Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought long and hard about this but decided to switch from a Premium to a Limited. The price on the Premium is amazing for what you got. Dealer is charging a small "change" fee of $300 but they are going to transfer my deposit and still providing good pricing. I know we would have been happy with the Premium but I wish I had more info on the cloth seats. My wife kept looking at cars in any parking lot we walked through and commenting on how the cloth seats looked cheap and she hoped the Subaru were better. My wife's friend summed it up with the following "you will have this car for the next 10 years, get what you want". Not worth hearing about how cheap I am for the next 10 years. Just got bumped from July delivery to Sept or October. The dealer asked if I wanted to be put on a "list" for any Limited orders that get cancelled by a buyer in case we are interested in getting one sooner. I said **** yes, put me on it. They just had someone cancel when their car died and they had to buy a Highlander to replace it. Unfortunately it was another Premium. You would think they would like it when people cancel so they have more cars on the lot they can sell at MSRP.

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
Thought long and hard about this but decided to switch from a Premium to a Limited. The price on the Premium is amazing for what you got. Dealer is charging a small "change" fee of $300 but they are going to transfer my deposit and still providing good pricing. I know we would have been happy with the Premium but I wish I had more info on the cloth seats. My wife kept looking at cars in any parking lot we walked through and commenting on how the cloth seats looked cheap and she hoped the Subaru were better. My wife's friend summed it up with the following "you will have this car for the next 10 years, get what you want". Not worth hearing about how cheap I am for the next 10 years. Just got bumped from July delivery to Sept or October. The dealer asked if I wanted to be put on a "list" for any Limited orders that get cancelled by a buyer in case we are interested in getting one sooner. I said **** yes, put me on it. They just had someone cancel when their car died and they had to buy a Highlander to replace it. Unfortunately it was another Premium. You would think they would like it when people cancel so they have more cars on the lot they can sell at MSRP.
Sorry that happened to you. The cars.com youtube review shows the seats in the premium. The water repelling nature is cool, but the ivory accent areas do look cheaper.

Reactions: gsctht

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Regarding your comment of the cloth upholstery looking cheap, we have cloth seats in our 2004 Civic and they still look great after 100,000 miles. The cars we have (2013 Elantra, 2016 WRX, 2012 Camry, 2017 Ridgeline) with leather have considerably more wear (cracking and scrapes) than our 14 year old Civic.

I think a lot depends upon the pattern and color used by the manufacturer. You will love the Limited, but I am sure the Premium would have been fine, unless you get a ton of spills in your vehicle.

Attachments

·
Registered
492 Posts
Regarding your comment of the cloth upholstery looking cheap, we have cloth seats in our 2004 Civic and they still look great after 100,000 miles. The cars we have (2013 Elantra, 2016 WRX, 2012 Camry, 2017 Ridgeline) with leather have considerably more wear (cracking and scrapes) than our 14 year old Civic.

I think a lot depends upon the pattern and color used by the manufacturer. You will love the Limited, but I am sure the Premium would have been fine, unless you get a ton of spills in your vehicle.
Wow, you weren't kidding, those cloth seats do look real nice. Good job keeping those things so new looking! Our 2006 Volvo S40 has cloth seats but the T-Tech portion (I think is what it's called) is cracked and the cloth parts are a little stained.

To the OP, I would stick with the Limited, keep your lady happy :smile:

But I would put up a fight in regards to the "change fee" that's just silly. Tell them to forget about it all together and get your deposit back and then tell them you're going to take your business elsewhere. I'm sure they'd probably waive that rediculous fee real quick to keep a guaranteed customer.

In all honesty you could probably still find a different dealer that still has July allotment too.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Wow, you weren't kidding, those cloth seats do look real nice. Good job keeping those things so new looking! Our 2006 Volvo S40 has cloth seats but the T-Tech portion (I think is what it's called) is cracked and the cloth parts are a little stained.

To the OP, I would stick with the Limited, keep your lady happy ?

But I would put up a fight in regards to the "change fee" that's just silly. Tell them to forget about it all together and get your deposit back and then tell them you're going to take your business elsewhere. I'm sure they'd probably waive that rediculous fee real quick to keep a guaranteed customer.

In all honesty you could probably still find a different dealer that still has July allotment too.
I've been trying to find a July allotment for the past six weeks, and the only ones allowing this sold the car at or just below MSRP. I'm getting mine for about $3k under MSRP, so beggars can't be choosers, I guess.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I've been trying to find a July allotment for the past six weeks, and the only ones allowing this sold the car at or just below MSRP. I'm getting mine for about $3k under MSRP, so beggars can't be choosers, I guess.
You're right about the begging choosing thing, but it was only a couple weeks ago I heard from a couple dealerships that they still had July available. They are in Florida too.

One thing to keep in mind too, is that all these dealers should still be getting a couple/few in that are not supposed to be earmarked for anyone and would be first come first served units. Someone who hasn't ordered yet or lost their place in line could potentially still get what they wanted come July (hopefully late June). Just be first in line at the door :smile:

·
Registered
106 Posts
We got a limited and ordered the captain chairs, than we saw them in person and liked the bench better. So instead of July we get it in September and they had to re order it. But wasn’t charged for anything and still got the same negotiated price! I’d call them out on the $300!

·
Registered
965 Posts
Dealer is charging a small "change" fee of $300 but they are going to transfer my deposit and still providing good pricing.
There are certain other people who have made what I consider appropriate comments about this practice.

Let's just say that something like that would not happen at my dealership and leave it at that.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
There are certain other people who have made what I consider appropriate comments about this practice.

Let's just say that something like that would not happen at my dealership and leave it at that.
That's why your dealership received "2017 dealer of the year" and not a "notice to cease and desist sales for 3 months" like a local Chevy dealer.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the feedback. I agree. I need to and will push back. Likely will wait until we are getting ready to close. I am pretty good about asking to talk to the next person up the food chain. If I need to put a call into the GM I will. That said, they have been nice to work with although some others on the forum had less positive experiences with this dealer. My thought was they would benefit from this by having another car on the lot. One of the sales mgrs I spoke to actually mentioned they could use the first Ascent to show potential customers. I remember waiting for my 3.6L Outback and no dealer had one I could test drive. Anything on the lot with a 3.6 was already sold. Also, I did just get an email saying August delivery so it is better but still not July.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am with you on the cloth seats holding up. I had a Prius for 11 years. Seats looked great when I sold it. Our 12 year old Honda Pilot has leather and Iggee seat covers so you can do the math. It wasn't just the seats in the Limited. My kids really wanted the 2nd row seat heaters. They use them in our Outback. I also started to warm up to the bigger rims and I think the lights are "better" on the Limited. Is the difference worth $4K? Hard to say which is proof the Subaru marketing people know what they are doing.

·
Registered
965 Posts
That's why your dealership received "2017 dealer of the year" and not a "notice to cease and desist sales for 3 months" like a local Chevy dealer.
Yeah - the Ascent forum won't let me modify my signature like I have it on the Outback forum. Over there I have all 5 of these listed.

2017 Dealer of the Year
2016 Dealer of the Year
2015 Dealer of the Year
2014 Dealer of the Year
2013 Dealer of the Year

Is it just coincidence that I started working here in 2013?

Yeah, probably. But it sounds good, anyway. :devil:

·
Administrator
11,117 Posts
Yeah - the Ascent forum won't let me modify my signature like I have it on the Outback forum. Over there I have all 5 of these listed.

2017 Dealer of the Year
2016 Dealer of the Year
2015 Dealer of the Year
2014 Dealer of the Year
2013 Dealer of the Year

Is it just coincidence that I started working here in 2013?

Yeah, probably. But it sounds good, anyway. :devil:
Hey Carl, I was bored, so... here's one image of all of them that you can try instead.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had the same thing happen. Buying for my wife, we initially thought an upgraded premium would be nice, then did the actual test drive and switched to a limited. We were told at first that they could contact Subaru corporate and keep my spot in line as nothing had actually been made yet, but then they backtracked and we were pushed from July to August. No "change fee" and that would have had me walking out for a different dealer. The type of dealer who pulls that will be doing other shady things as well - I would check out every line item they claim when actually purchasing.

Ultimately, the heated 2nd bench and heated steering wheel decided it. Well, that plus the wild west of Katzkin dealers I dealt with this summer putting new leather in my Toyota. The reputable companies charge an arm and a leg and the disreputable ones are in a neighborhood where you might lose an arm and a leg.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
We went through the same mental exercise - Premium and add leather later if we don't like the cloth, how important are heated passenger seats, etc.

I do want to make one point about the "change fee". While I will push back on that and I am pretty sure I will get it waived (in addition to the $500 SOA loyalty credit I will get to use), I am still paying under invoice even if the fee is applied. So, I don't plan to walk on this dealer and go pay invoice, over invoice or, God forbid, MSRP. While I appreciate some of the knowledge being shared on this board, those that are charging MSRP are gouging.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts