Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was in the middle of work and too busy but Stevens Creek Subaru in San Jose, CA called me to ask if I was interested in selling my Ascent and buying something else. I told them to email me details and they did have my email correct. I didn't buy it there but I get it serviced there. She said they have inventory issues and are trying to get people to sell back their vehicle in some cases for more than they bought it for. Mine is fully paid off and I have no interest in a new car right now but was curious if this is a real thing and if so is this nationwide or just a local thing?

·
Administrator
12,440 Posts
Yes, it's happening. In some areas, people have made a bit above what they've owed. In others, the offers have been pretty bad. And of course, there's a ton in between.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, it's happening. In some areas, people have made a bit above what they've owed. In others, the offers have been pretty bad. And of course, there's a ton in between.
Thanks. I am not looking to sell although I'm still waiting on the recall for the transmission so I am also wondering is it somehow connected to that they figure it's better to buy the car and try to sell you a new car? Weird.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Thanks. I am not looking to sell although I'm still waiting on the recall for the transmission so I am also wondering is it somehow connected to that they figure it's better to buy the car and try to sell you a new car? Weird.
Speaking in general, there's such a huge lack of available car inventory that whatever they get on the lot is guaranteed to sell almost immediately. If they get you to trade-in your vehicle for a new one it gives them an opportunity to sell 2 cars instead of just 1.

From what I understand most dealerships make their money from selling used vehicles not new ones, so they are hurting to make sales right now.

·
Registered
2022 Ascent Touring
59 Posts
Yep I was heading to test drive two different used 2021's when I saw the 22 available on Subaru's inventory search, and the prices were all within 1k of each other. So that made getting the new one much easier and lower cost on the loan.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited, 2015 WRX, 2022 OB Onyx
4,652 Posts
I'm on the other end of that. I am hoping to sell my 2019 Limited and buy a 2023 if the numbers work out.

·
Registered
30 Posts
We traded our 19 Touring in on a 22 Touring back in January. They told me at the time they would not sell it until the transmission related recall was complete, which at the time was thought to be May. I just saw it listed on the dealers website so they must have gotten it done but holding on to a vehicle for 7 months before trying to sell I would not think is a good thing, Just saying this as a heads up on trading in your 19. We took a couple of thousand ding on our trade but we felt it was worth it. Maybe the 2 grand was enough to give them a cushion for holding it. Some dealers may not care but I don't have a lot of options to shop around since there are only 2 dealers in our state. We just happened to be there at the right time as the one we bought had just come in the previous day and had not been prepped for sale. I knew finding one with just the right color and options might be a crap shoot.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts