Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used one of the suction cup rollers that attach to the rear window or to the roof for loading kayaks from the rear? I use a Hullavator for loading my 17 1/2' sea kayak but typically carried a second kayak and sometimes a 3rd kayak on my Outback. I now have an Ascent and the roof racks are about 4" higher than they were on the Outback as well as the roof racks being further forward on the rails making getting the additional kayaks harder to get onto the saddles. I use the Yakama SweetRoll saddles for the 2nd kayak. I am wondering if using Seattle Sports Sherpak Suction Boat Roller or similar will work in keeping the kayaks off the tailgate deflector and or roof till the bow gets to the SweetRoll. if that will work I'll probably replace the J Racks with another SweetRoll for the 3rd kayak. All our kayaks are 16'+ Seakayaks. I searched the Forum but didn't find anything so if this has already been discussed I apologize.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's my fear as well. I am not sure if I want to spend the money on one to find out that they don't work. The Yakama SweetRoll works really well once you get the hull on the roller, but it's getting the hull on the roller that will be the problem. My Ascent is a week old and it will be another 3 months before I get a chance to try rear loading a 2nd boat. The other option is to use one of the pads that drape over the spoiler but I am somewhat worried about damaging the spoiler with the extra weight.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I don't have my Ascent yet, but on my outback and my wife's santa fe, I load kayaks from the rear of the car. I just throw a heavy bath mat over the spoiler/rear. The sticky padding on the backside keeps the mat from slipping and provides enough cushion (assuming you're not dropping the boat on the car.

Works well and is cheap.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The Santa Fe Sport is approximately the same height though the roof rack on the Ascent is a few inches taller. It will be certainly harder to deadlift kayaks into the J- hook type carriers we use for our sit-in kayaks, but I honestly don't see to much issue with loading my sit-on-top from the rear of the vehicle.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
The Santa Fe Sport is approximately the same height though the roof rack on the Ascent is a few inches taller. It will be certainly harder to deadlift kayaks into the J- hook type carriers we use for our sit-in kayaks, but I honestly don't see to much issue with loading my sit-on-top from the rear of the vehicle.
I had a Santa Fe for a short time before the Ascent so because I was used to loading my sit-inside on its roof I earned a nice little dent above the C pillar on my Ascent. So from whichever direction you’re loading a kayak or anything on the roof be careful!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Back to the OP's question, if you are a looking for a device to help that may be a bit more robust, the Yakima ShowBoat 66 could be the ticket too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is an interesting method if you already have a kayak wheel transport, but a method to not have it rest on the window would be best.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts