Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else had any issues with the rubber weather stripping between the windshield cowl cover (where the windshield wipers are) and the actual windshield? I started hearing a rattle which seemed like it was coming from the display on top of the dash when I was on the highway. Couldn't find anything inside the vehicle. When I arrived at my location, i noticed the the rubber seal had separated from the cowl cover. It seems like its getting caught by the wind and vibrating/hitting the windshield making the sound. I re-installed the seal where it goes and carried on. until it happened again. so it seems like there will be a dealer visit soon. Before then, just wanted to check in to see if this has been an issue for others.

Thanks guys/gals!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Figure a picture would help...keep pushing it back in place but it keep getting pulled out on the highway.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,883 Posts
That's not normal or common. It needs to be fixed. See your dealer service department.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's not normal or common. It needs to be fixed. See your dealer service department.
I hear you...but I'm so anti-dealer and having the knuckleheads that work there touch my car that I would almost rather order the part and change it myself. It'd take an hour at best rather than likely repeated visits as they figure out what it is, order the part and then have me come back to replace it. My local dealer sucks (25 minutes away), so i bought my car from a more reputable one 80 minutes away with a better service department. Just venting...i digress...lol.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,883 Posts
This is a warranty issue. Your choice, of course, but dealer service for warranty work is how I'd handle it. Based on my observation of some windshield replacements, taking care of the issue you show may every well involve dealing with the whole windshield and that's not DIY, especially with re-calibration required if it has to be pulled or replaced.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Figure a picture would help...keep pushing it back in place but it keep getting pulled out on the highway.
Has anyone else had any issues with the rubber weather stripping between the windshield cowl cover (where the windshield wipers are) and the actual windshield? I started hearing a rattle which seemed like it was coming from the display on top of the dash when I was on the highway. Couldn't find anything inside the vehicle. When I arrived at my location, i noticed the the rubber seal had separated from the cowl cover. It seems like its getting caught by the wind and vibrating/hitting the windshield making the sound. I re-installed the seal where it goes and carried on. until it happened again. so it seems like there will be a dealer visit soon. Before then, just wanted to check in to see if this has been an issue for others.

Thanks guys/gals!
I've had a nearly identical problem on my 2019. It's a bit of a story: I noticed it too late after I bought it used from a Ford dealer (of all places) to have it addressed. I mentioned it to Subaru and they blamed it on shoddy work from an aftermarket windshield (put in by Ford presumably). They told me it was the cowl, they didn't have the part in so I ignored it for 6 months but it's a bad situation in winter (fills with ice and snow).
So I resolved to deal with it this summer on one of my many trips for a recall. I called them and mentioned it, they looked in their files and they said 'oh yeah the cowls, we'll order them" I thought nothing of it and let them proceed. And this time they made it sound like warranty.
Go to pick up the vehicle, look at it first, and problem remains. Turns out they had ordered the right and left cowls, which are small parts near the side. The tech had just blindly installed them even though there was nothing wrong with them. So now they were supposed to order the 'main' cowl, which is just the cowl, and they were supposed to call me back a month ago when it comes in....I guess I have to harass them...Good luck!

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Ascent Touring
6 Posts
I just noticed this on my 2020 Touring (purchased in May 2020). It goes on my list for the 6-month maintenance visit in November.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Just looking at the pics, and at mine which isn't doing that, I'd guess that the rubber gasket was cut a little too long and installed with some longitudinal compression, which is making it bow up.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I just noticed my 2020 Ascent is having this issue as well. Has anyone had theirs replaced yet? If so, how is it holding up?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i had mine replaced. It started flapping around again this weekend. Gonna have to go back.

Reactions: lians60
1 - 12 of 12 Posts