Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me start by saying that I know I should be holding the steering wheel at all times with both hands just above 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock. I know this yet I am human and on occasion do otherwise. I have, in a safe location and with my hands hovering near the steering wheel, tried to play with the car's AI a bit and let it try to keep me in my lane without touching the wheel. After a short time of this the center console lights up with a notice to keep my hands on the wheel. I have had this message appear when I HAVE had one or both hands on the wheel, just below 3 and 9 o'clock. I also imagine this information is being saved in the car's activity log in case of accident.

The message goes away, I think, as soon as I touch the wheel or turn the wheel. Does anyone know exactly how the car senses my hands are not on the steering wheel? :dunno: Is it an electronic current thing or maybe the action of turning the wheel? I am very curious about this and I promise I am doing better about keeping my hands properly placed on the wheel! :grin:

·
Registered
261 Posts
This has happened to me too on occasion—with my hands in the wheel—on road trips with a straight stretch of road, where I kept my hands perfectly still. I think it senses if you’ve moved the steering wheel in a certain period of time. I was able to have the message go away by just gently and very very slightly moving the steering wheel.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Check the EYESIGHT manual
Thanks Luis, that seems to say that the detection is actually turning the steering wheel. I will say it is very very sensitive to that action. It has turned off the warning when I thought I hadn't turned the wheel at all, just gripped it tighter or moved my hands.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I've had this problem on both my Ascent and my S4. Drive too long on a perfectly straight road and the system complains you aren't holding the wheel, even if you are. The Audi system is far more annoying about this however.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Thanks Luis, that seems to say that the detection is actually turning the steering wheel. I will say it is very very sensitive to that action. It has turned off the warning when I thought I hadn't turned the wheel at all, just gripped it tighter or moved my hands.
No problem,there’s alot of material to read about this Eyesight system.I just picked a page that was close to what you were experiencing.I’ve owned my Ascent since November ‘18 and I’m still find myself skimming through the manuals,easier when it’s on a smart phone.

·
Registered
646 Posts
The only way I've had it activate is when you let it ping pong side to side 3 times. As in you let it correct for you 3 times in a short span and it will yell at you. I have not had it happen on long straight stretches but our roads aren't smooth enough to require no input.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Yes, happens to me all the time. No steering input and it'll yell at you, even though you don't NEED to move the steering wheel!

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium
366 Posts
Let me start by saying that I know I should be holding the steering wheel at all times with both hands just above 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock. I know this yet I am human and on occasion do otherwise. I have, in a safe location and with my hands hovering near the steering wheel, tried to play with the car's AI a bit and let it try to keep me in my lane without touching the wheel. After a short time of this the center console lights up with a notice to keep my hands on the wheel. I have had this message appear when I HAVE had one or both hands on the wheel, just below 3 and 9 o'clock. I also imagine this information is being saved in the car's activity log in case of accident.

The message goes away, I think, as soon as I touch the wheel or turn the wheel. Does anyone know exactly how the car senses my hands are not on the steering wheel? :dunno: Is it an electronic current thing or maybe the action of turning the wheel? I am very curious about this and I promise I am doing better about keeping my hands properly placed on the wheel! :grin:[/QUOTE

I've never encountered this, regardless of how many hands I have on the steering wheel, and regardless of what position they are in - very strange. Having said that, I don't drive without at least one hand on the steering wheel, so maybe the act of driving without any hands on the steering wheel initiates a separate set of warning parameters.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Put it on an arm lift or jackstands and run it at 40 stationary and see if it yells at ya :)

·
Registered
920 Posts
From all the testing I've done it triggers one of 2 ways.

Too many "Lane Departure" warnings in x minutes.
NO steering input for Y seconds.

So if you let go and let it "do it's thang" and pinball back and forth between the lines it'll yell at you.

Or if you are on a straight flat smooth road (like rural AZ) and have one hand lightly on the wheel but don't have to turn it at ALL, it'll yell at me. A slight turn of the wheel and it goes away.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.