Subaru Ascent Forum banner
41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Administrator
10,811 Posts
Sadly, yes, that's where I suspected this will head. :( And yes, the Body Control Unit (BCU) is the same as the Body Control Module (BCM).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wow, that's an odd saga! I am so glad they finally figured it out!!! :)

Wishing you many trouble free and adventure filled miles ahead.
Any chance you have the information on what had to be replaced. I am in the early stages of this same issue and trying to help the dealer diagnose. To know what part was replaced would be very helpful. We have a 2021 Ascent Premium.
Than you

·
Administrator
10,811 Posts
Any chance you have the information on what had to be replaced. I am in the early stages of this same issue and trying to help the dealer diagnose. To know what part was replaced would be very helpful. We have a 2021 Ascent Premium.
Than you
In his case, it was the Body Control Module, but, there's multiple causes for similar phenomena, including the linkage that connects the actuator to the lock mechanism, door handle frame, etc. So, sorry to say, there's no easy/singular answer, and your dealer will have to do a diagnosis based on your car and not based on his solution. I'd expect they'll check those areas (BCM, lock mechanism, actuator, linkage, door handle frame, etc).

Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
5 Posts
In his case, it was the Body Control Module, but, there's multiple causes for similar phenomena, including the linkage that connects the actuator to the lock mechanism, door handle frame, etc. So, sorry to say, there's no easy/singular answer, and your dealer will have to do a diagnosis based on your car and not based on his solution. I'd expect they'll check those areas (BCM, lock mechanism, actuator, linkage, door handle frame, etc).

Please keep us posted.
Thanks Robert!!

·
Registered
2018 Outback Limited 2.5, 2021 Ascent Premium on the way
315 Posts
about six trips (most 2 to 3 days, ones time 2 weeks) to the dealership, $2000.00 in trouble shooting fees and parts and it is doing the same thing
Why are you being charged? I'd have to imagine this is a warranty issue, and not something you should be paying for.

·
Administrator
10,811 Posts
Why are you being charged? I'd have to imagine this is a warranty issue, and not something you should be paying for.
Because he lives in Europe (and had the car shipped there). The warranty is a US/NA warranty that is not honored by the Subaru dealerships in his country.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Because he lives in Europe (and had the car shipped there). The warranty is a US/NA warranty that is not honored by the Subaru dealerships in his country.
Totally missed that part!

·
Administrator
10,811 Posts
Me too. I had to go back through the posts to figure out why I didn't ask the same question, lol!

·
Registered
5 Posts

Please keep us posted.
Still having these weird issues. Dealer replaced something called a B.I.U. at least I think that is what he called it. I assume it's a body control module. Whatever it's called, it didn't take care of the issue. The first thing they tried was a capacitive discharge. Basically they disconnect both battery cables and tie them together for 15 minutes to reset everything. We got the car back and had the issue reoccur within a couple days then they replaced the module I spoke of earlier. To re-cap the issue I am having is when I use the keyless entry, I place my fingers behind the door handle to open the door and rather than one beep I hear several beeps and the doors unlock then the drivers door re-locks when I try to open it. I have had the alarm go off when trying to enter the vehicle. It has happened more frequently if I have used the remote start app to start the car first but has happened a couple times without using the remote start app. This morning, I remote started the Ascent with the app and when I approached the car and put my fingers behind the door handle nothing happened. So I pulled on the door handle to see what happened and the door opened, the engine stopped and the alarm went off. The doors should have locked when I activated the remote start but they didn't. I have my settings set to unlock all doors when I use the keyless entry on the drivers door and it seems like it unlocks all the doors but the drivers door first then it unlocks the drivers door all the while beeping like 5 times. I have set the keyless entry to unlock the drivers door only for now to see if there is any change in the vehicles behavior. If I use the passenger door keyless entry, all of the doors unlock at the same time without any extra beeping. I have left a message with the service manager at my local dealer and hope to hear back from him this next week. Very frustrating.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ya, still having the same issue also. The dealership here has not been able to figure it out. If you figure it out please post solution. Thank you

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am military and was transferred to Europe and Subaru Europe won’t cover the ascent. It is sad that I can get any help from Subaru of America. I understand Subaru Europe position but would have wished Subaru of America would be more helpful for a military member stationed overseas.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
Still having these weird issues. Dealer replaced something called a B.I.U. at least I think that is what he called it. I assume it's a body control module. Whatever it's called, it didn't take care of the issue. The first thing they tried was a capacitive discharge. Basically they disconnect both battery cables and tie them together for 15 minutes to reset everything. We got the car back and had the issue reoccur within a couple days then they replaced the module I spoke of earlier. To re-cap the issue I am having is when I use the keyless entry, I place my fingers behind the door handle to open the door and rather than one beep I hear several beeps and the doors unlock then the drivers door re-locks when I try to open it. I have had the alarm go off when trying to enter the vehicle. It has happened more frequently if I have used the remote start app to start the car first but has happened a couple times without using the remote start app. This morning, I remote started the Ascent with the app and when I approached the car and put my fingers behind the door handle nothing happened. So I pulled on the door handle to see what happened and the door opened, the engine stopped and the alarm went off. The doors should have locked when I activated the remote start but they didn't. I have my settings set to unlock all doors when I use the keyless entry on the drivers door and it seems like it unlocks all the doors but the drivers door first then it unlocks the drivers door all the while beeping like 5 times. I have set the keyless entry to unlock the drivers door only for now to see if there is any change in the vehicles behavior. If I use the passenger door keyless entry, all of the doors unlock at the same time without any extra beeping. I have left a message with the service manager at my local dealer and hope to hear back from him this next week. Very frustrating.
open up a case with SOA and ask that they provide tech assistance to the dealer. It is obviously repairable and the dealer should be familiar with the necessary steps to diagnose.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I am military and was transferred to Europe and Subaru Europe won’t cover the ascent. It is sad that I can get any help from Subaru of America. I understand Subaru Europe position but would have wished Subaru of America would be more helpful for a military member stationed overseas.
Hopefully SOA will step up for you since you have dealer support abroad.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Posted our issue to the Ascent FB page. Many responses saying to change the FOB battery. I went ahead and changed the FOB battery yesterday. This morning we remote started the Ascent and when my wife tried to open the drivers door, she got the same 5 double beeps and heard the car unlock, lock, unlock several times before finally allowing her to open the door. Just weird. Dealer has called Regional tech staff for assistance and is awaiting any information. Will keep you posted if we get this figure out.

·
Administrator
10,811 Posts
Posted our issue to the Ascent FB page. Many responses saying to change the FOB battery. I went ahead and changed the FOB battery yesterday. This morning we remote started the Ascent and when my wife tried to open the drivers door, she got the same 5 double beeps and heard the car unlock, lock, unlock several times before finally allowing her to open the door. Just weird. Dealer has called Regional tech staff for assistance and is awaiting any information. Will keep you posted if we get this figure out.
Sounds like a stuck actuator or bad handle slide mechanism. Please keep me posted there, here, or both.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks Robert!!
I Believe I found the issue and have fixed it!!!! A few weeks ago I was playing with the manual lock lever in the car and noticed the drivers door lock lever did not have the same crisp easy movement as the passenger door lock lever did. I took the drivers door inner panel off today and found a big gob of the black adhesive used to attach the plastic dust shield to the outer door panel before the inner panel goes on. The adhesive had worked it's way down into the mechanism right where the lock cable attached to the lock lever. I took the mechanism apart and carefully cleaned all the sticky adhesive out and then applied a small amount of silicone grease to ensure good smooth function. The lock now works as smooth as the passenger side lock does. So the issue was the door was not unlocking when the power locks were activated forcing the car to to repeatedly try and unlock the door thus causing the 5 or 6 series of beeps and the resulting door not unlocking. Here is a link to the video I posted on you tube showing what I found.

And here is a link to the video of what it was doing before I worked on it today.

·
Registered
21 Posts
thank you for the post, I will let the dealer here know, if it fixes my issue also I will be sure to make a post. If it does not work, do you know the part number of the body control module they replaced first. The German Subaru dealership tells me there are several control modules but are not sure of which one to start with.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I Believe I found the issue and have fixed it!!!! A few weeks ago I was playing with the manual lock lever in the car and noticed the drivers door lock lever did not have the same crisp easy movement as the passenger door lock lever did. I took the drivers door inner panel off today and found a big gob of the black adhesive used to attach the plastic dust shield to the outer door panel before the inner panel goes on. The adhesive had worked it's way down into the mechanism right where the lock cable attached to the lock lever. I took the mechanism apart and carefully cleaned all the sticky adhesive out and then applied a small amount of silicone grease to ensure good smooth function. The lock now works as smooth as the passenger side lock does. So the issue was the door was not unlocking when the power locks were activated forcing the car to to repeatedly try and unlock the door thus causing the 5 or 6 series of beeps and the resulting door not unlocking. Here is a link to the video I posted on you tube showing what I found.

And here is a link to the video of what it was doing before I worked on it today.

Any chance you can check the invoice and let me know the part number of the BIU that they changes out. The dealership here thinks it is a BIU, also known as a BCM. but there are several and they are not sure which one (they think it is the one attached to the fuse box part 82201XC21A) but I really get the feeling they are guessing …. Thanks again for the videos on the “tar” sealant as the possible problem, the dealership here has my ascent (for the 6th time on this) and I showed them your videos and they never thought of that, they are checking all four doors now.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts