Subaru Ascent Forum banner

Joining the 'club' - 2020 Ascent Premium

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  beastcivic 
#1 ·
Hey everyone,

I'm excited to say my wife and I will be getting a 2020 Ascent by the end of the week. Our family of 4 is a little tight in the Outback when it comes to long trips, plus we have her parents that sometimes would ride with us in the car (before our recently born baby).

In 2015 we originally traded in her 2011 Forester for a redesigned 2016 Pilot, which we swapped out for an Odyssey (not my choice...but my wife wanted the sliding doors) and that lasted about 10 months before she was sick of it (too big, too noisy, too bland, etc). So we landed back with Subaru and got the 2017 Outback.
I was tracking the rumors of an 7/8 seat vehicle back before it had a name, and finally checked out the Ascent when it hit our dealer's lot first came out, but didn't test drive it. Finally did a test drive a couple weeks ago and thought maybe we could get a sweet deal on a left over 2019, since the 2020's were out. I got an online quote from Truecar on a 2019 Premium with option 12, plus a few accessories, and went to our local dealership to see if they'd match it. They happily agreed, but they didn't have a 7 seater in the trim we wanted. So they said they'll get us a 2020 for the same price! We couldn't turn that down. Ended up with a sweet deal (just over 11% off of MSRP), so we had them find one and do a swap. Should arrive at the dealership today and we'll close the deal later this week.

I kind of wish we'd keep the Outback, but we're selling it to my in-laws, to replace their 2012 Impreza. It has gotten a bit small with my two kids in it (they watch them during the day for us) and my father-in-law's wheel chair in the trunk. Overall it's a good situation for everyone involved. Only bad thing is this delays my purchase of the Outback XT Touring I was eyeing up.

Anyone with a Premium Ascent have any pointers on "must have" accessories, or ones to skip? It has a few already installed, but I'm adding the cargo cover, cargo tray, and because we have kids, the 2nd row sun shades. It has the back seat protector already (love it in our Outback), unfortunately it has the LED interior light package, I'd rather have the softer white of the incandescent.

-Jim

See less See more
#2 ·
You'll be able to remove those LEDs and replace them with warm white LEDs. Unfortunately, nobody will buy yours second hand for even close to what Subaru charges for them. But at least you can outfit the entire interior with warm white LEDs for very little money. Personally, I use warm white LEDs for all interior (except cargo area) and use white 5000K LEDs for the cargo area and door "puddle" lights. See Diode Dynamics, VLEDs, The Retrofit Source, or even Amazon for all your LED needs. I'd stay away from Pep Boys, Wal Mart, etc. The choices available online seem to be better and less expensive.

For OEM accessories, I'd recommend the rear bumper protector and trailer hitch (if you need one). Some subtle appearance things I have are the front underguard, sill plates, and splash guards. They're not essential but I think they look good.

#5 ·
You'll be able to remove those LEDs and replace them with warm white LEDs. Unfortunately, nobody will buy yours second hand for even close to what Subaru charges for them. But at least you can outfit the entire interior with warm white LEDs for very little money. Personally, I use warm white LEDs for all interior (except cargo area) and use white 5000K LEDs for the cargo area and door "puddle" lights. See Diode Dynamics, VLEDs, The Retrofit Source, or even Amazon for all your LED needs. I'd stay away from Pep Boys, Wal Mart, etc. The choices available online seem to be better and less expensive.

For OEM accessories, I'd recommend the rear bumper protector and trailer hitch (if you need one). Some subtle appearance things I have are the front underguard, sill plates, and splash guards. They're not essential but I think they look good.
I don't know why I didn't think about replacing them with a warmer color LED. I forgot LEDs come in multiple color tones. Thanks!

And I forgot to mention it comes with the splash guards, I'll consider the others though, thanks!

#3 ·
Hey everyone,

I'm excited to say my wife and I will be getting a 2020 Ascent by the end of the week. Our family of 4 is a little tight in the Outback when it comes to long trips, plus we have her parents that sometimes would ride with us in the car (before our recently born baby).

In 2015 we originally traded in her 2011 Forester for a redesigned 2016 Pilot, which we swapped out for an Odyssey (not my choice...but my wife wanted the sliding doors) and that lasted about 10 months before she was sick of it (too big, too noisy, too bland, etc). So we landed back with Subaru and got the 2017 Outback.
I was tracking the rumors of an 7/8 seat vehicle back before it had a name, and finally checked out the Ascent when it hit our dealer's lot first came out, but didn't test drive it. Finally did a test drive a couple weeks ago and thought maybe we could get a sweet deal on a left over 2019, since the 2020's were out. I got an online quote from Truecar on a 2019 Premium with option 12, plus a few accessories, and went to our local dealership to see if they'd match it. They happily agreed, but they didn't have a 7 seater in the trim we wanted. So they said they'll get us a 2020 for the same price! We couldn't turn that down. Ended up with a sweet deal (just over 11% off of MSRP), so we had them find one and do a swap. Should arrive at the dealership today and we'll close the deal later this week.

I kind of wish we'd keep the Outback, but we're selling it to my in-laws, to replace their 2012 Impreza. It has gotten a bit small with my two kids in it (they watch them during the day for us) and my father-in-law's wheel chair in the trunk. Overall it's a good situation for everyone involved. Only bad thing is this delays my purchase of the Outback XT Touring I was eyeing up.

Anyone with a Premium Ascent have any pointers on "must have" accessories, or ones to skip? It has a few already installed, but I'm adding the cargo cover, cargo tray, and because we have kids, the 2nd row sun shades. It has the back seat protector already (love it in our Outback), unfortunately it has the LED interior light package, I'd rather have the softer white of the incandescent.

-Jim
Passenger front seat is lackluster - design your own style. Then see if you receive all of your wants - before you buy. The both sit drivers and front passenger seats.
Overall a comfortable ride.

#6 ·
Passenger front seat is lackluster - design your own style. Then see if you receive all of your wants - before you buy. The both sit drivers and front passenger seats.
Overall a comfortable ride.
I didn't mind the passenger seat during the couple test drives we've done. But I'll make sure it fits us both well before signing up for anything. It's going to be my wife's daily, and I primarily drive if we're on road trips, so hopefully she likes the passenger seat. :)

Thanks for the heads up though.

#7 ·
We have the Premium, and it comes standard with everything we wanted. The dealer threw in: all weather floor mats, rear cargo mat, cargo net, rear bumper protector, cargo cover, AND the fancy auto dimming compass mirror with garage door opener, all at no charge. And we have the carpeted mats, still wrapped up.

Of all that, the rubber mats are great. The cargo cover went in it's little storage cube and hasn't come out again -- can't use it with the 3rd row up. The mirror is a neat but largely useless toy...we haven't programmed it with our garage door yet.

Oh, and right before we signed, I asked our sales last it she could fill the back seat with Subaru swag, and we scored a nice water bottle, tote bag, dog bandanas and a keychain.

#8 ·
Nice! Oh the homelink mirror will definitely get used, my wife and I both park in the garage, plus use it to open my in-law's garage sometimes when it's raining and we go visit.

And I think our 3rd row will likely stay folded down, so the cover will come in handy. The cover and the cargo mat are the two things I don't believe are in the car yet...but my wife will be looking at the car later today to confirm.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.