Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my 2019 Ascent in February 2019. My husband had a Legacy and loved it. I had driven Toyota mini vans for almost 20 years and I was ready to downsize. After looking at the Pilot and Highlander we decide to go with the Ascent because of the standard safety features and the excellent service my husband had gotten at the dealership. As soon as the warm weather came in May I turned on my ac. I would describe it as 'blowing warm' it certainly wasn't cool or cold. I thought maybe I wasn't in the car long enough for it to get cold. After a week of this I called the deal and took it in. The dealership said it wasn't charged at all and they charged it. I drove it for a few months and I would never describe the ac as cold but it was cool. I read several posts that said the ac in these vehicles doesn't get cold so I figured I could live with it. In early September I noticed that it was blowing warm again. Took it in a 2nd time and this time they checked for a leak and changed some O rings. No leak was found. Seemed to be working fine. Last week the first hot day of the year in upstate NY I turn on the ac and all I got was hot air and a hissing sound. So back to the dealer it went.
I drive a lot; I put 29K miles on my Ascent in the first year, so ac is important to me. But what I have also noticed is little things that I brushed off now are making me rethink the vehicle:
  • Issues with the radio / Apply Carplay not connecting to my phone either wirelessly or via a cord
  • Not able to use hands free calling
  • Radio not turning on for several minutes then suddenly coming on
  • Passenger window going all the way up and then going down - wont' stay up (dealer said the sensor had to be cleaned)
  • Squeaky breaks - dealership said it was due to the car being out of alignment and they gave me 4 new tires under warranty and an alignment
  • This week my sunroof has a hairline crack. My insurance will cover a 100% but still
I have had my brand new vehicle in the shop more than I had my Toyota mini van with 150K miles which I owned for 7 years prior to buying this Ascent.

We knew there was a risk buying a 1st generation model; I wish I would have bought the Highlander.

Oh, my husband just bought another Subaru, this time an Outback and he's still in love.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,108 Posts
I bought my 2019 Ascent in February 2019. My husband had a Legacy and loved it. I had driven Toyota mini vans for almost 20 years and I was ready to downsize. After looking at the Pilot and Highlander we decide to go with the Ascent because of the standard safety features and the excellent service my husband had gotten at the dealership. As soon as the warm weather came in May I turned on my ac. I would describe it as 'blowing warm' it certainly wasn't cool or cold. I thought maybe I wasn't in the car long enough for it to get cold. After a week of this I called the deal and took it in. The dealership said it wasn't charged at all and they charged it. I drove it for a few months and I would never describe the ac as cold but it was cool. I read several posts that said the ac in these vehicles doesn't get cold so I figured I could live with it. In early September I noticed that it was blowing warm again. Took it in a 2nd time and this time they checked for a leak and changed some O rings. No leak was found. Seemed to be working fine. Last week the first hot day of the year in upstate NY I turn on the ac and all I got was hot air and a hissing sound. So back to the dealer it went.
I drive a lot; I put 29K miles on my Ascent in the first year, so ac is important to me. But what I have also noticed is little things that I brushed off now are making me rethink the vehicle:
  • Issues with the radio / Apply Carplay not connecting to my phone either wirelessly or via a cord
  • Not able to use hands free calling
  • Radio not turning on for several minutes then suddenly coming on
  • Passenger window going all the way up and then going down - wont' stay up (dealer said the sensor had to be cleaned)
  • Squeaky breaks - dealership said it was due to the car being out of alignment and they gave me 4 new tires under warranty and an alignment
  • This week my sunroof has a hairline crack. My insurance will cover a 100% but still
I have had my brand new vehicle in the shop more than I had my Toyota mini van with 150K miles which I owned for 7 years prior to buying this Ascent.

We knew there was a risk buying a 1st generation model; I wish I would have bought the Highlander.

Oh, my husband just bought another Subaru, this time an Outback and he's still in love.
Regarding the A/C, I found that none of the 2020 SUVs that I test drove (several brands) blew air whitch was as cold as the air in my 2010, 2004 or 1999 cars. Living in Florida there aren't any days the A/C isn't in use. I attribute the decline in the temp of the air to the changes that have been made in the refrigerants over the years to make them greener. Blowing warm air though is a problem and it sounds like your dealer didn't try very hard.

The first thing they should do is add UV (ultra violet) dye to the system. They can find even the tiniest leaks using the UV light. They need to check under the dash too where the evaporator and expansion valve are located in the heater box. Get this fixed while you still have full warranty coverage. If the dash needs to be removed the repair could cost thousands.

Regarding the radio delayed turn on. Are you counting the time it takes for the head unit to boot up? Are you parking in a garage? If you are tuned to an HD or an XM station you won't receive a signal until you pull out of the garage and the antenna can see the sky.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,839 Posts
Issues with the radio / Apply Carplay not connecting to my phone either wirelessly or via a cord
CarPlay is wired only. Same for AndroidAuto if that ever becomes a need for your family. Most issues with the entertainment system are solved by current firmware.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
31 Posts
I’ve had my 2019 touring now a year now. My a/c I have never had to turn lower than 70 or it will be to cold to be comfortable.
  • I had a similar problem with car play, but once they updated the head unit I’ve had no issue. Needs to be plugged in.
  • my driver window did the same, and they replaced the sensor. I’ve since had no issue.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I recently hit 8k miles on my 2020 Limited and a few days ago I could feel a noticeable difference in air conditioning halfway through my commute home. It's almost as if it stopped working at full capacity. I wasn't sure if it was in my head because it's gotten hotter outside (SW Georgia/SE Alabama) or if there really is something wrong. I'm gonna keep an eye on it for a few weeks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts