Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was sitting in the parking lot with the battery on for about 10 minutes. All of a sudden my 2019 Ascent makes weird noises and then the panel lights up like a Christmas tree (eyesight, and all other lights are on). Engine won’t start, but get quick clicks. Call the dealer and they say I need to jump the battery. Find someone to help and get it going, but lights are still there. Start driving and the rear hatch pops open - cannot close it as the latch doesnt work. So I decide to take it to a dealer. They say they are booked so I leave it thinking it is a safety issue.

they call this morning and say all is good. I get there and they told me they had to replace the battery ($370 for parts and labor). When I ask what caused all the lights was told it happens when you jump the battery and I need to bring it in to a dealer to reset everything. I asked about the latch and they said this is tied with having to be rest too.

Does this sound right? Would hate to be somewhere away from a dealership to have to get the system reset after having a dead battery and getting jumped.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
I was sitting in the parking lot with the battery on for about 10 minutes. All of a sudden my 2019 Ascent makes weird noises and then the panel lights up like a Christmas tree (eyesight, and all other lights are on). Engine won’t start, but get quick clicks. Call the dealer and they say I need to jump the battery. Find someone to help and get it going, but lights are still there. Start driving and the rear hatch pops open - cannot close it as the latch doesnt work. So I decide to take it to a dealer. They say they are booked so I leave it thinking it is a safety issue.

they call this morning and say all is good. I get there and they told me they had to replace the battery ($370 for parts and labor). When I ask what caused all the lights was told it happens when you jump the battery and I need to bring it in to a dealer to reset everything. I asked about the latch and they said this is tied with having to be rest too.

Does this sound right? Would hate to be somewhere away from a dealership to have to get the system reset after having a dead battery and getting jumped.
never heard of such a thing, sounds crazy. how many miles on your 2019? Have you had the hatch module replaced yet? I would call SOA and have a chat. Based on what you have written, you should not have to pay for this repair at all. Ask SOA for reimbursement and an explanation. I would also make certain your hatch module is updated.

Another question: when the lights all came on, did you happen to look under the vehicle for presents?;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
never heard of such a thing, sounds crazy. how many miles on your 2019? Have you had the hatch module replaced yet? I would call SOA and have a chat. Based on what you have written, you should not have to pay for this repair at all. Ask SOA for reimbursement and an explanation. I would also make certain your hatch module is updated.

Another question: when the lights all came on, did you happen to look under the vehicle for presents?;)
Only present was the unexpected bill from the dealer.

I hav abou 47k miles. The service manager said it was about time to replace the battery anyways. I know batteries die earlier in the desert, but not in Florida…

·
Registered
997 Posts
That's a pretty good life for the original battery. The only thing is that was a good opportunity to get a superior battery instead of another OEM. But if the first one worked well for 47k, it might not be a big deal. If your usage isn't expected to change in the next 40k miles, maybe wait 24-30 months or so and replace it again preemtively unless you move on to another car before then.

Oh, and consider a little battery jumper. They're just handy to have around...
jumper

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Only present was the unexpected bill from the dealer.

I hav abou 47k miles. The service manager said it was about time to replace the battery anyways. I know batteries die earlier in the desert, but not in Florida…
the battery may in fact have been near its end life but as you may have read in this forum many posts regarding the hatch (PRG) module tsb. This is in fact a case if you have not yet it replaced SOA ought to have it done through the dealership. They know that module was a problem.
PRODUCTION CHANGE INFORMATION: The new PRG control modules were incorporated into production as follows: • Forester: Starting with VIN LH477261 • Ascent: Start of 2020MY production.

ECU- POWER REAR GATE
63350SJ006 2019-20MY Forester
63350XC10B 2019MY Ascent

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. I hadn’t heard about the hatch module. I will look in to that.

How about having to have the dealer reset the system after a jump? Does that seem right?

·
Registered
745 Posts
I've been wondering if the PRG modules all came from the same batches for '19 & part of '20 productions if one optioned it on the Premium model compared to the Limited or Touring that come standard with it.

To the OP,sorry about the battery issue.I feel that you should've gotten more life out of the OEM battery...just my opinion.
Make sure your window switches are functioning properly,after a dead battery they will need to be reprogrammed.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
948 Posts
I know batteries die earlier in the desert, but not in Florida…
Not true at all. Florida heat kills the same as desert heat. I replace my batteries every 5 years whether they are causing a problem or not. The OEM batteries are usually gone by year 2 or 3.

But, you might have a case for reimbursement from SOA if your hatch module was never replaced and the dealer didn't check it.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Thanks. I hadn’t heard about the hatch module. I will look in to that.

How about having to have the dealer reset the system after a jump? Does that seem right?
if a vehicle is functioning properly and by chance needs a minimal jump it should not need a reset.

Exception: If the battery is sufficiently dead, then certain error codes might appear which might require a computer reset or clearing of codes through a number of cycles. A reset (computer flashed) may be necessary after a new battery is installed if done without protecting the memory settings prior to disconnecting.

If the battery was highly drained and then had a jump it may have had some residual power in the capacitors that, well created a bit of havoc for the computer.

This is one option to going to the dealer for a reset. sorry for the arm waving. It is like any computer (in this case also trying to move us around the earth), they can be finicky.

And of course there is this.:)

·
Registered
14 Posts
My battery died after my kid left a reading light on overnight. Same as you are describing with every light on the dash going crazy and clicking noises. (Insane that that i still possible in 2021, but whatever.) Subaru sent AAA which took 3 hours. They jump started it. I drove it for a half hour with all of those lights still on, RAB disabled, etc. as the AAA guy told me I had to or it would die again. Seemed to resolve things but when I took it in for the next oil change I mentioned this and had them check the battery. They said it was fine. I asked twice more to run diagnostics on it based on feedback from this forum on bad OEM batteries and such. Second test it passed. They then did some other test that it failed, and they gave me a fresh one under warranty. So, might be worth following up on the $$ you had to pay for a battery on such a new vehicle.

·
Registered
122 Posts
We have a 2019. Last year we left an interior light on for a week at the airport and killed everything. Got a jump, drove home, charged the battery. No dealer trip. We did have it checked at Autozone and the battery was fine. We're still fine a year later with the same battery at 54k-ish miles.

Also, we lived in Florida for 5 years. We drove our cars down from Michigan and the batteries died in a year...we learned they have batteries built for heat, and batteries built for cold, that are sold in the different regions of the country. The heat killed our "cold" batteries.

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Touring
6 Posts
I bought a new 2021 Touring model last December. The original battery had to be replaced before I took delivery of the vehicle. The salesman was checking to be sure that the car was ready for delivery, he opened the hatch and it failed at that point. It was replaced with an OEM battery. I will replace that one as soon as it gives me the slightest issue. I have absolutly no faith in it going more that 18-20 months. Arizona summer might kill it sooner.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sitting in my garage 2 weeks ago in acc mode updating maps, I had an issue where eyesight shut off and the vehicle died. still had lights and whatnot but the overhead lights were dim so I shut the doors, turned off the radio, ac and automatic lights. Took 2 button pushes but the vehicle came back to life. let it sit outside for a while idling and haven't had a problem since. It'd be nice if Subaru would do something like add a battery gauge when in any mode that doesn't have the engine running...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts