Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's a button on my radio screen below the FM and AM buttons. Can I remove this somehow? I'd like all trace of Sirrius gone from my vehicle. There's also an app with their name on it installed and I cannot see a way to remove it. Does anyone know if the black shark-fin can be removed without impacting other vehicle features like remote-start via the app (which uses some sort of satellite signal)?

·
Registered
918 Posts
It's built into the head unit. If you don't have a subscription, it won't be used.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
800 Posts
For the button, black electrical, gaffer, or Gorilla tape.

Why so much hate for Sirrius.

Reactions: justmatt

·
Registered
148 Posts
I too would love to get rid of all the Sirrius BS, it's like a constant advertisement you can't get rid of. Plus the fact that they won't stop pestering me to subscribe makes many of us "hate."

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,853 Posts
I doubt it can be "removed" and there are some vehicles features that use it behind the scenes.

·
Registered
146 Posts
SiriusXM has basically paid their way onto the platform. I'm only guessing, but I'd wager they pay big bucks to Harmon (and others) to integrate their service into their automobile platforms, more or less underwriting the cost of software and hardware integration into head units.

I'm gonna guess that some portion of this is via in-kind services for certain types of car maker-specific data and generic data like weather information that helps underwrite the physical costs of including the rooftop antenna and other hardware necessary for the platform to operate. It's a cheap way to broadcast maybe a small software patch or some other binary data to every car.

It's probably a lot like the pre-installed software on a smart TV that has Netflix, Hulu and Amazon baked into the TV firmware.

My question is how long SiriusXM can stay on this platform given the competition from cellular networks that would like a similar preferred placement in cars and can provide similar data services. Sirius has the edge in that they can reach vehicles in areas poorly served by cellular coverage, but this is IMHO a declining advantage given the general growth and good coverage of high speed cellular networks. I'd wager carmaker inertia and the fact that Sirius is basically a streaming audio service that could be provided over a data network means they will probably be on infotainment systems for a long time, even if carmakers stop mounting satellite antennas or make them an option.

My other question is "What is the conversion rate for SiriusXM on new vehicle purchases?" How many people end up subscribing when they buy a new car? I've never been a subscriber, and I really only found one channel to be compelling enough to actually listen to when it was free, but I wouldn't pay for it out of pocket. Given how easy it is to use streaming audio services from your phone in you car, I have to believe the uptake is pretty low other than for a small-ish number of people who spend a lot of time driving in very rural areas.

·
Super Moderator
3,853 Posts
Keep in mind that SiriusXM isn't just an "entertainment" source...they are also providing traffic and other travel information. Even the Weather on the multi-function display on the Ascent comes from them. For some brands, they are also involved in remote vehicle services such as starting, location and other things. They are for the most part the "only" sat service currently available for North America which is why the service is so ubiquitous in current generation vehicle systems.

Again, I doubt there is any way to eliminate the service from the vehicle system...it's too integrated.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
800 Posts
My wife enjoys the Christian station on SiriusXM so we keep the basic subscription plan on her car which is about $10 a month. During our 3 month Winter trip out west this year I extended the 4 month SiriusXM trial that came with the Accent because it's just easier to use for us than anything else when traveling.

When we got back home in March, I called SiriusXM to cancel the Accent subscription and had the worst customer service experience of my life and I'm a Comcast customer!

Their regular customer service Dept can't cancel a subscription so I was switched over to Sales who must get penalized if they let someone cancel because this person wouldn't take no for an answer. She actually signed me up for a 2 car plan instead of cancelling. It was a terrible experience and I now have no respect for SiriusXM.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I find the shark fin to be a big drawback for the vehicle. It isn't color matched and will likely get in the way of some roof uses or have to be worked around to be sure it doesn't get damaged. I hope they stop putting them on automatically in the future. If I had been asked I would have rather not had it installed, even if it meant losing out on features. I don't need weather or traffic in my car, and I don't use the built-in navigation. I'll use my smartphone for that and it will always be more up to date than my vehicle after the first few years (I replace vehicles every 14-15 years, phones every 3 or so). I definitely have zero use for satellite radio. The world is now an on-demand world. When I want news I don't want to jump in halfway through a broadcast. I want to start my report at the beginning. Same for songs or audiobooks, etc. So it makes more sense for me to use my phone for these things and just play it through my vehicle for the bigger speakers. The only reason I don't consider the big screen in the vehicle a giant waste is because it can display my google maps from my phone in a bigger format. Otherwise there's nothing about the giant screen that is necessary or useful for me and surely it'll be outdated feeling pretty quickly.

And then there's the whole issue with Sirius. They are an awful company to deal with in every way I can see. Their product sucks. It is overpriced. The licensing per-vehicle nonsense is stupid. The channels I previewed were so full of commercials that I couldn't enjoy them. Why would I pay for a service and then listen to commercials? They must get info from Subaru when you buy a car because boy-howdy did they start spamming my phone with calls and filling my mailbox with garbage. I asked on the phone repeatedly for them to stop calling. At least a dozen times. I got on their website and had to make a freaking account to ask them to stop contacting me. So.... they started spamming my email, too. I finally sent them a letter stating that any further contact would constitute harassment and blissfully they stopped.

The experience I had with Sirius has made me add a new priority to my future vehicle shopping plans. I will not purchase another vehicle if it has anything pre-installed from Sirius, and I will get, in writing, from the dealer that they will not share my information with any other company, particularly Sirius. I've already let Subaru know that while I love my Ascent, the harassment from Sirius has made my enjoyment of my new, very expensive vehicle take on a sour note. I have a 14 year old minivan that could probably last another few years, but that I would consider replacing starting some time next year. I'll have to be more careful if/when we go vehicle shopping this time.

Anyway, it seems like I'm stuck with the fin and the ad-buttons for the time-being.

·
Administrator
10,954 Posts
I find the shark fin to be a big drawback for the vehicle. It isn't color matched and will likely get in the way of some roof uses or have to be worked around to be sure it doesn't get damaged.
Good news is, it's lower than any roof rail designed for the Ascent, by a decent amount.

If I had been asked I would have rather not had it installed, even if it meant losing out on features. I don't need weather or traffic in my car, and I don't use the built-in navigation.
It's more than just GPS, but also for the telematics system.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Anyway, the sound quality of Sirius XM and the prohibitive pricing vs Spotify, Apple and Google are absolute deal breakers. The sound quality is not on par and the ultra compressed sound make music sound like out of a tin can
Exactly. I am keeping the subscription on reduced price $7/month only because of that. I rate the quality as CD>XM>FM>App based music services

·
Registered
240 Posts
My wife enjoys the Christian station on SiriusXM so we keep the basic subscription plan on her car which is about $10 a month.
If you're paying $10/month, you are paying too much.

Call them... tell them you want to cancel. They will offer you a deal. Politely decline until they get you down to about $32-$35 for 6 months. Thats the best deal you will get.

Save yourself some cash. Enjoy.

·
Super Moderator
3,853 Posts
I find the shark fin to be a big drawback for the vehicle. It isn't color matched and will likely get in the way of some roof uses or have to be worked around to be sure it doesn't get damaged. I hope they stop putting them on automatically in the future.
The "Sharkfin" antenna on vehicles is generally for all of the communications antenna requirements, not just for sat services. It's preferable to previous antenna types because it's less subject to damage which is why most vehicles have moved to them or will move to them.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
98 Posts
Anyway, the sound quality of Sirius XM and the prohibitive pricing vs Spotify, Apple and Google are absolute deal breakers. The sound quality is not on par and the ultra compressed sound make music sound like out of a tin can
I found the sound quality on Sirius to be better than regular FM on my Touring with the Harmon sound system. I like to listen to some genres of music rather loud and the Sirius/Harmon combination really delivers, probably because the digital signal has sirius :p bass that rocks the car. That said, I let the subscription lapse after the free trial. The one station that I really enjoyed (and miss) was Broadway Musicals. Most of the others seemed to have the exact same playlist almost every day and that got old fast.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
If you're paying $10/month, you are paying too much.

Call them... tell them you want to cancel. They will offer you a deal. Politely decline until they get you down to about $32-$35 for 6 months. Thats the best deal you will get.

Save yourself some cash. Enjoy.
$5/month is about the best offer you can get. Never give them your credit card number. Instead you can go to Best Buy and purchase a Sirius/XM gift card and use that for the payment. That way they cannot automatically renew your account when it comes time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
There's a button on my radio screen below the FM and AM buttons. Can I remove this somehow? I'd like all trace of Sirrius gone from my vehicle. There's also an app with their name on it installed and I cannot see a way to remove it. Does anyone know if the black shark-fin can be removed without impacting other vehicle features like remote-start via the app (which uses some sort of satellite signal)?
Go to radio, select sxm, select direct tune, select zero, then tune. Boom more ads. Just figured it out!!!!

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,111 Posts
$5/month is about the best offer you can get. Never give them your credit card number. Instead you can go to Best Buy and purchase a Sirius/XM gift card and use that for the payment. That way they cannot automatically renew your account when it comes time.
When I extended the promo, I gave Sirius a credit card that expired sooner than my extension. They send emails every month asking me for a new unexpired card but I ignore them. If I choose to extend, I'll get a gift card, if I don't extend, they can't get any more money on the expired card.

BTW, I use the Sirius account on my streaming devices at home. If it weren't for the value of having background music or news all day I wouldn't have extended.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts