Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone purchased kayak roof racks on the Ascent? If yes what brand and did you have dealer install?

·
Super Moderator
2,431 Posts
Do you mean just the kayak mount that goes on top of the crossbars or are you asking about the whole package including the crossbars?

I just put some Thule J-bars on top of my OEM aero crossbars. Easy to install or remove myself as needed.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just the kayak mount I believe because i ordered the aero bars from the dealer with the car which should arrive next week. I want to immediately get the kayak mount but I’m not sure what would be the best one I should purchase for two kayaks. Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
2,431 Posts
If you’re going to leave them installed I’d recommend a set that can fold flat. I had to take mine off the other day just to fit in a parking garage. It really depends on how much you want to spend. They have everything from your basic j-bars to ones that fold flat when not in use and even ones that can lower your kayak down the side of the car for you, which would be nice because the Ascent’s roof is fairly high.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh I have to find the ones that lower down the side of my car. Thank you very much! This information is extremely helpful.

·
Registered
9 Posts
We use the Malone fold down racks. Good product. We have used the Thule racks in the past and prefer the Malone system for cost, durability and price.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you very much! Has anyone used the Yakima JayLow Kayak Carrier?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the JayLows that I used for 2 years on my Outback before we got the Ascent. I love that they are easy to install or remove and can easily fold down but I will say the whistling sound that they generate when folded down drove me crazy so I took them off recently. The sound is much more noticeable than what I had in the Outback. I can only get out to kayak a couple of times a month though. If you kayak more frequently, then you might be more willing to deal with the sound. Also, I am convinced that they were lowering my gas mileage but I didn’t take the time to verify that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you very nick! I like that they’re easy to install but not so much the noise or lowering gas mileage. I wonder if that’s with Thule also.

·
Registered
64 Posts
The Thule Hullavator rack that raise and lower the kayak are sweet but very expensive -at $500.

I just use the regular Thule racks on my vehicle. I do need a step stool though to get the kayak up on the tall roof.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The Thule Hullavator rack that raise and lower the kayak are sweet but very expensive -at $500.

I just use the regular Thule racks on my vehicle. I do need a step stool though to get the kayak up on the tall roof.
I'm not allowed to posts links yet, but search "Car Door Step Vehicle Doorstep Folding" on Amazon. Very sturdy and no step stool required.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts