Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed this on my Ascent while I was going into the garage. It is on a slight incline and the garage floor has a 1" pad elevation. When the car gets to the 1" pad elevation, sometimes I'm going slow enough so it will stop at that point. I can't get over that 1" pad elevation no matter how much gas I give the car. I need to backup, get some speed so the momentum gets me over, then it's ok.

I noticed the same behavior with another Ascent I got as a loaner from the dealership. Is this a common issue with CVT transmissions or with just the Ascent? I haven't tried it with traction control off yet, but putting this out there to see if this is a known issue.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
What exactly happens when you press on the gas pedal? Does the engine rev and the car not go anywhere?

With 277 lb-ft of torque, the engine has enough power to pull the Ascent and a 5000 lb trailer up a steep incline, so it should be able to overcome a 1" pad. Especially with 18-20" wheels.

I also have a 1" pad on my garage floor, I always approach the garage entrance very slowly, less than 1mph because the Ascent is a tight fit, but I never noticed this behavior. It climbs the pad like it wasn't even there.

I've seen videos of the Ascent climbing large off-road inclines, so it's hard to imagine a 1" obstacle stopping it.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I've had a similar experience trying to get up on floor ramps. Tried multiple times without any progress, including x-mode. An obstruction warning kept on chiming too. Eventually had to do what you said - reverse, and get some momentum.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can push the gas pedal all the way to the floor, the engine RPMs go up but not really high. I'll experiment with it and provide additional details.

Pro10is, it looks like you rolled your vehicle to the point where it gets to the lip, have it completely stopped and then attempted to progress past that. And it was successful. If you can, try it with a higher lip, if you can find one, and see if you can still have no problems.

Thanks,

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didn't get any warning / obstruction indications for when this occurred for me.
I'll test it this weekend with traction control off, without incline but 1" obstruction present, etc...

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I can push the gas pedal all the way to the floor, the engine RPMs go up but not really high. I'll experiment with it and provide additional details.

Pro10is, it looks like you rolled your vehicle to the point where it gets to the lip, have it completely stopped and then attempted to progress past that. And it was successful. If you can, try it with a higher lip, if you can find one, and see if you can still have no problems.

Thanks,
Will do.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I noticed this on my Ascent while I was going into the garage. It is on a slight incline and the garage floor has a 1" pad elevation. When the car gets to the 1" pad elevation, sometimes I'm going slow enough so it will stop at that point. I can't get over that 1" pad elevation no matter how much gas I give the car. I need to backup, get some speed so the momentum gets me over, then it's ok.

I noticed the same behavior with another Ascent I got as a loaner from the dealership. Is this a common issue with CVT transmissions or with just the Ascent? I haven't tried it with traction control off yet, but putting this out there to see if this is a known issue.

Thanks
Chance you could take video while doing it? Sounds like a frustrating problem.

I also have a very inclined driveway but the Ascent will move at any position, even stuck down in the rut of the gutter. At dead stop it will push itself up and one wheel barely has traction in that position.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll see what I can do this weekend. My Ascent is currently at the dealer getting the trailer hitch installed. I called the dealer and let them know about the issue. They'll test it themselves on one of their ramps.

·
Registered
63 Posts

I experienced the EXACT same issue the first time I gingerly pulled my Ascent into the garage. Hasn't happened since.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
800 Posts
I just did a test in my driveway that has a 1 degree upslope using a 2x6 board (1.75"). I nudged the board up against the front tires, backed away a foot or so then rolled forward until the board stopped the car. It took just a gentle push on the accelerator, 200-300 more rpms to roll up over the board with no trouble. I repeated this 3 times & it always worked as I had expected it to.

If you can't climb a couple of inches from a dead stop with 20"wheels there has to be a problem somewhere.

Hope your dealer can figure it out.

Reactions: Smithim

·
Registered
978 Posts
Eye sight has caused this in the past ie braking the car to avoid a collision. Having said that the early cvts in the Outback while backing up were geared too high and would stall ie not back up steep inclines or over say a curb without momentum.

Trouble going forward not an issue, my first gen cvt will even spin a tire/tires climbing forward.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just did a test in my driveway that has a 1 degree upslope using a 2x6 board (1.75"). I nudged the board up against the front tires, backed away a foot or so then rolled forward until the board stopped the car. It took just a gentle push on the accelerator, 200-300 more rpms to roll up over the board with no trouble. I repeated this 3 times & it always worked as I had expected it to.

If you can't climb a couple of inches from a dead stop with 20"wheels there has to be a problem somewhere.

Hope your dealer can figure it out.
I too had to give it a test with a 2 or 3 degree incline (the Subaru goes back and forth between 2 and 3, must be 2.5). I have a piece of concrete sticking up that is approximately an inch, but enough to stop the slow idle up the driveway. At a complete stop and nudged against the concrete, with a fully warmed engine, it took an insignificant amount of gas pedal to move the Ascent forward.

Wish we had something better to help you krees. I hope the dealer is able to recreate the scenario so you can get some answers.

·
Registered
61 Posts
i had to test it as well. we have around an 8 degree incline for a driveway. i used TRED Pro traction boards in front of the wheels (sideways, not the usual way to go up them), which seem to be about 2 inches high, with maybe an 80-85 degree edge (not a full 90 that a 2by4 would have).

i tried it twice. i went up and over from a standstill with no problem at all.

makes me wonder how high i can go from a standstill at 8 degree slope. i have some cement slabs i can stack..

·
Registered
63 Posts
Tried it 3 different times today. No issues. Barely had to tap the accelerator to get past the 1" garage lip.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
As you asked, I tried this several times today from a complete standstill and with the tires nudged against the 1" step. The Ascent climbed the incline like it wasn't there.

Bring your car to the dealer and use something to recreate the problem for them there so they can see for themselves. There has to be something wrong.

If you do discover what it is, please share the results with us.

·
Registered
266 Posts

Thanks

My only suggestion is for you to test things one by one:
* You tested 2 different Ascents, so this proves is not specific to your vehicle.
* Test it with the CVT in manual mode, 1st gear. This will tell you if it's the CVT perhaps choosing a wrong gear ratio for some reason.
* Test with Traction control off. This will tell you if it's perhaps incorrectly sensing a wheel is spinning or something.
* Test with Eyesight off. Perhaps your garage has something that Eyesight recognizes as a threat and applies the brakes. If turning it off makes the issue go away, turn it on and test covering things in your garage with white sheets until you figure what's scaring your car.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Have similar experience in level but very tight garage.

If stopped midway, car will refuse to move forward. It will rev up , but eyesight shows “Obstacle detected” and will refuse move forward.

Solved by moving forward to garage all the way slowly slowly, without stopping in the middle.

This never happens with ‘16 Forester eyesight

1 - 20 of 42 Posts