Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time ever:

A SUBARU STARLINK™ software update is available for your vehicle. Take advantage of the latest software enhancements and fixes to improve your driving experience.

This update specifically addresses the following:

1. General stability and reliability improvements
  2. AM/FM station presets becoming lost and replaced by “Hold”
  3. Static or “noise” when listening to AM radio stations
  4. Loss of downloaded Phone Contact list information
  5. Music “skipping” concerns when using CarPlay
  6. Music not playing automatically when connecting a USB device
  7. “Invalid Destination Code” message
  8. “Scan” text display updated to “Tune Scan” when SXM starts to tune channels

·
Registered
559 Posts
Yep, I just got the same email. It states to download the update via wifi. I read here that the Premium radios can't be updated via wifi. So which is it?

·
Registered
118 Posts
I am able to download it via the Map Downloader software and I am currently installing to a USB drive.

Reactions: kathytn

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
The latest update I see is still August 2019, so perhaps they are just catching up on update emails.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I got that too.But when checking in car nothing showing up. Please post here if any one actually updated it.
Check your software version number by going to general settings, system status. If it says Rel UE 19.22.70 or Rel UE 19.25.70, that is this update and you have it already.

·
Registered
275 Posts
First time ever:

A SUBARU STARLINK™ software update is available for your vehicle. Take advantage of the latest software enhancements and fixes to improve your driving experience.

This update specifically addresses the following:

1. General stability and reliability improvements
  2. AM/FM station presets becoming lost and replaced by “Hold”
  3. Static or “noise” when listening to AM radio stations
  4. Loss of downloaded Phone Contact list information
  5. Music “skipping” concerns when using CarPlay
  6. Music not playing automatically when connecting a USB device
  7. “Invalid Destination Code” message
  8. “Scan” text display updated to “Tune Scan” when SXM starts to tune channels
So it took them 15 months since launch to fix the Preset issue.... (assuming it is fixed indeed)

·
Super Moderator
2,423 Posts
#metoo

i got the email the op received within the last hour. Mine is a premium, non-nav. I started her up, connected it to my home WiFi, and checked for updates. It found the update immediately and took maybe 5 minutes to download it. I drove a couple miles with the update prompt on the screen then put it back in park and tapped update. It only took about another 5 minutes to install the update. I’ll have to play with things to see if the presets are fixed or anything else new happens.

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
Check your software version number by going to general settings, system status. If it says Rel UE 19.22.70 or Rel UE 19.25.70, that is this update and you have it already.
Nope, my head unit updated last week or so.
Sorry no. There's a lot of confusion about the updates. You just updated with February or August firmware.

• .22 is February and up to date.
  • .25 is August and up to date (February re-release with fixes for the Outback and Legacy)
A dealership could have updated it for you as early as February. Over the air was just enabled about a week ago, and is pushing the .22 update.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
... I’ll have to play with things to see if the presets are fixed or anything else new happens....
See if all the apps that were there prior are still there. I number of mine are missing after the update.

Edit: Doh! Never mind. The apps I was looking for are in the Starlink app, not directly under apps on the head unit.

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
So it took them 15 months since launch to fix the Preset issue.... (assuming it is fixed indeed)
Actually, I diagnosed the cause in August 2018 and reported it, as well as other bugs, and provided technical info, videos and a report on a security bug which HK worked on fixing.

A preliminary presets fix was in the December 2018 update. The full fix was in the February 2019 update.

The security hole is why OTA wasn't enabled until now, btw. Those and other security bugs also affected VW, Audi and other manufacturers that use the Harman Kardon head unit. There was also another security vulnerability regarding the USB update mechanism, which also affected Audi. I reported my colleague's findings on that, shortly after he spent a couple hours explaining the exploit at B-SidesCT in 2018. Cybersecurity is part of my day job.

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
Interesting, my brand new non-nav says no update available and it’s on 19.01.70
A dealership can manually update it for you. There's a TSB with notes and instructions for them. If you happen to mention that you are losing presets and you know there's an update that fixes it, per a TSB, they should take care of you.

Or try again in a week or so. If it's like the Android ecosystems, updates aren't pushed to everyone at once.

·
Super Moderator
2,423 Posts
See if all the apps that were there prior are still there. I number of mine are missing after the update.
Unfortunately i wouldn’t know if any changes were made. I don’t use any built in apps. CarPlay is so much faster and smoother.

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
Unfortunately i wouldn’t know if any changes were made. I don’t use any built in apps. CarPlay is so much faster and smoother.
And my Android Auto connection is more stable.

I am still trying to figure out if the most recent update introduced a Bluetooth bug... but seemingly, mine has stopped the volume quirk I was experiencing.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Sorry no. There's a lot of confusion about the updates. You just updated with February or August firmware.

• .22 is February and up to date.
  • .25 is August and up to date (February re-release with fixes for the Outback and Legacy)
A dealership could have updated it for you as early as February. Over the air was just enabled about a week ago, and is pushing the .22 update.
Greetings,
Any notion for why Subaru is seeing out emails now for the August update? I updated in August (using the USB method) for Rel UE 19.25.70.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
800 Posts
Greetings,
Any notion for why Subaru is seeing out emails now for the August update? I updated in August (using the USB method) for Rel UE 19.25.70.
My guess is that it's because of the new OTA update feature they want people to know about. The link in the email loads a PDF with the OTA instructions.

I'm sure lots of people who aren't blessed with membership to this forum haven't tried the old method or even knew they could do an update.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts