Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went grocery shopping at night, I found that there is no light in the trunk.
IS THERE REALLY NO LIGHT IN THE TRUNK?!

·
Registered
313 Posts
It's also not very bright. There is a lift gate light that you can install that people seem to like. https://www.ascentforums.com/forum/155-diy-how/3429-lift-gate-led-add-light-install-help.html (there are other posts about it if you do a search)
Thinking about getting one as well down the road.
Agreed, I swapped it out with my other stock lights for LED, "natural" color as opposed to cool or warm, and that helps as it is somewhat brighter as well. I've thought about the liftgate light, but that may be later on.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Agreed, I swapped it out with my other stock lights for LED, "natural" color as opposed to cool or warm, and that helps as it is somewhat brighter as well. I've thought about the liftgate light, but that may be later on.
@norway - I actually just placed an order for the light. Boredom at work + Friday = impulse buys. :grin: From the photos that stillmotion posted, it looked like it made a huge difference. I'm hoping that is true, because visibility is just so bad back there. Either that or my eyes are starting to fail on me hahaha

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
Please tell me where! Please!

Wait, you found the right bulbs in something between cool and warm? Oooooh, please tell me where! I hate the cool bulbs in my otherwise warm Java Brown interior. Looks harsh. I really want warm, but I would happily "settle" for something inbetween the car's ultra warm bulbs and the normal cool white/blue LEDs that saturate the market.

·
Registered
275 Posts
@norway - I actually just placed an order for the light. Boredom at work + Friday = impulse buys. :grin: From the photos that stillmotion posted, it looked like it made a huge difference. I'm hoping that is true, because visibility is just so bad back there. Either that or my eyes are starting to fail on me hahaha

I still haven't figured out / or attempted to force take off the bottom portion of the lift gate trim so if you figure out how to do that, please report back to this forum or this thread Thanks and good luck!

·
Registered
494 Posts
I still haven't figured out / or attempted to force take off the bottom portion of the lift gate trim so if you figure out how to do that, please report back to this forum or this thread Thanks and good luck!

Seems like @Stillmotion may be our best bet in finding out how it's removed. maybe he can ask the folks who installed it for him.. *hint hint nudge nudge* :grin:

Just got an email from subispeed that it's backordered at the moment but will probably spend some time trying to remove the trim. I'll report back for sure if I find anything.

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
Seems like @Stillmotion may be our best bet in finding out how it's removed. maybe he can ask the folks who installed it for him.. *hint hint nudge nudge* :grin:

Just got an email from subispeed that it's backordered at the moment but will probably spend some time trying to remove the trim. I'll report back for sure if I find anything.
I keep telling them to order more and that I will sell them all out (posted links and even a vid all over Facebook - and then there's all of you)... alas, maybe this time, they believe me.

·
Registered
275 Posts

I was thinking the same thing re: Stillmotion, I wonder if we can get in contact with the company he used to install that light to remember how to open that trim in the lift gate...

·
Premium Member
565 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Wait, you found the right bulbs in something between cool and warm? Oooooh, please tell me where! I hate the cool bulbs in my otherwise warm Java Brown interior. Looks harsh. I really want warm, but I would happily "settle" for something inbetween the car's ultra warm bulbs and the normal cool white/blue LEDs that saturate the market.
As FoRealz said, that is what I got too, I replaced the 7 interior lights (front map, middle reading, rear reading and cargo) with these from SuperBrightLEDS.com: 194-NWHP5
https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...-tower-miniature-wedge-retrofit-car/206/6774/

I tend to like closer to "natural"/4000k in a car vs. too cool or warm.

I'm planning on getting more of those for the door puddle lights as I like how they look on the interior, and then possibly these for the vanity: F30-WHP-12V
https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...d-vehicle-vanity-fuse-lamp-30mm-car/243/1162/

The problem is those vanity festoons are very "cool", so haven't bought them yet as I still look for something more natural.

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
@norway and @FoRealz - thanks!!! My order is going in this week for the very warm ones to maintain color but decrease power consumption.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Even though I advocated for vleds.com (most $$$) in another thread, I ended up with warm white LEDs from ebay for the dome lights. They are brighter than stock, but not blinding. I still have vleds in the outside positions (door lights, license plate, reverse) becasue I like 5000K specifically in those locations.

Warm white three dolla make you holla.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=162867318198&_sacat=0

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
800 Posts
I really like the LEDs. How difficult is it to install the Led bulbs? Do you just pry off the lens? Don't want to bust it.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I don’t mind pulling on panels but I have been super busy with work lately. As soon as I am able I will update this thread. Sorry for the lack of availability lately.

·
Registered
275 Posts

I don’t mind pulling on panels but I have been super busy with work lately. As soon as I am able I will update this thread. Sorry for the lack of availability lately.
Update: I managed to finally remove the bottom panel of the door. It is indeed held by 2 screws hidden under the handle on the right half. You have to pry the cover off the handle to reveal the screws. I followed the youtube forester video. Another difference is obviously you are going to wire up the left side rather than the right side. Unlike the forester, there are 3 screws to remove for that left panel that holds the existing trunk light. One is under the hook. One is hidden under a very small circular flush panel. The 3rd is visible. Other than that rest of the video applies to the Ascent. I did hit a snag at the end. The light did not turn on. The trunk light turns on but the new lift gate light does not turn on. I don't know what I did wrong. The reviews mention a 2 amp fuse that seems to be a common issue. I don't understand where this 2 amp fuse is in relation to this kit. I don't see it.

Reactions: scooby
1 - 20 of 35 Posts