Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been loving my Ascent. I have my minor issues with it, but overall it's been great. Well, until yesterday. Yesterday I picked up two employees and began a 3.5 hour drive for a meeting, with a same-day return trip. Along the drive the car is comfortable and all seems well when there's a light clattering sound and I see that a screw has fallen out of the shroud/overhang part above the instruments and landed on the shelf in front of the instruments. That's odd. We stop for gas and my android auto will not reconnect after the stop. I never touched the cord or moved the phone, just turned off the vehicle, filled it with gas, and turned back on the vehicle. No luck. I tried restarting phone, car, plugging and unplugging the cable, no dice. ARG! Well, I need GPS, so I set my phone in my charging cradle (a vent-clip one) and get going. Then the cradle falls off the vent. It has never done this before and the phone LIVES in this cradle when I'm in the car, so this is annoying. I catch it awkwardly and at 70mpg on the highway I carefully get it untangled from my leg and safely out of the way. WOW! Now I just use the built-in GPS. I don't like that system, it's not great, but at this point it is either that or hold my phone in my hand and do it. So we're now maybe 2.5 hours in and it seems fine. Then the built-in screen freezes, flashes, then goes dark and resets with the Starlink logo, almost as if I reset the car. When it comes back I get the GPS started again and then I notice the speed limit on my dash display, not the center display, is saying 104 is the speed limit (the little white speed limit sign icon that it shows). Later it changes to another random number and I realize that it is converting the mph to kmph. But the speed of my vehicle, displayed one inch from there, is showing in mph. The GPS is reporting in Miles... ugh. Shortly there after, the GPS says updating and freezes. So I turn it off and back on and reset the destination and we finally get there.
For the trip home I used signs and knew the area well enough to get us to the interstates, which I know really well so I didn't need GPS for the trip home. I have since put the screw back in and I went and reset my distances to miles but I forgot to check it when I drove the kids to a movie today, will look tomorrow.

Anyway... just what unholy possession overtook my Ascent I could not say. I hope that it is well and truly passed.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have this issue with AA quite often. The only way I have found to reconnect it is to do a head unit reset (hold power button 10+ seconds until the starlink screen comes up).

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Nathan,

I never had your issues and frankly I can’t help but I must say that I like your style and humor. Thanks.

PS I hope the demon’s are gone and your Ascent is well.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Yikes, I hope things improve with your car. I can see my wife 2nd guessing hers if that ends up happening :-(

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RobertD, thanks! The Ascent is the first new car purchase in 14 years for us, so I figure there's been a great leap in tech stuff and maybe all the bugs aren't worked out. I am still using an rf transmitter to get audio through the speakers in my other car (the 14 year old minivan), so just having bluetooth built in to the Suby is a big upgrade.

Woodcan, the good thing is that none of those issues caused the car not to run or to be dangerous (other than my phone mount issue, which was the mount, not the car, just a random silly annoyance in the middle of a chaotic day).

·
Registered
425 Posts
Maybe the battery's going south? Can't imagine something causing all that at once, except maybe low voltage. But along the drive... alternator should be covering for a weak battery, unless it's really kaput.

Anyway, dealership replaced my battery (with another OEM, ugh) at the 12K service. It's easy to check the voltage after an overnight sit, in accessories mode with the engine off (no alternator running), hold the Home button on the center console while double clicking the knob just to the right and a little down. This brings up a diagnostic menu, and select the 2nd tab to see battery voltage. I get nervous if a single overnight sit results in anything significantly under 12.0v. Probably not your issue, but may be worth eliminating.

F.S.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts