Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I experienced an issue with my vehicle this weekend that occurred twice. The vehicle was off and started making a high-pitched noise (either like a fan or a small motor) from the rear driver's side of the vehicle. The only way I could stop it was to turn the vehicle on and then off. My concern is it could happen without me knowing and drain the battery.

I don't know what triggered the first occurrence but the second time happened after I walked by the vehicle with the key fob triggering the interior lights to turn on but I never opened the vehicle. The interior lights turned off after some time and then it started making the noise. The first time it happened I thought it might be the rear lift gate motor but I was able to open and close the rear gate while the noise continued.

I am scheduled to bring in to the dealer Wednesday but I was a little concerned that they are already preparing me to take a loaner. Hopefully this can be addressed quickly.

Here is a recording of the noise taken last night in my garage so there is really nothing to see.

·
Registered
978 Posts
All modern cars have a emissions purge pump that can kick on after being shut off. Also push button start cars I know my Ford does this the proximity key triggers the fuel pump priming when you get within a few ft of the car.

·
Registered
646 Posts
quite loud for a fuel pump. Isn't that where the rear AC unit is? Maybe a fan for that?

·
Registered
411 Posts
i know on page 9 of the owners manual it says this:

You may hear a noise from under the vehicle approximately 5 to 10 hours
after the ignition switch is turned to the “LOCK”/“OFF” position. However, this
does not indicate a malfunction. This noise is caused by the operation of the
fuel evaporation leakage checking system and the operation is normal. The
noise will stop after approximately 15 minutes.

I am not able to watch the video at work. If it only happens when it is OFF, then this is likely a solution.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I am not able to watch the video at work. If it only happens when it is OFF, then this is likely a solution.

Interesting find. I haven't let it run that long so maybe that is the case. If I encounter it again I'll let it run that long to see what happens.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Interesting find. I haven't let it run that long so maybe that is the case. If I encounter it again I'll let it run that long to see what happens.
This is what it probably is. I have a 2018 Outback and it was making the same noise. I asked the dealer if it was the fuel pump, and they told me it was the fuel evaporative system. I heard it the first few months I had it, but have not heard it for a while now.

·
Registered
927 Posts

It is this! My last 2 Subarus have done this (2014 Impreza and 2017 Outback). If you're worried and hear it again, set a timer for 15 mins and go check again when the timer goes off.

Yes, freaked me out the first time I heard it too.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Mine is in the shop now. There was a loud noise in the rear on the driver's side that sounded like a bad fan. It happened when I turned on the ventilated seat fan on the driver side.

The shop said this had been reported before and they want a regional technician to look at it. I'm in a base Forester loaner. It's nice but not my Ascent.

As with many electrical problems, it is intermittent. At least the dealer heard it twice before ordering a new fan.

·
Registered
584 Posts

So glad I was able to read this a couple of months before I picked up my Ascent. I would have feared awaking to a dead battery in the morning.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I got the same noise tonight when I made sure my garage doors were down before turning in for the night. I turned the ignition on and back off, and it stopped. I was glad to read this thread. Thanks!

·
Registered
62 Posts
I experienced an issue with my vehicle this weekend that occurred twice. The vehicle was off and started making a high-pitched noise (either like a fan or a small motor) from the rear driver's side of the vehicle. The only way I could stop it was to turn the vehicle on and then off. My concern is it could happen without me knowing and drain the battery.

I don't know what triggered the first occurrence but the second time happened after I walked by the vehicle with the key fob triggering the interior lights to turn on but I never opened the vehicle. The interior lights turned off after some time and then it started making the noise. The first time it happened I thought it might be the rear lift gate motor but I was able to open and close the rear gate while the noise continued.

I am scheduled to bring in to the dealer Wednesday but I was a little concerned that they are already preparing me to take a loaner. Hopefully this can be addressed quickly.

Here is a recording of the noise taken last night in my garage so there is really nothing to see.

https://youtu.be/3OrfH6k52ak
I had been hearing a motor running for quite some time and thought it was my new garage door opener. Today I heard the motor distinctly coming from the rear of the car around the tow hitch. I called the dealer and was told that it is a fan to remove pressure from the gas line. He said it was perfectly normal. In a way I was disappointed b/c I thought I had discovered the reason my battery dies alot.

·
Administrator
11,121 Posts
I had been hearing a motor running for quite some time and thought it was my new garage door opener. Today I heard the motor distinctly coming from the rear of the car around the tow hitch. I called the dealer and was told that it is a fan to remove pressure from the gas line. He said it was perfectly normal. In a way I was disappointed b/c I thought I had discovered the reason my battery dies alot.
Next time that happens, please do the following if you can:
  1. Record it.
  2. Open your liftgate and let me know if the sound stops.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks for the info on this everyone. I noticed this a few times recently when organizing our new garage. It is definitely quite loud for a car to start doing this randomly when you don’t expect it. Based off the information presented from the owners manual, I’m not going to worry about it.

·
Administrator
11,121 Posts
Yeah, it's an odd sound to hear. So is the occasional clunk it makes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2020 Forester and just noticed this noise. I'm living in NE Wisconsin and because of the weather lately (5 to -10), I (a smoker) have been going out in the garage to partake. I get home from work at 10:15pm and the last 2 nights, I've noticed this sound around 3-4 am. The first night I am pretty sure I didn't notice it before then. I thought I corrected it by opening and closing the back gate. Tonight (the 2nd night) I just noticed it and turned the ignition to on and it went away. I googled and found this thread. I'm grateful for you guys helping me understand what it was. The first night I was literally unplugging the garage door, walking around the car, bringing out my phone and recording, all the things that people here were doing. Thanks again for this thread.

·
Administrator
11,121 Posts
I happened to be right under mine when it did it once. It was scary as hell, when you're under the car, and suddenly it makes a big clunk, and you're waiting for a jack stand and floor jack to collapse, thinking it's one of them that's shifted and made the clunk. It was followed by the odd pump/vibration sound it makes, and I put two and two together. But, when you're under a car and you hear a loud sound like that from right near one of your jacks... 🤣😞😉

1 - 19 of 19 Posts