Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The first thing I'm going to do when my Ascent arrives is have the windows tinted. Should I also have the moonroof tinted? Is it already tinted?

·
Registered
492 Posts
Where? At a shop or at the dealer? Don’t know about the moonroof, although I would guess it’ll be the same tint as the other windows (2nd row and back).

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Where? At a shop or at the dealer? Don’t know about the moonroof, although I would guess it’ll be the same tint as the other windows (2nd row and back).
I'm planning to take it to a shop to have the back and side windows tinted. I was curious if the moonroof comes factory tinted, and whether or not anyone was planning to have a shop tint the moonroof.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You shouldn't tint the moonroof. It reflects the sun back into the glass and makes it super brittle when hot. One kicked up rock and there goes your moonroof. Many tinting places will refuse to do it for this reason, specifically on large moonroofs.

·
Administrator
10,411 Posts
I'm planning to take it to a shop to have the back and side windows tinted. I was curious if the moonroof comes factory tinted, and whether or not anyone was planning to have a shop tint the moonroof.
You shouldn't tint the moonroof. It reflects the sun back into the glass and makes it super brittle when hot. One kicked up rock and there goes your moonroof. Many tinting places will refuse to do it for this reason, specifically on large moonroofs.
Besides the negative effects of tinting an upwards facing piece of glass, I can't recall if it was tinted, but, on a very warm (near hot at 82°) with the shade fully retracted, driving in what amounted to a big circle (during the test drive), I found neither heat nor excessive light came in. YMMV.

It *seemed* tinted for the amount of light that was cut.

As for the side windows, all windows rearward of the first row are tinted (2nd, 3rd, rear quarter, and rear glass). Dunno if that's enough for your taste, but I do know it's very near or at the legal limit for NYS and I believe a couple other states.

EDIT: The base does not get the "dark tinted privacy glass" - all other trims do though. So, dunno if that changes things for you (eg: you're getting the base trim).

https://article.images.consumerrepo...ars-Inline-2019-Subaru-Ascent-gray-ATC-r-5-18

·
Administrator
10,411 Posts
This is a pre-production vehicle, so, something may have changed (though I expect this is similar to what we'll see)... but it shows it's tinted. I only took a good look at it in direct sunlight from the inside and didn't notice (the car is tall enough that I'd have to stand on the door sill and grab the roof rails to see the top well enough - didn't think they'd be happy with me doing that).

https://cnet1.cbsistatic.com/img/TU...dc0-653c5fd3a584/subaru-ascent-2019-00898.jpg

·
Registered
191 Posts
Pre-production from the Denver auto show - just assuming the production tint will be similar.

Attachments

·
Registered
292 Posts
For those in the know (Carl/Jason/Robert/others):

What are the details of the tints for the rear windows and pano roof? What % of sun does it let in and what % of heat does it let in? I think I remember reading in another thread that the rear windows and pano roof are "dipped" tinted, but haven't found any more details.

I'm already planning on tinting the windshield and two front doors with ceramic tints, and wondering if I should do the same with the rear windows for the purposes of blocking out heat.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
18 Posts
If it’s anything like an Outback/Legacy Limited or Touring the moonroof will have a tint from the factory. I’d guess it’s maybe a 20% tint or so and equal with the back windows which are also right around there.

I usually tint the front two windows to match, and on our Legacy’s and Outbacks it’s meant a 20% tint (which is technically illegal in Colorado, but I’ve never been stopped..)

·
Registered
292 Posts
If it’s anything like an Outback/Legacy Limited or Touring the moonroof will have a tint from the factory. I’d guess it’s maybe a 20% tint or so and equal with the back windows which are also right around there.

I usually tint the front two windows to match, and on our Legacy’s and Outbacks it’s meant a 20% tint (which is technically illegal in Colorado, but I’ve never been stopped..)
20% is really dark - are you sure about that? The two Ascents I saw in person (one just to check out and another to test drive) seemed to have tints in the 30-40% range based on my naked eye.

·
Administrator
10,411 Posts
20% is really dark - are you sure about that? The two Ascents I saw in person (one just to check out and another to test drive) seemed to have tints in the 30-40% range based on my naked eye.
Subaru people have told others that the tint is 20% or 30%. Subaru privacy glass (2014-2018) has been measured by others (tint shops) at 28-30%. Various laws in various jurisdictions allow for a two percent margin of error, so I'd presume that "rounding" all of those to 30% wouldn't be unreasonable.

·
Registered
965 Posts
For those in the know (Carl/Jason/Robert/others):

What are the details of the tints for the rear windows and pano roof? What % of sun does it let in and what % of heat does it let in? I think I remember reading in another thread that the rear windows and pano roof are "dipped" tinted, but haven't found any more details.

I'm already planning on tinting the windshield and two front doors with ceramic tints, and wondering if I should do the same with the rear windows for the purposes of blocking out heat.

Thoughts?
The rear windows and sunroof are made of privacy glass - NOT tinted. In other words, when they melt the glass, it's colored glass in the first place, not clear.

And this is an Eyesight car - you cannot tint the windshield.

·
Registered
292 Posts
The rear windows and sunroof are made of privacy glass - NOT tinted. In other words, when they melt the glass, it's colored glass in the first place, not clear.

Are you saying it's impossible (or at least really difficult) to tint the windshield, or simply letting us know that it's illegal? I've tinted the windshield (~70%) for all the cars I've owned, primarily to block out heat.

·
Registered
553 Posts
My dealership said the rear windows were 30%. I asked because they are tinting my front windows at the dealership as part of our "negotiations". We had a "gap" and that's how they handled the difference. I then asked if what they used was legal in all States. That's when he said the factory coating and theirs was 30%

·
Registered
292 Posts
My dealership said the rear windows were 30%. I asked because they are tinting my front windows at the dealership as part of our "negotiations". We had a "gap" and that's how they handled the difference. I then asked if what they used was legal in all States. That's when he said the factory coating and theirs was 30%
Interesting stuff - in California, we have restrictions that all tints have to be 70%+ for the front windows and windshield.

Can anyone confirm how much heat the factory tints block out? I'm hoping it's similar to ceramic tint numbers; this will save me $$$ so that I'd only have to tint the front.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Are you saying it's impossible (or at least really difficult) to tint the windshield, or simply letting us know that it's illegal? I've tinted the windshield (~70%) for all the cars I've owned, primarily to block out heat.

Pretty sure what Carl is saying with the Eyesight system it is not recommended to install anything in front the cameras or in the cameras view for the Eyesight system.

Snippet from the Eyesight Owners Manual

• Do not use any glass coating agents or similar substances on the wind-
shield. Doing so may interfere with the proper operation of the system.

• Do not install any film or an additional layer of glass on the windshield. The
system may not operate correctly.

Not saying you cant do it, its your car after all, but it sure isn't recommended. I don't think I want to take the chance that the system acts up due to installing tint on the front window....

·
Administrator
10,411 Posts
No front windshield tinting or coating, careful placement of EZ-Pass

I always forget to clarify that the tint in the windshield is not "tinting" in the aftermarket sense, but coloration in the glass that causes the "tint" (as named by law). Sorry. :sad:

Are you saying it's impossible (or at least really difficult) to tint the windshield...
Pretty sure what Carl is saying with the Eyesight system it is not recommended to install anything in front the cameras or in the cameras view for the Eyesight system.

Snippet from the Eyesight Owners Manual
• Do not use any glass coating agents or similar substances on the wind- H
shield. Doing so may interfere with the proper operation of the system.
• Do not install any film or an additional layer of glass on the windshield. The
system may not operate correctly.

Not saying you cant do it, its your car after all, but it sure isn't recommended. I don't think I want to take the chance that the system acts up due to installing tint on the front window....

The Eyesight system sees the windshield beyond the area that it's pointed at, including parts of the dashboard. Here's an image from the Ascent Eyesight Manual. EZ-Passes, stickers, hanging tags, air fresheners, etc should be installed outside of the grey area by a decent margin/distance. Regardless of local laws, tint (ceramic coatings, and anything else) should not be applied AT ALL to the front windshield, unless you plan on doing two small strips on the left and right side, and leaving that massive swath of the middle of the windshield untinted.

You'll find this on page 10 of the Ascent Eyesight manual, pub MSA5M1926A.

Hope that helps - sorry it's not good news.

REMEMBER:
People reporting not having problems does not mean that their Eyesight system has not been impaired. It's not like they tested every situation to see how it performs at dusk, in light rain, at night, with certain color cars, with the sun hitting from a certain angle, etc. It just means that they system didn't complain, or, in the limited circumstances they needed it, it seemed to work.

Attachments

·
Registered
292 Posts
Thanks for the additional info, Robert. This is kind of disheartening because I really dislike driving with the sun beaming down on me, and it puts 'wear' on the dashboard more quickly. This is the first time I'm having negative feelings toward the Eyesight! <shakes angry fist>

·
Registered
115 Posts
Thanks for the additional info, Robert. This is kind of disheartening because I really dislike driving with the sun beaming down on me, and it puts 'wear' on the dashboard more quickly. This is the first time I'm having negative feelings toward the Eyesight! <shakes angry fist>
Get your dash coated in a good ceramic protector and it should be fine. My 11 year old Chrysler dash looks like new thanks to good products.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts