Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a rattle noise coming from the hub of the steering wheel. It comes when I start off , hit a bump. Or turn. It started off very soft but is now getting louder and more often. Stopped by the dealer and they made an appointment for Friday AM
The main concern I have is this is the area that has an airbag in it. I was also told that as I had over 1000 miles I should get the 1000 mile service done! That was the first time I had heard of that has anyone else been told that?

·
Registered
275 Posts
I have a rattle noise coming from the hub of the steering wheel. It comes when I start off , hit a bump. Or turn. It started off very soft but is now getting louder and more often. Stopped by the dealer and they made an appointment for Friday AM
The main concern I have is this is the area that has an airbag in it. I was also told that as I had over 1000 miles I should get the 1000 mile service done! That was the first time I had heard of that has anyone else been told that?

I've never heard of a standard service done at 1,000 miles. The earliest I've heard is 3,000 miles, from my dealer.

Reactions: Sparkland

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
The first service on the Ascent is 6,000 miles. Unlike earlier Subarus and other cars, there's no break-in service at 1,000/3,000/3,500 miles (or whatever early interval).

I think your dealer is confused. Break-in period is 1,000 miles, but there's no service related to that.

More details are here:
2019 Subaru Ascent 7 passenger research webpage

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Took car in for service. Nothing more was said about 1000 mile service but they checked out my noise, It sounded like it was coming from the steering whell area but they said they heard it and after checking everything found that it was coming from the center consul. We had put quarters for tolls in the tray and when they removed the tray the noise left. We drove it both with the tray in and with it removed and they were correct. With it out the noise left.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Took car in for service. Nothing more was said about 1000 mile service but they checked out my noise, It sounded like it was coming from the steering whell area but they said they heard it and after checking everything found that it was coming from the center consul. We had put quarters for tolls in the tray and when they removed the tray the noise left. We drove it both with the tray in and with it removed and they were correct. With it out the noise left.

Ha ha, I've been there. You are glad it wasn't a serious issue, but you feel kinda dumb that it was something so simple lol :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Did the dealer resolve the issue with the noise from the steering wheel? I have the same issue but the dealer can't replicate the noise. I have recorded the noise but my dealer is just being very lazy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Did the dealer fix the rattle noise? I have the same problem for the months but the dealer can't replicate the noise when they test drive. I even recorded the noise many times but the technician needs to hear it himself to see exactly where it is originating from. Can you let me know what was the problem so I can talk to my dealer? Thanks

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
3000 mile service is the first service recommended by Subaru and that is only for severe conditions, otherwise it is 6000. If the dealer offers a 1000 mile service (not clear as to what is included ) for free, go for it, otherwise ask them to justify it in light of the manufacture's recommendation of 6000 miles. This will be a good indicator of who you are dealing with at this dealership. Maybe they are great and simply offering a free once over just to make you smile and feel cared for. Maybe it is a way to fleece your wallet. You will figure out which.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Did the dealer fix the rattle noise? I have the same problem for the months but the dealer can't replicate the noise when they test drive. I even recorded the noise many times but the technician needs to hear it himself to see exactly where it is originating from. Can you let me know what was the problem so I can talk to my dealer? Thanks
Same here, Multiple visits to dealership did not help.
But I have finally figured it out that, the steering airbag/horn unit is in contact with its base and is causing rattling noise. Inserted some sound proofing tape, 4 layers of 1 inch by 1 inch size and between the two mounts.

That noise is gone.

You just hold the horn unit up, when noise is observed. If it stops then the root cause is same.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.