Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While out running errands recently, I hurriedly pressed the Car Start Button and before the engine had fully engaged, I shifted into Drive.

The car engine seemed to lock up with the electrical circuits on, but without the engine actually running.

All dashboard Lights remained illuminated as if the car was on - including the Check Engine light as well as several other lights.

Repressing the Start button did nothing - I could not start the engine nor could I turn the car Off. Attempts to use the Remote Start via the STARLINK app resulted in an Error message stating the “Engine was already running”.

The only way I was able to correct the problem was with a “Hard Reset” - disconnecting the battery and then reconnecting it.

Lesson learned - do not shift out of Park until the engine is fully engaged.

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
While out running errands recently, I hurriedly pressed the Car Start Button and before the engine had fully engaged, I shifted into Drive.

The car engine seemed to lock up with the electrical circuits on, but without the engine actually running.

All dashboard Lights remained illuminated as if the car was on - including the Check Engine light as well as several other lights.

Repressing the Start button did nothing - I could not start the engine nor could I turn the car Off. Attempts to use the Remote Start via the STARLINK app resulted in an Error message stating the “Engine was already running”.

The only way I was able to correct the problem was with a “Hard Reset” - disconnecting the battery and then reconnecting it.

Lesson learned - do not shift out of Park until the engine is fully engaged.
Were you not able to shift back into Park and then try and restart the engine?

Reactions: Carrsbrookmom1

·
Registered
978 Posts
This is easy to do with push button starting. I’ve done this in our Ford plugin hybrid also a few times. The Ford won’t do anything till you place it back in park, press the brake pedal and the Start button again. It won’t respond unless your holding the brake down.

I assume you tried that?

·
Registered
357 Posts
I had some what of the same problem in MY11 Outback if you switched into drive and released the parking brake simultaneously it would lock the parking brake in, the only way to correct this on the outback was to turn everything off and lock and unlock the car about 5 times in a row, something about this will reset the computer.

Reactions: Carrsbrookmom1

·
Registered
567 Posts
I did the same thing with my Outback last year - only shifting into Reverse to exit garage. I thought the battery was near dead since the engine wouldn't start but lights were on. Called AAA, they came out jumped the battery - which he said afterwards that he thought was okay. Lesson learned.

·
Registered
287 Posts
This is a very common issue happens with people in hurry. It happened few times on my VW too.
All I have to do is, brake, put it back in to the park and start again and it should work. Not sure how Subaru will handle in this situation.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is easy to do with push button starting. I’ve done this in our Ford plugin hybrid also a few times. The Ford won’t do anything till you place it back in park, press the brake pedal and the Start button again. It won’t respond unless your holding the brake down.

I assume you tried that?
Indeed - but to no avail.

·
Registered
3 Posts
How did you end up solving the problem?

This just happened to me today :(.

The car thought it was "on" but the engine was not running. All dash lights were on, the radio worked, windows could be rolled down, and heating/cooling system all worked. The dash kept saying to depress the brake. I could shift it into Neutral and Drive but kept getting errors on the dash to "put car in Park".

I tried walking away from the car but then it would beep because I moved the keyfob too far from it.

I ended up calling my husband to bring the spare keyfob since we thought the keyfob battery was dead. When I put the spare key in the car I was able the start the car normally.

Sorry this is my very first post and can't quote the original poster. Long time lurker. I've had my car since November 2018.

Attachments

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
(1) Press and hold the start button until the car resets

Or

(2) give it 5 minutes to figure it out on its own.

The Ascent takes a second to start to start, thus, one needs to keep their foot on the brake and the car in park until it's started, otherwise the above happens.

This just happened to me today /forum/images/smilies/frown.gif.

The car thought it was "on" but the engine was not running. All dash lights were on, the radio worked, windows could be rolled down, and heating/cooling system all worked. The dash kept saying to depress the brake. I could shift it into Neutral and Drive but kept getting errors on the dash to "put car in Park".

I tried walking away from the car but then it would beep because I moved the keyfob too far from it.

I ended up calling my husband to bring the spare keyfob since we thought the keyfob battery was dead. When I put the spare key in the car I was able the start the car normally.

Sorry this is my very first post and can't quote the original poster. Long time lurker. I've had my car since November 2018.

·
Registered
3 Posts
(1) Press and hold the start button until the car resets

Or

(2) give it 5 minutes to figure it out on its own.

The Ascent takes a second to start to start, thus, one needs to keep their foot on the brake and the car in park until it's started, otherwise the above happens.
Hello Robert,
Thanks for taking the time to respond to me! I've read so many of your post prior to getting my Ascent. I'll have to be more aware when starting the car and give it time.

This is my first Subaru, SUV, push button car, etc. I've driven a Honda for the last 20+ years :plain:.

Do you know how long I would typically need to hold the start button before it resets? I was stuck in this situation for about 20 minutes until my husband brought the extra key and then it automatically went back to normal.

Thanks again for the advise.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hello Robert,
Thanks for taking the time to respond to me! I've read so many of your post prior to getting my Ascent. I'll have to be more aware when starting the car and give it time.

This is my first Subaru, SUV, push button car, etc. I've driven a Honda for the last 20+ years :plain:.

Do you know how long I would typically need to hold the start button before it resets? I was stuck in this situation for about 20 minutes until my husband brought the extra key and then it automatically went back to normal.

I got the second option working for me, when I got this issue once. Even with this forums made me aware of this ahead, I got little bit nervous and tried many options , like putting back to park and pressing the start button( may be not enough longer). But nothing worked. I exited the car and pressed the lock button, but it didn't lock. I waited a minute or so and got inside and this time the start button responded. I believe you don't have to bring second fob and call AAA or anything like that.

And for your info Honda does that too. Especially on winter when it takes a bit for starting, this could happen. It happened to my Insight. Sometimes it locked the steering wheel and sometimes it was like it went to neutral with no break at all. But as soon as you put it back to park and it will reset all by itself.

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
Hello Robert,

I got the second option working for me, when I got this issue once. Even with this forums made me aware of this ahead, I got little bit nervous and tried many options , like putting back to park and pressing the start button( may be not enough longer). But nothing worked. I exited the car and pressed the lock button, but it didn't lock. I waited a minute or so and got inside and this time the start button responded. I believe you don't have to bring second fob and call AAA or anything like that.

And for your info Honda does that too. Especially on winter when it takes a bit for starting, this could happen. It happened to my Insight. Sometimes it locked the steering wheel and sometimes it was like it went to neutral with no break at all. But as soon as you put it back to park and it will reset all by itself.
I was told 10 seconds... but I suspect it's closer to 15, just like the head unit restart. But, I never had a chance to test it. By the time the support line told me what to do, I'd just passed the 5 minute mark and the car reset itself automatically). It didn't take them long to answer at all, but, by the time I decided to call in, it was very close to the 5 minute mark.

They told me either method would work, but I only tried the latter. If it happens again, or if I get around to causing the issue, I will try the first method and let you all know.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I've also heard removing the key fob from the car and "walking" out of range for a minute, and then walking back also helps reset the computer. This happened to a co-worker of mine on their commute, fortunately only one time. Their Ascent got "stuck" in limbo, and they walked out of the car to ask another person for help, and when they went back to the car, it was working again. It could have also been the "5 minute" timer you'd mentioned, just food for thought.

·
Registered
1 Posts

This just happened to me today :(.

This happened to us today. Jumped into the Ascent to move it into a more desirable parking spot (had mountain bikes on a hitch rack). Hit the start button, threw it into Drive and it started to move forward... But the engine wasn't on (It as on a slight downward grade). All the warning lights on the dash were on. Displays fully up. AC fan running etc. Center display requested to put it into Park. I did. Repeated pressing of the Start engine button would not do anything. It was in Park and my foot was on the brake. Pressed the Starlink button. Had to read them my VIN? Then I was put on hold for 20 min (no one ever came back online, - Called them later in the day and lodged a complaint and asked them to investigate the previous call). Called the dealership (we only have 2500+ miles on the Ascent) spoke to a Service guy. He never heard of the issue. Suggested I try starting it in Natural. It would not start. Opening the door had no effect. Lights were on and no one was home. Finally as the service guy and I were discussing "towing options" (about 15 into this ordeal) it shut off... All by itself. I put my foot on the brake again pressed the start button and it started. Lights, engine everything. Of course, the dealership wants us to bring it in. I'm going to test my theory this weekend. I believe that if you press start and shift it into Drive before the engine starts this situation may happen. It shouldn't in my opinion. I can imagine that your in some emergency, jump in the car, start and shift it into Drive "too soon" and now you're stuck for the next 15+ minutes until it decides to respond and shut down. If I can get it to repeat it on command I will take it to the dealership. I'll follow up here with what my testing reveals.

·
Super Moderator
2,463 Posts
I put my foot on the brake again pressed the start button and it started.
do you remember if you actually took your foot off the brake between attempts? it did something similar the first time i started it by myself (dealer had it running on delivery). i remember cycling thru acc-on-start a few times but nothing happened until i did that with my foot off the brake in park. i just chocked it up to user error and an embarrassing learning experience.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.