Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of days ago I got hit by a little pebble in the highway today it turn into a crack... These windshields are not good. I will call the Insurance today, I have a Touring so it might be a while until I get a replacement. This is very annoying.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Windshiled is very cheap quality, I had it replaced cus it created speckles which was blinding me .. Hope subaru will fix this windshield with better quality.

·
Administrator
10,955 Posts
It's just Carlex glass...

Windshiled is very cheap quality, I had it replaced cus it created speckles which was blinding me .. Hope subaru will fix this windshield with better quality.
It's a Carlex windshield (Subaru doesn't make it).

Perhaps there's just a bad batch.

Carlex makes windshields for tons of brands, regular and luxury, including Audi, Bentley, BMW, Daimler, Fiat, Chrysler, Ford, GM, Honda, Jaguar, Jeep, Kia, Lamborghini, Lincoln, Nissan, Porsche, Skoda, Subaru, Toyota, and VW (and other companies you all may not have heard from).

·
Registered
216 Posts
man I took a shot to the windshield from a rock that bounced out of a recycling truck over Easter weekend. It hit the lower portion of the windshield and left a few scuff marks but I’m just waiting for a crack to start. Although it doesn’t look that bad, but wow it hit hard and gave the kids a scare. I couldnt avoid it but saw it fly off.

·
Administrator
10,955 Posts
man I took a shot to the windshield from a rock that bounced out of a recycling truck over Easter weekend. It hit the lower portion of the windshield and left a few scuff marks but I’m just waiting for a crack to start. Although it doesn’t look that bad, but wow it hit hard and gave the kids a scare. I couldnt avoid it but saw it fly off.
Get it filled now, save yourself the hassle.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can it be repaired?
Unfortunately is a pretty big crack goes from the corner of the passenger side to almost the middle of the windshield it grew yesterday. I will take a photo when I leave today from work.

I'm in Florida so the Insurance will cover all of it, they are suppose to call me today to approve going to a dealership to get it fix and calibrate. I have a 3 hour road trip for next Wednesday I'm trying to get it fixed before then.

When I heard the rock hit, I immediately remember all the posts on this forum and in the Facebook group of damaged windshields. So I'm guessing this is going to happen again in the 34 months I have left on my lease.

·
Registered
2019 Limited
32 Posts
I just had my windshield replaced Monday after waiting 3 weeks for it to come in. The new one says Subaru on the top line (just like the old if I remember correctly), under that it says AGC Automotive, followed by some numbers, and finally Lamisafe on the bottom line. Hoping it's tougher than the previous one as I drive a stretch of interstate with lots of trash trucks and gravel trucks entering and exiting.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I mean isn't a windshield getting hit with a rock and cracking more of a luck of the draw thing rather than a question of quality? At the end of the day it is laminated tempered glass. The velocity, trajectory, size, density, and surface of the object hitting the windshield are all going to be a factor. Plus factor in random chance and people are going to have glass crack when hit with a rock. Just because it has never happened to you before in other cars isn't a question of quality but of chance.

On a forum you are going to see a higher than average failure because that is were people typically go when things go wrong add in that you need eyesight calibrated and the OEM glass is a bit scarce since it is a year one car.

I was going 90 and had a rock come straight in between my eyes. It scarred the crap out of me, but the glass took it just fine without a crack. Cleaning my windshield yesterday I found a small chip on the passenger side but it is tiny and doesn't appear to be expanding. I've owned 4 cars and have replaced glass on two of them in my time of ownership. In the last 10 cars I've rented, I have cracked the glass on 2 of them.

At the end of the day it is just the luck of the draw. I am sure the angle of the glass plays a part.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had my windshield replaced last year on my previous lease (BMW) and a cracked fog light granted I was living in the Detroit area streets are really in bad shape plus winter. But with that you can imagine how many rocks and stuff I got hit in my windshield and only one cracked and it was a tiny it got fixed during winter but first day of above 50 weather and a big crack showed up in the area they fixed.

Anyways first rock with the Subaru huge crack and need a new windshield.. Glad I'm not in Michigan, FL has no deductible. Granted it was bad luck, but I was part of the forum for my previous lease and barely saw people with windshield cracked in three years.

With time will see if is just bad luck or there's something going on with the windshields although after that class action lawsuit for the 2015 - 2016 outbacks and legacy windshields. I believe Subaru paid more attention to their glass supplier quality.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I had my windshield replaced last year on my previous lease (BMW) and a cracked fog light granted I was living in the Detroit area streets are really in bad shape plus winter. But with that you can imagine how many rocks and stuff I got hit in my windshield and only one cracked and it was a tiny it got fixed during winter but first day of above 50 weather and a big crack showed up in the area they fixed.

Anyways first rock with the Subaru huge crack and need a new windshield.. Glad I'm not in Michigan, FL has no deductible. Granted it was bad luck, but I was part of the forum for my previous lease and barely saw people with windshield cracked in three years.

With time will see if is just bad luck or there's something going on with the windshields although after that class action lawsuit for the 2015 - 2016 outbacks and legacy windshields. I believe Subaru paid more attention to their glass supplier quality.
My guess is that this is a new windshield so it has limited supply which poses an issue for people. Add in that the cost of getting replaced is increased with getting eyesight re-calibrated and the question of "is my insurance going to cover calibration?"

Or it is a terrible windshield but I think there need to be way more samples.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Just wanted to chime in:

Check with your insurance company. Some seem to have a separate claim for glass work, or an additional endorsement for decreased cost for glass work.

My company will cover all repair work that doesn't involve replacing the glass, so any type of liquid resin fill is covered 100%, otherwise I'd have to pay my comprehensive deductible. I have family that have a separate glass endorsement for around $50-100 per year, but it ends up making the glass work a separate thing with around a $100 deductible - which is a lot better considering it's not just the glass replacement, it's also the EyeSight calibration that's included.

·
Registered
28 Posts
This notion that the windshield is cheap, thin, junky, poor quality etc etc is ridiculous. All windshields need to meet certain government standards for on-road use. That being said there is no government standards for height, angle or aerodynamics for windshields. There are definitely poor designs out on the road as far as body and windshield aerodynamics and the Ascent appears to be one of them. A previous vehicle we owned that the windshield also received every rock in its path was the Scion Xb. Some vehicles windshields are rock magnets suffering multiple cracked and chipped windshields.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Get it filled now, save yourself the hassle.
This is good advice. I had someone coming to do mine once (on a different vehicle) and the morning they came it spread into a large crack that could not be repaired. I was kicking myself since it had been just a chip for over a week. DO IT RIGHT AWAY!

·
Registered
680 Posts
This notion that the windshield is cheap, thin, junky, poor quality etc etc is ridiculous. All windshields need to meet certain government standards for on-road use. That being said there is no government standards for height, angle or aerodynamics for windshields. There are definitely poor designs out on the road as far as body and windshield aerodynamics and the Ascent appears to be one of them. A previous vehicle we owned that the windshield also received every rock in its path was the Scion Xb. Some vehicles windshields are rock magnets suffering multiple cracked and chipped windshields.
do they have regulation on how thin front layer must be, to be with in government standards for on-road use?

all i can recall , it must be Laminated and holds together when shattered..

·
Registered
418 Posts
I mean isn't a windshield getting hit with a rock and cracking more of a luck of the draw thing rather than a question of quality? At the end of the day it is laminated tempered glass. The velocity, trajectory, size, density, and surface of the object hitting the windshield are all going to be a factor. Plus factor in random chance and people are going to have glass crack when hit with a rock. Just because it has never happened to you before in other cars isn't a question of quality but of chance.

On a forum you are going to see a higher than average failure because that is were people typically go when things go wrong add in that you need eyesight calibrated and the OEM glass is a bit scarce since it is a year one car.

I was going 90 and had a rock come straight in between my eyes. It scarred the crap out of me, but the glass took it just fine without a crack. Cleaning my windshield yesterday I found a small chip on the passenger side but it is tiny and doesn't appear to be expanding. I've owned 4 cars and have replaced glass on two of them in my time of ownership. In the last 10 cars I've rented, I have cracked the glass on 2 of them.

At the end of the day it is just the luck of the draw. I am sure the angle of the glass plays a part.

According to the Safelite guy I talked to when I had to have my Crosstrek's windshield replaced due to a crack, it's mostly the angle of the glass when it comes to whether or not a rock/pebble/assorted detritus will crack a windshield or not. He says they see more Jeep Wranglers due to cracks than any other types of vehicles by a wide margin. Now whether you're going to get hit by that detritus in the first place or not, that's luck of the draw for sure. I know I keep seeing/hearing this "bad" or "soft" glass stuff all the time, but Safelite guy did not agree with that, and since it's what he does all day, 5 days a week, I think I'll choose to believe the professional until I receive further compelling information to the contrary.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update: Yesterday they finally change my windshield, first time with Costco Auto Insurance and the experience has been bad. Not going to renew with them. I had to pay out of pocket because I needed an OEM glass and they have an approval process for it and they will reimburse me but no guarantees... it could be less than what I paid.

Subaru Dealership also bad, they told me I didn't need to re-calibrate the cameras.. The glass shop had the Subaru software so they verified that cameras were calibrated.

Glass Shop didn't properly connect the rain sensor and was not activating. They fixed it after calling and meeting the glass tech guy on the location were he was fixing another car. But when my first oil change is due I'm going to have the dealership look at it because I still feel is not working 100% as it was before the windshield was replaced.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Saw a small crack in the windshield on the passenger side yesterday while washing the pollen off the windshield. No idea when it happened. I have been the only driver and do not recollect a projectile coming my way nor do I drive close to other vehicles.. but s**i happens.

The kicker is, just came back from my Subaru dealer - Piazza Subaru in Pottstown, PA. The service department there has no clue how to handle it. All they said was call your insurance and get it fixed through them. They will get someone to come and fix it.

When I ask, "Shouldn't the replacement windshield be an OEM as well because of the Eyesight technology?", they got thinking and got another gent from inside who also scratched his head and said "yeah, that seems right but the Ascent has been around for a year so most of the windshield service folks may have it in stock. We do not carry them and we do not install them".

Now, I did not expect such a response from the Subaru dealer's service department!

Off course, I am going to talk to my insurance but I also need to figure out how or which is the best way to get this repair done right.

Who will calibrate the Eye Sight system after the windshield replacement etc and how do I know if the replacement windshield will be up to the OEM standard (if not better) and not cause any issues with the EyeSight electronics and rear view mirror etc..

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,428 Posts
You might want to throw some touch up paint on that spot too before it rusts more, as well.
Safelite said they'd repair anything less than 6". They didnt say anything about whether its on the edge or not so you'd have to check with them. If its repairable then it doesnt look like its in a spot that would require eyesight recalibration.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had to have a windshield replaced on my previous car, a Kia Sorento. I live in NY and have Geico insurance with full glass coverage, no deductible. I did my research on line and found a glass shop that received good reviews for replacing windshields. Geico approved this shop and paid for an OEM windshield. After it was replaced I went to Kia to have the camera recalibrated which Geico also paid for. I suggest getting OEM glass if you can as there are differences with third party glass verses OEM. Sorry for the long post and this is not a Geico advertisement. lol

1 - 20 of 25 Posts