Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Now have a very repeatable "squeak" noise when shifting from park to drive, started at ~1800 miles. Currently happening only when engine is "cold" (e.g. first start in the morning, leaving work, etc) and repeatable shifting in and out of drive until engine warms up.

Anyone else?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes! My Ascent has about 1400 miles and it just started making a little squeak sound when shifting into drive this week. Thought it was a fluke, but I've heard it multiple times now. I have no idea what it could be…

·
Administrator
12,149 Posts
Yep, hear it all the time.

·
Administrator
12,149 Posts
Others have reported the same on Subaru's other high torque CVT (the one mated to the Outback 3.6R and WRXs).

You'll all note that the most consistent reports are from high torque CVT owners (look under their profile name). But, you will also note this:
Cold soak CVT pressures are low 200s PSI. 1.5 second initial lag times allows the CVT to fill up both primary and secondary pulleys causing this chirping noise and at times a surging until pressure equalizes. Noise is considered normal. No repairs made at this time.
https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/138-gen-5-2015-2019/374921-squeak-when-shifting-park-drive.html

·
Registered
270 Posts
Greetings,
Thanks for the info.

So after six months and just shy of 3800 miles, I'm now hearing the "chirp" when I shift into drive after the car has been parked for a while. Is there any guess as to why it would appear now?

In my case, it's not a matter of seconds, but at least a minute or two before I don't hear it. I'm certainly not shifting into drive within 1.5 seconds. Or perhaps I misunderstand. Is this a 1.5 second lag time between shifting into drive and the transmission engaging?

thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Now have a very repeatable "squeak" noise when shifting from park to drive, started at ~1800 miles. Currently happening only when engine is "cold" (e.g. first start in the morning, leaving work, etc) and repeatable shifting in and out of drive until engine warms up.

Anyone else?

Yes with 18k miles my squeak is now a clunk. Dealer has seen 2x with no idea how to repair but presents a service notice that says, "this is normal". Also have an intermittent drivetrain shuddering at approx 60 mph. Again dealer can't discover the cause.

·
Administrator
12,149 Posts
Yes with 18k miles my squeak is now a clunk. Dealer has seen 2x with no idea how to repair but presents a service notice that says, "this is normal". Also have an intermittent drivetrain shuddering at approx 60 mph. Again dealer can't discover the cause.
A clunk when shifting out of park is generally the parking pawl. It's not related to the "squeak" when shifting, at all. It is caused by not using the parking brake every single time the car is put in park (and before the foot brake is disengaged), which is required, as noted in the manual. It's called "torque lock") and I go into great detail about it somewhere in the forum. It is "normal" only in that the transmission will make such a sound when the car isn't properly parked. ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
A clunk when shifting out of park is generally the parking pawl. It's not related to the "squeak" when shifting, at all. It is caused by not using the parking brake every single time the car is put in park (and before the foot brake is disengaged), which is required, as noted in the manual. It's called "torque lock") and I go into great detail about it somewhere in the forum. It is "normal" only in that the transmission will make such a sound when the car isn't properly parked. ;)
Except neither of us is talking about shifting from Park. Our squeak/clunk complaint is Shifting from "R" to "D". Since mine is getting worse with miles, I'd appreciate you researching the problem with your engineers.

·
Administrator
12,149 Posts
Except neither of us is talking about shifting from Park. Our squeak/clunk complaint is Shifting from "R" to "D". Since mine is getting worse with miles, I'd appreciate you researching the problem with your engineers.
I wish I had engineers. I don't work for Subaru. The "squeal" is normal. Can you safely record the clunk? I do have an idea what may cause a clunk, but it's very much not related to the squeal at all.

And yes, he was talking about shifting from park - alas, I guess you tagged onto the wrong comment, because you quoted him and said you had the same problem - hence my response.

Now have a very repeatable "squeak" noise when shifting from park to drive,​

So, now that we've established you have a different problem, if you manage that video, I'd love to hear it. Maybe I can point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I wish I had engineers. I don't work for Subaru. The "squeal" is normal. Can you safely record the clunk? I do have an idea what may cause a clunk, but it's very much not related to the squeal at all.

And yes, he was talking about shifting from park - alas, I guess you tagged onto the wrong comment, because you quoted him and said you had the same problem - hence my response.

Now have a very repeatable "squeak" noise when shifting from park to drive,​

So, now that we've established you have a different problem, if you manage that video, I'd love to hear it. Maybe I can point you in the right direction.
You are right. So the squeak/clunk occurs whether you are in P or R and shift to D. All the more reason to believe something wrong is going on down there, especially as the miles build. If that's normal, then I don't believe prospective buyers would want that and I'm sure owners don't..

·
Administrator
12,149 Posts
You are right. So the squeak/clunk occurs whether you are in P or R and shift to D. All the more reason to believe something wrong is going on down there, especially as the miles build. If that's normal, then I don't believe prospective buyers would want that and I'm sure owners don't..
Two different circumstances. Can you tell me which?
  1. Does it occur when shifting from R to D?

OR

2. Does it occur shifting from P to R and/or P to D?
    (if so, it's the parking pawl. Do you always engage the parking brake before removing your foot from the brake pedal when parking?)

·
Administrator
12,149 Posts

OR

(if so, it's the parking pawl. Do you always engage the parking brake before removing your foot from the brake pedal when parking?)
If #1, does it sound like this, except happening once?

·
Registered
7 Posts

OR

R to D after backing out from my garage to my level driveway. I don't use the parking brake unless I'm on an incline.

·
Administrator
12,149 Posts
R to D after backing out from my garage to my level driveway. I don't use the parking brake unless I'm on an incline.
As per the instructions, you should always use it. The regulations for parking pawls has changed, requiring them to grab differently each new revision (and there's lots of them).

Please let me know if the clunk sounds like what's in the video, and please let me know if you shift while the vehicle still has some rolling momentum.

·
Administrator
12,149 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts

OR

Robert: 2020 Ascent 5,000 miles, loud "ping" when shifting from park to reverse, only when vehicle has been sitting, initial start up each day. It started happening around 1,500 miles. No noticeable "ping" shifting from park to drive!

·
Administrator
12,149 Posts
Robert: 2020 Ascent 5,000 miles, loud "ping" when shifting from park to reverse, only when vehicle has been sitting, initial start up each day. It started happening around 1,500 miles. No noticeable "ping" shifting from park to drive!
Sounds like the parking brake wasn't fully engaged before you took your foot off the foot brake. The Ascent's parking brake has an electronic "gear solenoid" (I should know what it's really called, but let's pretend for now) that takes a couple of seconds to engage.

Because of the way the newest parking pawls are designed (in order to meet federal regs, and hold the weight of the Ascent), it's pretty easy for them to "torque lock" onto the lock gear ring, causing that "ping" when you shift.

Because of that, the manual requires that you always use the parking brake, even on flat ground, and operate it before disengaging the foot brake. So, when you do so, remember to wait for it to engage all the way before removing your foot from the foot brake. Even the shift of the car from opening or closing the door or liftgate can get the car to shift a little more onto the parking pawl if no parking brake is engaged.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.