Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to purchase J racks to transport 2 kayaks. I understand on securing the kayaks to the J racks, however, it is recommended to tie down the bow and stern of each kayak. My concern about tying the ends down is where do I tie them down to the vehicle without damaging the paint job from rubbing tie downs.

·
Super Moderator
2,586 Posts
10 feet. They are lightweight.
Honestly I wouldn’t worry about tying down the front or back end of a 10’ kayak; it’s small in relation to the Ascent. Of course you should still make sure it’s properly secured but extra tie downs may be just, extra.
I carried a 10’ kayak 200+ miles on top of a Chevy Cruze with no extra ropes.
That said, your options are kind of limited. If you have a tow hitch there’s that, and the 2 front tow points, but you’d have to protect the paint from the straps either way.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Old post, but in case someone searches in the future. You can make your own nylon loops out of old seatbelts or other strong webbing, and I used the headlight bolt that's about halfway back along the hood to attach them to the car. Did use painter's tape on the hood itself as you can see to prevent any rubbing directly on the paint. When not needed, just throw them under the hood.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts