Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I've been lurking to learn more about new owner experiences with their Ascents. My brother is on his 3rd Subaru. I helped my parents choose a new car last year, it was Forester with all the driver assist tech, hands down. I've driven it a couple thousand miles, and I love Eyesight.

History- I was a Cherokee (3 of them) guy and lived on a dirt road. I also used 4 wheel drive off-road on a weekly basis for work. Eventually I married and moved to the suburbs, and my wife hated my "truck." So, we replaced it with a 2006 Pacifica Touring crossover. We still needed all-weather, but not off-road capabilities. We love it, and I stopped paying attention to other cars when they discontinued them.

But all good things eventually come to an end, and I am researching a replacement. Experience has taught us never to buy a new model in the first year. We want at least as much horsepower and cargo space as the Pacifica, most of the features, and as much driver assist tech as we can get. A second row bench is a requirement, because it's not about how many people ( and dogs ) we can haul, but people (and dogs) and their luggage or stuff. This seems to disqualify GM. Features only come with captain's chairs. Fords are short on cubic feet. So, the frontrunning candidates are the Ascent, the Atlas, and the Highlander. When the time comes, we will test drive them, see what my wife does or doesn't like, and go from there.

·
Registered
685 Posts
History- I was a Cherokee (3 of them) guy and lived on a dirt road. I also used 4 wheel drive off-road on a weekly basis for work.
The standard XJ, or the Grand Cherokee? The XJ has been my best vehicle to date. I bought new in 2000, srove it to 224K miles. Always ridden very hard an put away wet.

Here is a small example.

BTW B*tch Kitty started out as my wife's "truck" for the 1st 9 years.

·
Registered
646 Posts
We had an 06 Subaru Tribeca (first year) which we traded for a first year Ascent. I'm not worried about a first year model from Subaru as they will go above and beyond to take care of customers. Does that mean each car doesn't have some issues or quirks? No, but no car is perfect. Until they can build a car that's a fast as a z06, handles like a lotus, tows like a diesel, and as roomy as an Astro van...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Welcome to the forums Doug!

We are in the same boat as you. I have Ascent on order and love the car. But, I still get second thoughts once in a while (like when reports of missing welds and other issues crop up).

Ascent, Atlas, Highlander and Pilot were what were/are considering. Volkswagen's quality issues and expensive repairs turned us off Atlas, which space-wise is difficult to beat. Highlander and Pilot are nice (and I guess reliable), but in the middle of their model cycle, which means two years down, my car would be "old" And, if we go for 2019 models, I'll be paying premium over Ascent for many features.
Sometimes, we also think of spending few thousands more and getting an MDX, but then there's no end to it.

Experience has taught us never to buy a new model in the first year.
Can you please elaborate that a little more? That is one of the biggest worries we have as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Traildogck, if I recall correctly the Cherokees were a 77 Quadra-Trac, an 84 Grand Cherokee Selec-Trac, and a 2001 Sport, all were second or third hand purchases.

raymieb, to quote Roseanne Rosannadanna, "Well, it just goes to show you it's always something..." My wife's late 70s Mustang ate alternators. My Pacifica was recalled because there were milling shavings left in the engines. I read that the Atlas has had issues with leaky fuel tanks, and front end noises that may be faulty struts, or loose brake caliper issues. The Ascents had the weld problem in a couple hundred cars. Normally all companies stand behind new cars, and usually most of them are okay, and the others eventually get fixed, but it can get really inconvenient when you are waiting on backordered parts that the factory wants as much as the dealerships. So, we've decided it's simply easier to "not be the first by which the new are tried".

1 - 5 of 5 Posts