Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We were aiming to buy the Touring trim but we are having a hard time getting our heads around the brown leather. We also want the heated and cooled option. So at this point we are looking to "option up" the Limited with Ivory seats to Touring level, and see if Katzkin will install just their heat/cool system into our front seats. I submitted a request so somebody will likely call pretty soon.

I was just wondering if anyone else has already gone this route or has used Katzkin for any other car.

Jim

·
Registered
357 Posts
This is not a option unless you go touring, seats are made different.

You could go with a aftermarket device.

·
Registered
313 Posts
This is not a option unless you go touring, seats are made different.

You could go with a aftermarket device.
"Katzkin" they mentioned and asked about is that aftermarket option. Katzkin has the Ascent Premium listed as having options for new leather covers and they list heating and cooling options. I'm guessing it is pricey.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
talked to katzkin

I got a quote of about $1600 to replace cloth with leather in the Premium (not the question I asked them) and an additional $1000 to add heat/cooling. I thought they could just replace factory heat with heat/cooling in the Limited leather seats by the guy said the foam was built differently so they couldn't do it. So we are back to adjusting to brown leather. We drove it again today and we are getting used to it. We also drove a Kia Sorento. Nice vehicle but I was surprised at how slow it was passing (50-70mph). Even after the sales guy put the trans in sport mode it wasn't that much quicker.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I to know about the heated/cool seat upgrade but I was able to have my seats reupholstered to match the OEM slate color with a blue stitching. Our pattern and leather was from Classic Soft Trim! Also no problem with my heated seats after swapping out the cloth.

Attachments

·
Registered
492 Posts
I to know about the heated/cool seat upgrade but I was able to have my seats reupholstered to match the OEM slate color with a blue stitching. Our pattern and leather was from Classic Soft Trim! Also no problem with my heated seats after swapping out the cloth.
That is some fine work!

Is that katzkin or did a local shop do that for you?

And if I read your post correctly, you have a base or premium Ascent? Did yours come with the extendable thigh support on the drivers seat? Or was that a trade off (losing it) for getting the new leather upholstery?

·
Registered
141 Posts
That is some fine work!

Is that katzkin or did a local shop do that for you?

And if I read your post correctly, you have a base or premium Ascent? Did yours come with the extendable thigh support on the drivers seat? Or was that a trade off (losing it) for getting the new leather upholstery?

Our leather was done by my local classic soft trim shop. Classic SoftTrim is a national company and competitor of Katzskin. They are the two largest and most known of companies

Our Ascent is a Premium with all the available upgrades like sport package. It doesn’t have the extendable thigh support, had it on our previous BMW and to be honest never once used it.

( http://classicsofttrim.com )

·
Registered
13 Posts
I got a quote of about $1600 to replace cloth with leather in the Premium (not the question I asked them) and an additional $1000 to add heat/cooling. I thought they could just replace factory heat with heat/cooling in the Limited leather seats by the guy said the foam was built differently so they couldn't do it. So we are back to adjusting to brown leather. We drove it again today and we are getting used to it. We also drove a Kia Sorento. Nice vehicle but I was surprised at how slow it was passing (50-70mph). Even after the sales guy put the trans in sport mode it wasn't that much quicker.
I was hesitant on the brown leather, but really wanted the options of the touring. Definetely has grown on me and overall I'm very happy I want with it.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Our leather was done by my local classic soft trim shop. Classic SoftTrim is a national company and competitor of Katzskin. They are the two largest and most known of companies

Our Ascent is a Premium with all the available upgrades like sport package. It doesn’t have the extendable thigh support, had it on our previous BMW and to be honest never once used it.

( Classic Soft Trim - Leather Car Interiors, Leather Seat Covers )
That really is impressive work. Maybe I haven't seen current work from Katzkin but I'd say this is of much higher caliber. I really like it!

If you don't mind me asking, how much did this run you for the full replacement? I'm guessing you did the 3rd row too?

·
Registered
764 Posts
That really is impressive work. Maybe I haven't seen current work from Katzkin but I'd say this is of much higher caliber. I really like it!

If you don't mind me asking, how much did this run you for the full replacement? I'm guessing you did the 3rd row too?

I had a customer add Katzkin leather to his premium Ascent. You'll find it between $1600-$2000 depending on who installs it and if you get the perforation, double stitching, colored stitching, etc. We've got a pretty good installer here and it looks really good. Its actually softer than the factory leather imo.

·
Registered
141 Posts

( Classic Soft Trim - Leather Car Interiors, Leather Seat Covers )

I had a customer add Katzkin leather to his premium Ascent. You'll find it between $1600-$2000 depending on who installs it and if you get the perforation, double stitching, colored stitching, etc. We've got a pretty good installer here and it looks really good. Its actually softer than the factory leather imo.

So we had the dealership add it in when we purchased the Ascent and at the time they didn’t have an actual estimate so they charged us what it would cost to do an outback $1300. Yes all 3 rows where completed

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
So we had the dealership add it in when we purchased the Ascent and at the time they didn’t have an actual estimate so they charged us what it would cost to do an outback $1300. Yes all 3 rows where completed
You got a steal of a deal!! As mentioned before, the price should have been in the $1,800 range.

·
Registered
141 Posts
You got a steal of a deal!! As mentioned before, the price should have been in the $1,800 range.

O yea, I wasn’t going to pass up that deal!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts