Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I may be a little biased working for Subaru and all, but this car is Amazing. I recently drove a new Highlander and a new Pilot for comparison. I wanted to drive an Atlas but didn't get a chance to. This was a touring model I was able to drive.

The drive is QUIET! We've got some loud roads here and I was expecting about as much road noise as they have on the 3.6 Outback. The Ascent is much better!! The get up and go was pleasantly surprising. Its not an STI but its easily on par with the 3.6 Outback and XT Forester. I took the corners a little aggressively and didn't feel the body roll that I expected. The boaty feel I expected was completely absent. I didn't notice the delay in passing power that Motor Trend talked about. It had adequate power throughout the acceleration curve.

I'm 6'1 and set the front seat where I'd normally drive. Then jumped behind to the second row and set that seat comfortably. Then jumped in the 3rd row and with the back reclined I felt just fine. When it was straight up and down it wasn't very comfortable. Having the pass through in the middle of the second row was very nice for the 3rd row passengers. I took a spin around the block with 6 guys my size and we were all comfortable. AND IT STILL SURPRISED US WITH THE GET UP AND GO! We were expecting the additional 1200 lbs to slow it down a little, but it didn't.

The pass through rear view mirror was trippy at first. My eyes were expecting to adjust to a normal mirror, but the camera was a completely different view than what I was used to, but its a very clear picture and just takes a bit to get used to.

Overall this car was absolutely everything I was hoping it would be and more!

I can't wait for mine! July needs to get here asap!!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Great info.....the rear view mirror camera is one reason I ordered the Touring model.....another comment on the forum indicated they thought the camera was adjusted too high...could only see car roofs that were close behind...did you experience this...hope that the camera can be adjusted...user or dealer..

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great info.....the rear view mirror camera is one reason I ordered the Touring model.....another comment on the forum indicated they thought the camera was adjusted too high...could only see car roofs that were close behind...did you experience this...hope that the camera can be adjusted...user or dealer..
Yes, I did notice that. There was a big f350 about 6 feet behind us, but the bottom of the camera started at the top of the grill in the view area. You CAN adjust the camera but not as much as I would like it too.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The production line is supposed to start this month! I feel like I'm waiting for Christmas and the Subaru elves will be hard at work for all the good girls and boys (those who pre-ordered)!

·
Registered
23 Posts
How are the seats in comparison to the Pilot. Nearly all reviews put the Pilot seat comfort as number one in the segment. Of course that is before the Ascent was announced.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How are the seats in comparison to the Pilot. Nearly all reviews put the Pilot seat comfort as number one in the segment. Of course that is before the Ascent was announced.
I didn't notice a huge difference other than the extendable thigh support for the driver was EXACTLY what I needed in my legacy that I have now. That alone pushed it above the pilot imo.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Yes, I did notice that. There was a big f350 about 6 feet behind us, but the bottom of the camera started at the top of the grill in the view area. You CAN adjust the camera but not as much as I would like it too.
How do you adjust the view of the rearview mirror camera? I'm assuming its part of the settings on the instrument/cluster and NOT the actual part where it's mounted.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Overall this car was absolutely everything I was hoping it would be and more!
Got to drive an OP11 Premium, OP21 Limited, OP23 Limited, and a Touring today.

Holy torque, Batman! :tango_face_surprise

Not to say that I didn't have a few nits with it. Two men, 6'2" in the 3rd row, still possible to get leg room with the 2nd row moved forward, but not enough headroom. So ... don't sit back there, put the kids back there. We also missed having ceiling grab bars in the 3rd row. Sensor for the back end automatic climate control needs a cover over it. They need seat back protectors for the 2nd row seats, not just the 3rd row.

These are all MINOR things that are easily addressed. And they asked us for feedback to give to Subaru.

Major things wrong ... um, none? :grin:

Seriously, I took the closed course a bit faster than they wanted (since these are cars they have to drive elsewhere, and didn't want rubber scrubbed off the tires). And there was NO roll, even in a tight S-curve. Acceleration in this thing, due to the torque range, was fantastic. Road noise was effectively non-existent. 60 mph turning 1,500 RPM just snuck up on me. AND it uses 87 octane, confirmed.

After seeing all this, our biggest problem is going to be selling all the used SUV's from OTHER brands we're going to get traded in ... :devil:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Have you heard anything about getting all the Touring features in an 8 passenger? Even without the brown interior... Maybe next year? Or with this always be a 7 passenger option?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Have you heard anything about getting all the Touring features in an 8 passenger? Even without the brown interior... Maybe next year? Or with this always be a 7 passenger option?
I'm pretty sure there will be some adjustments based on feedback from customers and dealers on how they market next year's model.

I'm hoping for more wheel selection as well as different interior color options....and power folding side mirrors

·
Registered
357 Posts
I'm pretty sure there will be some adjustments based on feedback from customers and dealers on how they market next year's model.

I'm hoping for more wheel selection as well as different interior color options....and power folding side mirrors

I have a reminder set in my phone for every 6 months to send SOA a email asking they add ventilated seats and power folding mirrors as options, I always get a response but maybe being persistent we may get the power mirrors, I feel my input may have helped get ventilated seats probably not but wishful thinking.

I also have done this for quiet a few years ;)

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have a big question since it kind of concerns me about the gauges in the Premium verses the gauges in the Touring and Limited. I heard that they are different, but how different are they. Just afraid that the gauges in the Premium do not look as nice as the gauges that are found in the Touring and Limited. Anything that you can remember would be awesome.

·
Registered
978 Posts
John it might be related to the tow rating and having a different display option thats the only logical reason I can think of a different dash display

·
Administrator
7,800 Posts
John it might be related to the tow rating and having a different display option thats the only logical reason I can think of a different dash display
All three have the same tow options. Only the base does not. It's possibly differences in the chrome accents? I've never seen a Premium or Base. Just Limited and Touring.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Got to drive an OP11 Premium, OP21 Limited, OP23 Limited, and a Touring today.

Holy torque, Batman! :tango_face_surprise

Not to say that I didn't have a few nits with it. Two men, 6'2" in the 3rd row, still possible to get leg room with the 2nd row moved forward, but not enough headroom. So ... don't sit back there, put the kids back there. We also missed having ceiling grab bars in the 3rd row. Sensor for the back end automatic climate control needs a cover over it. They need seat back protectors for the 2nd row seats, not just the 3rd row.

These are all MINOR things that are easily addressed. And they asked us for feedback to give to Subaru.

Major things wrong ... um, none? :grin:

Seriously, I took the closed course a bit faster than they wanted (since these are cars they have to drive elsewhere, and didn't want rubber scrubbed off the tires). And there was NO roll, even in a tight S-curve. Acceleration in this thing, due to the torque range, was fantastic. Road noise was effectively non-existent. 60 mph turning 1,500 RPM just snuck up on me. AND it uses 87 octane, confirmed.

After seeing all this, our biggest problem is going to be selling all the used SUV's from OTHER brands we're going to get traded in ... :devil:
Looking for your insight since it looks like you drove a Premium and also a Limited as well so you would have seen the differences in the gauge clusters 1st hand.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Looking for your insight since it looks like you drove a Premium and also a Limited as well so you would have seen the differences in the gauge clusters 1st hand.
Other than premium have a slightly different (not leather) covered shelf, I'm not sure what you're asking. The gauge cluster for the vehicle info is in the middle display, not the regular cluster right in front of the driver. I played with that a little, but nothing jumped out at me as being odd.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Other than premium have a slightly different (not leather) covered shelf, I'm not sure what you're asking. The gauge cluster for the vehicle info is in the middle display, not the regular cluster right in front of the driver. I played with that a little, but nothing jumped out at me as being odd.
Not sure yet about the Ascent, but with the 2018 Crosstrek there is a difference in what can be shown in the Info screen between the Premium and Limited trims. The Limited has additional pages including a user customization one where you can select the parameters you want to be displayed. Eg, you can select water temp, oil temp and % throttle, which can be useful when towing or driving up a long uphill in hot weather. The manual should explain these pretty well, although not sure if that is available yet for the Ascent.

What is important to know too, is that these capabilities are not outlined in the trim/package specs, and a lot of Premium Crosstrek buyers were disappointed that they did not have the same info displays as the Limited. So a peek at the manual could be very enlightening to further understand the difference between the various model trims.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Carl,
In your test drive review, you mention something about needing a cover for the climate control sensor....can you explain/elaborate?

·
Registered
967 Posts
Carl,
In your test drive review, you mention something about needing a cover for the climate control sensor....can you explain/elaborate?
The test car drivers (who are all former race car drivers, actually) mentioned that to us. You know how the front automatic climate control sensor is built into the dash and only 3 little notches in the dash? The rear sensor - and again, these are pre-production models, so they may have a cover for them now - had a recess in the body on the left 2nd row with the opening to the sensor visible. Basically a perfect spot for a kid to pour something in.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I am sorry I did not clarify, what I meant was the actual speedometer and the tachometer gauges themselves I hear are different in the Premium vs the Limited and Touring. For example if you build a Premium on the build page for the Ascent on the Subaru website if you look at the shot of the dash you will see the needles for those 2 gauges are red instead of the ice blue like in the Limited and Touring. Just wanted to know if you noticed that or not. Only reason why is the gauges look REALLY nice in the Limited and Touring but I have a Premium on order. People may not think about to much but when you are behind the wheel you look at the gauges quite a bit.:tango_face_wink:

1 - 20 of 111 Posts