Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
That's a good review. Somebody actually put some effort into the analysis, particularly the mechanical performance side.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Interesting bit about the rear occupant safety. Always wondered why there isn’t more testing on rear end collisions.

Would love to find more info on Subaru’s testing. That might be enough to sway me over to Subaru.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Review mentions that the base trim does not even have tinted windows. Then which trim does have tinted windows?

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Ascent Touring CWP
170 Posts
Review mentions that the base trim does not even have tinted windows. Then which trim does have tinted windows?
I know the premium, limited and touring trims have tinted windows. The base model is not personally on my radar, nor have I seen any photos of one.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Interesting bit about the rear occupant safety. Always wondered why there isn’t more testing on rear end collisions.

Would love to find more info on Subaru’s testing. That might be enough to sway me over to Subaru.
Definitely. I worry when I see some of the other 3-row SUVs (particularly if there are kids in there), in many of them the 3rd row is almost up against the rear glass. I wonder if there’s any kind of rear-end collision comparison. If not then maybe Subaru could do some sort of test with the competition.

·
Registered
965 Posts
What kind of tint do they use? I was planning on tinting the car with motoshield ceramic tint or something in the higher quality to block out heat.
No tint.

The glass is called privacy glass and comes from the glass manufacturer that way. (That's how we can use razor blades to clean the window stickers off without destroying a tint film.)

·
Registered
292 Posts
What kind of tint do they use? I was planning on tinting the car with motoshield ceramic tint or something in the higher quality to block out heat.
No tint.

The glass is called privacy glass and comes from the glass manufacturer that way. (That's how we can use razor blades to clean the window stickers off without destroying a tint film.)
What’s privacy glass? I’ve never gotten a car with that (I don’t think). Are they basically tints? How well do they block out heat and uv? Thanks!

·
Registered
119 Posts
What’s privacy glass? I’ve never gotten a car with that (I don’t think). Are they basically tints? How well do they block out heat and uv? Thanks!

Factory tint, commonly referred to as "Privacy Glass" is an electrical process called "deep dipping" that involves dying the inside of automotive glass with a dark pigment.

Found this on a Forester forum so it specifically is about the 2017 Foresters, but some or possibly all of it might apply to the Ascent as well.

UV penetration levels are listed below. These levels are what penetrates the glass.

Front windshield - 0% for both UVA and UVB (all models)
Front partition glass - 10% UVA and 1% UVB (all models)
Front door glass - 10% UVA and 1% UVB (all models)
Moonroof - 0% UVA & 1% UVB (all models) (moonroof standard, expect on base 2.5i models)

Rear door glass with dark tint - 10% UVA & 1% UVB (all models but base)

Rear quarter glass with dark tint - 10% UVA & 1% UVB (all models but base)

Rear glass with dark tint - 10% UVA & 1% UVB (all models but base)

Visible Ray Light Transmittance Values are listed below:

Front windshield - 75% (all models)
Front partition glass - 80% (all models)
Front door glass - 80% (all models)
Moonroof - 80% (all models) (moonroof standard, except on base 2.5i models)

Rear door glass with dark tint - 80% (all models but base)

Rear quarter glass with dark tint - 80% (all models but base)

Rear glass with dark tint - 17% (all models but base)

·
Registered
70 Posts
No tint.

Razor blades? Why not just use acetone, razors can scratch glass, especially curved glass. But I only take 3 window stickers off per year, so...

·
Registered
965 Posts
Razor blades? Why not just use acetone, razors can scratch glass, especially curved glass. But I only take 3 window stickers off per year, so...
The Monroney window sticker is allowed to be removed by us (the salesmen) only when the car is sold. There are actually Federal laws regarding this. But anyway, I do on average about 15 per month - and sometimes 2 or 3 in a single day. Spray glass cleaner (that's not flammable, like acetone is) that also doesn't leave a smell behind (like acetone does).

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Factory tint, commonly referred to as "Privacy Glass" is an electrical process called "deep dipping" that involves dying the inside of automotive glass with a dark pigment.

Found this on a Forester forum so it specifically is about the 2017 Foresters, but some or possibly all of it might apply to the Ascent as well.

UV penetration levels are listed below. These levels are what penetrates the glass.

Front windshield - 0% for both UVA and UVB (all models)
Front partition glass - 10% UVA and 1% UVB (all models)
Front door glass - 10% UVA and 1% UVB (all models)
Moonroof - 0% UVA & 1% UVB (all models) (moonroof standard, expect on base 2.5i models)

Rear door glass with dark tint - 10% UVA & 1% UVB (all models but base)

Rear quarter glass with dark tint - 10% UVA & 1% UVB (all models but base)

Rear glass with dark tint - 10% UVA & 1% UVB (all models but base)

Visible Ray Light Transmittance Values are listed below:

Front windshield - 75% (all models)
Front partition glass - 80% (all models)
Front door glass - 80% (all models)
Moonroof - 80% (all models) (moonroof standard, except on base 2.5i models)

Rear door glass with dark tint - 80% (all models but base)

Rear quarter glass with dark tint - 80% (all models but base)

Rear glass with dark tint - 17% (all models but base)
Real world question: is it necessary to apply aftermarket tint to the side rear windows to get the most protection from UVA?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Real world question: is it necessary to apply aftermarket tint to the side rear windows to get the most protection from UVA?
Well, "the most protection" would be to glue aluminum foil on the inside of every window. So you need to decide if blocking 90% of the ultraviolet is enough. If not, than what is an acceptable level of UV transmissance is; 5%?, 2%?, 1%?.

I get in to these sorts of discussions with clients all the time. They will use open-ended statements that end up being "as little as possible" but with no basis on why it matters to them or what difference it is going to make.

You could end up putting down 90% limo tint but still be chasing the difference from 95 to 98 or 98 to 99 or 99 to 99.9.

·
Registered
119 Posts
The factory privacy glass doesn't need any additional film (tint), but I'd definitely recommend adding tint to the front driver's side & passenger windows. The legal specifications vary by state so it's up to you whether you decide to match the factory privacy glass or stick with a lighter (but still very effective against exposure) tint with the front windows.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts