management.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,723 Posts
Term for years/miles? Deductible? They both matter for price.

·
Registered
561 Posts
So, to make it not simple--ours is actually the gold plus coverage on a pre-owned Subaru--Certified Pre-Owned Gold Plus Warranty so may be a totally different animal.

But to get the ball started--finance guy told us the price was $1995. We countered with $1000. We got it at $1250. We have no idea if that was a good deal or not and I knew we could wait and call Luke, but it was so late and we were ready to be done. That sounds like the auto-buying equivalent of, "Hold my beer," right? "So late, so tired, just went ahead and said yeah and signed." LOL

But let's just see what numbers different people have paid, if that's okay with management.
Well, the fellow/dealership (Luke) that is selling them at "cost" has requested his prices NOT be posted on social media. Too many dealerships/salespeople on this site and the FB page were complaining to SOA. Thus the request. But, you received a very good price!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah, but you see, I didn't say where I got my price. I figured if people didn't say where, then it wouldn't be a problem. LOL! [Although it's true that by bringing up a certain person's name, I guess maybe I killed the discussion before it could start!]

·
Registered
104 Posts
We got Subaru Gold Added protection (8 years/80,000 miles/$100 deductible) for $1600. Probably could have bargained for lower price, but dealer had given us a better price than other dealers on our 2012 Forester trade-in and we also saved with IMBA VIP pricing (dealer invoice) and $750 Subaru loyalty coupon (we own two Subaru's).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ordered Ascent in January and picked up in March. Declined all extras until delivery date.

The dealer started at like $1650 or something ridiculous. When I finally sat down with finance manager, he showed me their price list w/ retail rates and their price was $820, he said he could go as low as $100 over, so we agreed on $920. I decided to take that and run because I plan to drive this vehicle until it dies....which I hope will be a VERY long time from now.

I heard about "the other guy" after my purchase, but was able to get his price list and it was another $100 higher. It seems like he is doing $200 over dealer cost from what I could see.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Does the extended warranty need to be added at point of sale or can it be added until you hit the end of the initial 3 year warranty period?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Keep in mind, the gold plus plan will no longer include the road hazard protection.

The one that includes the road hazard protection is called Subaru Equity Shield, and I believe not every dealership is offering this currently.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts

If you take a lot of road trips, the gold plus appears to be very beneficial. Otherwise, you have to consider if $1250 is worth the Classic warranty or not.

Free Basic Warranty: approximately the 1st three years, Subaru covers your car bumper-to-bumper
Free Limited Powertrain: approximately the 1st five years, Subaru covers your engine and tranny

In terms of powertrain coverage, you're paying for only two years. However, the gold plus covers the ancillary components that, which the limited powertrain does not offer, and of course the other perks.

Another way to look at what you're paying is that you're betting that you'll keep the car for 5+ years, while the dealership bet that you won't.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Sent an email to Luke yesterday. He responded last night with prices. They were substantially less than what my dealer quoted me. We take delivery on a 2020 Ascent limited in August. Will definitely contact Luke when we take delivery

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sent an email to Luke yesterday. He responded last night with prices. They were substantially less than what my dealer quoted me. We take delivery on a 2020 Ascent limited in August. Will definitely contact Luke when we take delivery
Unfortunately, Luke is no longer with any Subaru dealership. I got an auto-response email where he recommends contacting Planet Subaru to get the extended warranty. I contacted Planet Subaru, but they informed me that they can't sell to people in California (where I am located).

I called Matt Jacobs at the Stamford Subaru dealership (where Luke used to work at), but he said he's dealing with the end of the month rush and asked that I contact him in early August to work something out. I'm getting my 2019 Ascent tomorrow, and will hold off on getting the warranty until I get prices from Matt. I got prices from Luke a few months ago, but that was before the rate increases.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yesterday, I paid $1750 for 10/100k 0 deductible Gold Plus plan, on a 2020 Touring purchased with ASPCA VIP program (invoice -2%).

I was also negotiating prices below retail outside VIP, and was able to negotiate $1750 at another dealer.

I was shopping dealers in the Atlanta GA Metro area.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just received the recent price list today from Luke's replacement. They took a big jump! 10/100k/ 0 deductible is $2,570 plus sales tax. The earliest post that reported paying about $1,250 seems to have a great deal. I'm in the market for a 5/100 with or without the deductible. Please feel free to PM me if you know a good deal out there. Thanks! Jack

1 - 20 of 92 Posts