Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We purchased a utility trailer and hooked up the trailer at the store and the right directional didn't work. We asked to get a different one and that one wouldn't allow the brake light and right directional to work. Thinking it was a car issue we checked with another new model at the Lowes store to be sure and the same thing happened. We did take the second trailer home figuring it was a car issue. Checked it on a camper using the larger plugin and same issue with brake light and directional still occurred. The taillights did work on that side. The trailer is housed 4 hours from our home so I couldn't bring it back without the directional. Brought my Ascent to the dealership and they said nothing seemed to be wrong and we would have to bring in the trailer to be checked. I set up an appointment with another dealer closer to where the trailer is located as I don't want to drive through a busy area without a directional. I just wish I could find someone with a working camper or trailer to check my car on.

Also, the cover for the hitch area doesn't stay on well once removed. You think you secure it but then it is loose.

·
Registered
646 Posts
No idea on the light but the cover should be secure. Need to make sure the twist fastner is latching correctly.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I've found the best way to install the cover (after verifying the clips are in place on the bumper fascia) is to have a hand at each fastener location and bend the sides slightly downward as you push it in place to insure it clears the clips and doesn't push them off or catch. Then twist the fasteners into the clips.

·
Registered
35 Posts
We purchased a utility trailer and hooked up the trailer at the store and the right directional didn't work. We asked to get a different one and that one wouldn't allow the brake light and right directional to work. Thinking it was a car issue we checked with another new model at the Lowes store to be sure and the same thing happened. We did take the second trailer home figuring it was a car issue. Checked it on a camper using the larger plugin and same issue with brake light and directional still occurred. The taillights did work on that side. The trailer is housed 4 hours from our home so I couldn't bring it back without the directional. Brought my Ascent to the dealership and they said nothing seemed to be wrong and we would have to bring in the trailer to be checked. I set up an appointment with another dealer closer to where the trailer is located as I don't want to drive through a busy area without a directional. I just wish I could find someone with a working camper or trailer to check my car on.

Also, the cover for the hitch area doesn't stay on well once removed. You think you secure it but then it is loose.
You could consider a trailer connector tester. They plug into the connector and emulate a trailer load, with LED's for each light/power function. 4-pin are ~$5, 7-pin might be around ~$20. I keep one around to help narrow down wiring issues. Search "tester" on etrailer.com for examples.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts