Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all,
Once i figured out my rear view dash cam settings i have now put semipermanently in place in the upper driver’s side of the window. I just noticed that the cover on the the 12 volt plug has this little retainer to keep the plug from popping out.

Auto part

Does my appreciation of this sort of thing make me a nerd? What other little gems have people discovered?
Hope you are all well!

SA

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
I may have missed the other threads where this was asked and answered -

What was the impetus to do this versus wiring a secondary rear-view camera to a primary forward facing camera?

·
Registered
116 Posts
SA,

Interesting. I have a several questions:

1) Please confirm that the system is plug and play -- just plug in the Apeman dash cam to a power source in the Ascent and you are good to go?
2) Not sure how the rear dash cam settings on the Ascent (from your first post) affect the the dash cams?
3). Would be great if you could post photos of the mounting of your front and rear facing dash cameras.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, it is plug and play basically. There is a bit of setup in the camera that you have to do but it’s pretty simple. Also you have to purchase the SD cards separately and I tucked the wires away so they aren’t noticeable. They do provide a little trim tool to lift up the edge of the weather stripping and push it in the seams between different panels. Suction cup and sticky backed mounting brackets are provided as well as the plugs.

I have two cameras in the car; one in the front and one in the rear. The front camera does not interfere with the Eyesight cameras if that is what your asking. The front facing camera is hidden in front of the rear view mirror on the passenger side and can’t be seen from the drivers seat. I’ll post pics when my wife gets home after work this evening...

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pardon the poor quality pics (the light wasn’t very good when i took these but you’ll get the idea. The front camera is a bit farther to the right than i made it sound previously but it isn’t obtrusive from the drivers seat and I don’t think it would bother a front seat passenger...

Room House

Front

Architecture Automotive exterior

Rear mounted with a sticky backed swivel mount (provided)

once they power up the screens go dark but they keep recording on a loop (which you can change in settings) so they aren’t really a distraction. My wife hasn’t complained about them being in the way or anything so i think they are there to stay.
Regards

·
Registered
116 Posts
Thanks much for posting the photos. Looks like pretty simple installations - one question regarding the rear camera. For the rear camera, is the power cord fastened and just squeezes through the rubber weather stripping when the rear hatch is closed or did you go through a more elaborate method of routing the power cord for the rear camera?

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, it is just squeezed underneath the weather stripping and then where the plastic panel on the bottom of the lift gate meets the interior side panel. The remainder of the cord (they are quite long) is coiled up underneath the floor protector/mat. It is nearly invisible and would unlikely be a nuisance when loading/unloading.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Thanks for all the helpful info.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts