Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife got a new 2020 Ascent the day before Thanksgiving (Crimson Red Pearl, Touring). When the time comes, I'll be doing the maintenance. In the meantime, I'm adjusting to being overwhelmed with all the features.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Yea, these things do a lot of stuff. Just remember to keep your eye on the road as you fiddle. I had my wife drive as I sorted stuff out. Ha!
Is this your first Subaru?

·
Super Moderator
6,360 Posts
Wife got a new 2020 Ascent the day before Thanksgiving (Crimson Red Pearl, Touring). When the time comes, I'll be doing the maintenance. In the meantime, I'm adjusting to being overwhelmed with all the features.
Congratulations!

Important maintenance tip:
Don't mistake the CVT drain plug for the oil drain plug.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea, these things do a lot of stuff. Just remember to keep your eye on the road as you fiddle. I had my wife drive as I sorted stuff out. Ha!
Yes, first Subaru ever. We were very close to getting the Hyundai but took a look at the Subaru and, well, the rest is history I guess.

·
Registered
565 Posts

Here is the engine oil drain plug.

I’m new to Subaru and heard too many horror stories about folks draining the transmission and pouring new engine oil on top of old. Then driving off with no transmission fluid and double engine oil. Both bad situations. I was so cautious on my first oil change that I started by checking the oil level. Draining the oil. Confirmed the engine oil was drained and not some other fluid by rechecking the dipstick. Putting oil in and checked the dipstick again to make sure all is well. I know I was a bit silly but the cost of failure is rather high.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
View attachment 2398

Here is the engine oil drain plug.

I’m new to Subaru and heard too many horror stories about folks draining the transmission and pouring new engine oil on top of old. Then driving off with no transmission fluid and double engine oil. Both bad situations. I was so cautious on my first oil change that I started by checking the oil level. Draining the oil. Confirmed the engine oil was drained and not some other fluid by rechecking the dipstick. Putting oil in and checked the dipstick again to make sure all is well. I know I was a bit silly but the cost of failure is rather high.
Thanks for the pics. And the sticker idea. I was thinking of marking it with a paint pen.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Since we’re on the subject, if you plan on doing your own oil/filter changes, another option is to install a Fumoto drain valve on your first change. Assuming you do it right the first time, you shouldn’t mix up the two drain plugs in the future.

·
Registered
452 Posts
^^^ yeah. I put one on my previous vehicle and it was very handy. It's got a pretty small hole so draining is a little slow even with warm 0W20, but not really a problem. I never brought it in anywhere to get the oil changed so don't know how a dealer/shop would deal with it. What's been your experience?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts