Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Ascent came in 1 day before we were off for a big road trip, so you can imagine I was pretty excited since it was not due until July (we left June 29). My wife, 3 kids and dog and I drove down to Hatteras, NC, drove on the beach and back up to Vermont with some around town driving down there, plus the original drive home from the dealer and we just barely hit 2k pulling in to the driveway.

No real complaints other than I wish the Starlink remote start would let me run it for more than 10 minutes. With the dog with us and it being 94F outside in places, it'd be nice to be able to run in somewhere for more than 10 minutes and not worry about the dog overheating or have to leave 1 adult behind to manage the dog.

Any questions, I'd be happy to answer.

·
Registered
598 Posts
My Ascent came in 1 day before we were off for a big road trip, so you can imagine I was pretty excited since it was not due until July (we left June 29). My wife, 3 kids and dog and I drove down to Hatteras, NC, drove on the beach and back up to Vermont with some around town driving down there, plus the original drive home from the dealer and we just barely hit 2k pulling in to the driveway.

No real complaints other than I wish the Starlink remote start would let me run it for more than 10 minutes. With the dog with us and it being 94F outside in places, it'd be nice to be able to run in somewhere for more than 10 minutes and not worry about the dog overheating or have to leave 1 adult behind to manage the dog.

Nice job racking up those miles! I agree about the remote start duration. Make a 15 and 20 min option as well or at least be able to extend the timer without having to let it shut off and re-remote start it.

·
Registered
119 Posts

How was the highway road noise?

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Good stuff, man. Any comments from the kids? Do you have the 7 or 8-pass model?

The 10min RS is sort of an industry standard, nothing new about it. In fact, Viper (or DEI product) are set at 12min default. What's news is that you're expecting functions of an aftermarket product on an OEM product - that has never been the case. In fact, in order to change the RS time on a Viper, you have to reprogram (manually or w/ computer) the hardware; therefore, it's not a software thing you can change on-the-fly.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good stuff, man. Any comments from the kids? Do you have the 7 or 8-pass model?

The 10min RS is sort of an industry standard, nothing new about it. In fact, Viper (or DEI product) are set at 12min default. What's news is that you're expecting functions of an aftermarket product on an OEM product - that has never been the case. In fact, in order to change the RS time on a Viper, you have to reprogram (manually or w/ computer) the hardware; therefore, it's not a software thing you can change on-the-fly.

Oh sorry, we have the 7 passenger with 2 car seats (1 year old and 3.5 year old) up front. It is a bit annoying to access the 3rd row with 2 car seats up front because the front seats won't fold with the rigid car seats. But my 7 year old was able to sneak either in front and through the aisle or behind 1 of the seats with it slid all the way forward. This will all get a lot easier when one of the two car seats goes away in a few months. I might throw the younger one in the back at that point.

10 minute is OK but obviously the computer can do multiple options--15 or 20 minutes would be nice. There might be some regulations behind this? I think my '16 was 15 minutes using the actual Subaru remote starter (not StarLink/MySubaru) which I don't have now.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Oh sorry, we have the 7 passenger with 2 car seats (1 year old and 3.5 year old) up front. It is a bit annoying to access the 3rd row with 2 car seats up front because the front seats won't fold with the rigid car seats. But my 7 year old was able to sneak either in front and through the aisle or behind 1 of the seats with it slid all the way forward. This will all get a lot easier when one of the two car seats goes away in a few months. I might throw the younger one in the back at that point.

10 minute is OK but obviously the computer can do multiple options--15 or 20 minutes would be nice. There might be some regulations behind this? I think my '16 was 15 minutes using the actual Subaru remote starter (not StarLink/MySubaru) which I don't have now.
The second row seats will slide forward without folding, have you tried that to see how much room you have to squeeze by? I did that on the vehicle we test drove, seemed to me it should work decently with forward facing car seats in them.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts

I reduced my 4Runner RS time from 12min to 6min, just enough to get the engine warmed up and ready in the morning before driving off. The STIS diagnostic system might be able to reprogram the setting. Keep in mind of the original purpose and meaning of the RS, which is to warm up engine and cool/heat cabin prior to entering.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The second row seats will slide forward without folding, have you tried that to see how much room you have to squeeze by? I did that on the vehicle we test drove, seemed to me it should work decently with forward facing car seats in them.

Yeah that seems to work OK. We just slide the seat all the way forward and they squeeze through. It is more direct than going through the aisle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
How did you feel about the cargo space on your trip. I also have 3 kids, one rear facing and two in a short booster. We currently have a Traverse and are considering the Ascent Touring. We do a lot of road trips and cargo space is important.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I found it very quiet. It seems more quiet than my '16 Outback. I think some of this could be due to the turbo motor. My friend's 05 XT is so so so quiet compared to my 05 2.5i.
Subaru SGP plus side window acoustical glass makes a big difference. And yes, the 2.4 DIT vs the noisy 2.5 found in your outback plays into it

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How did you feel about the cargo space on your trip. I also have 3 kids, one rear facing and two in a short booster. We currently have a Traverse and are considering the Ascent Touring. We do a lot of road trips and cargo space is important.

Coming from the 5th gen Outback which has a really decent trunk, the cargo space is tight!!! I am not sure how the Ascent compares to the Traverse though.

We had a large roof box on the old Outback and with that, the 5 of us, plus dog could squeeze in but the kids were nearly on top of each other.

We did NOT have the roof box on this first trip in the Ascent, but we will be putting it on the Ascent when I order some cross bars. In the Ascent, the people/dog have a lot more room but the cargo not so much.

Excuse the mess !!! Here we are about 12 of driving hours in haha..

·
Registered
3 Posts

Coming from the 5th gen Outback which has a really decent trunk, the cargo space is tight!!! I am not sure how the Ascent compares to the Traverse though.

We had a large roof box on the old Outback and with that, the 5 of us, plus dog could squeeze in but the kids were nearly on top of each other.

We did NOT have the roof box on this first trip in the Ascent, but we will be putting it on the Ascent when I order some cross bars. In the Ascent, the people/dog have a lot more room but the cargo not so much.

Excuse the mess !!! Here we are about 12 of driving hours in haha..
Thanks for the pic, that helps! We typically can have the larger 3rd row section down and just the small side up for the kid, so that does help. I’ll probably add on the roof rack for the extra space though. Can’t wait to test drive on saturday!

·
Registered
411 Posts
I cannot wait till September to get mine. dang it. We're going to be parking my 00 Grand Cherokee and have this be the new wife daily and weekend runner. I can say that most of the 3rd row will spend its time down for cargo; its nice to know that when we need to have it up, it's not too cramped!

I knew it coming in, it would be smaller in size with the 3rd row up, but we're ok with that. Enjoy!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Interesting mileage note, took a trip with my Ascent from NW IL to MI and was heavy on the pedal but had no weight just me and a backpack for a one night trip and average 26.5 with Mobil regular gas. Have another trip plan this upcoming week to Madison WI with the family added weight wonder if the fuel economy will drop much. Bty the Michigan trip I was around 600 and returning with just over 1000k and finally floored it. I was impressed just wish Subaru would eliminate the fake shifting for even quicker acceleration like my Forester XT.
- side not got too frustrated with lane assist and had to turn it off got me dangerously close to 18 wheelers and seemed overly aggressive nudging me consistently.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yes, and I always thought that a safety considerations (e.g., avoiding CO deaths after someone remote starts their car in a closed garage and then leaves it running for long periods of time, which I am sure people would do if they could) probably factors into how long companies will allow their remote start functions to run.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hatteras

I live in Cary, NC and go surf fishing at Hatteras several times a year. I have a 4WD Envoy now which does very well in the sand. I am curious to know how the Ascent did down there. I know the you tube videos show it on the beach but the DEEP sand on Hatteras is a different beast. How did your Ascent do in terms of both traction and clearance? You must be a brave soul to take a brand new vehicle out there in the salt. I hope you rinsed everything down when you got home. When I come back from fishing Hatteras I always wash my truck and then put a lawn sprinkler under underneath and let it run for 30 minutes. Believe me, you will still have salty sand in every crack and crevice 10 years from now when you sell it. Keep us posted on the rust situation. It won't take long to happen.
PS: Don't wash it at a car wash. The high pressure just jams the sand further into the tight spots.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Update second trip last week with 2 kids and wife and rears seats down loaded up with luggage and mileage definitely did drop 21-22 with some construction as well in the mix. Just though I report back!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts