Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am experiencing a problem with my 2020. I got it new and has very low mileage, but I am using it daily. Suddenly there is no sound in my infotainment system at all. I called the garage and they said , they are waiting an update and might take up to a month! The next day no battery also. But all the lights were flickering… and my husband had to remove the battery cables. Then I saw that there is actually a class action act about the battery issues. Plus the infotainment often will froze, and my Apple Music will not play correctly if it is not with a USB since an update they did last year. Anyone else has similar issues?

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,600 Posts
What version is the firmware on your head unit? There have been multiple updates since your vehicle was produced.

·
Super Moderator
4,600 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@Robert.Mauro ... is that the latest version?
I Only see an update for the maps back in May that I haven’t download, can’t see any other updates pending. Actually the last update messed up the infotainment and my Apple Music will not play correctly without a usb. The song is in a speed mode…

·
Administrator
11,415 Posts
Hi Jim, I see the version is the 2.4.1
Hi, that's not a firmware version. Go into Settings->General->System Information

Look for the string that starts with "REL"

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi, that's not a firmware version. Go into Settings->General->System Information

Look for the string that starts with "REL"
So apparently it was the battery. In 15.000 miles failed today, with no apparent reason, the sound stop yesterday. They jacked up now and sounds is working. I am really scared a have a defect one when it comes to the battery issue. I need to go to Subaru service ASAP… thanks for the help.

·
Administrator
11,415 Posts
So apparently it was the battery. In 15.000 miles failed today, with no apparent reason, the sound stop yesterday. They jacked up now and sounds is working. I am really scared a have a defect one when it comes to the battery issue. I need to go to Subaru service ASAP… thanks for the help.
The issue is possibly the amplifier, and not (originally) the battery. A malfunctioning amplifier in the Ascent can kill the battery. Make sure let them know that sound kept cutting out. If the amp is bad, the battery may have been damaged by it, when it was drained, so, that should be tested too.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I'm tagging along another audio related question, especially as I'm taking the car in for service tomorrow morning.

I have an intermittent cut out in the audio system. Probably occurs 1-2 times weekly.

Audio, regardless of source, will be working fine. Then the navigation will come on and cut out a couple of speakers as it delivers its driving instructions. And then those speakers will not return to playing audio. Sometimes even after I restart the car, the problem will persist.

Any thoughts on this, or has anyone else experienced this?. I am also going to ask them to update everything, including the navigation, as the car will be in for a full day.

·
Super Moderator
4,600 Posts
Percy, once in a blue moon or so my Ascent's sound system will do similar and even a hard reset (long press) doesn't clear it. Turning it off and leaving it sit for a half hour does cure it. I honestly think this is some kind of tiny bug in the code that occasionally gets triggered. Sadly, I had similar issues with my previous vehicle which was a different brand. A nice nap cured it there, too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The issue is possibly the amplifier, and not (originally) the battery. A malfunctioning amplifier in the Ascent can kill the battery. Make sure let them know that sound kept cutting out. If the amp is bad, the battery may have been damaged by it, when it was drained, so, that should be tested too.
The amp issue has supposedly been fixed. However, iOS 15 has a known bug that’s crashing radios across all car brands. That’s the update they are talking about. It’s well-documented on the web. I was ANGRY when I called my dealer about it after pulling the audio fuse to fix it. The fix, according to my dealer, is to unpair your phone from Bluetooth. If it’s paired and plugged in via usb the two compete and the system crashes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have had the same issue with the head unit having the audio cut out. It is the amp, I would go under the seat and unplug both wiring harnesses for a few hours then plug them back in. It would work fine after that but it has happened a few times. I recently had the amp replaced at the dealership under warranty.

·
Super Moderator
4,600 Posts
The amp issue has supposedly been fixed. However, iOS 15 has a known bug that’s crashing radios across all car brands. That’s the update they are talking about. It’s well-documented on the web. I was ANGRY when I called my dealer about it after pulling the audio fuse to fix it. The fix, according to my dealer, is to unpair your phone from Bluetooth. If it’s paired and plugged in via usb the two compete and the system crashes.
I have not experienced this issue with iOS 15,x,x in my Ascent and I while I use CarPlay pretty religiously, it's also paired for Bluetooth.

·
Administrator
11,415 Posts
Alas, you're confusing issues. Issues of audio cutting out, or weird distortion, with issues of the battery being mysteriously killed, is almost always a bad amplifier. I'm not sure what amp issue you think was fixed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts