Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I tried to use vip program (learned on this forum, joined, and hope to get 2% below invoice) and tried to get a vip price on a touring ascent at a dealership ( they said they participate) using the invoice price the dealer provided and it is $663 above the invoice price I calculated (using port prices which are higher). Then there is a $369 “document” fee. The overage on the invoice and the doc fee eat up the 2% below invoice part?

After using online resources with invoice pricing for zip code area, are the numbers usually good?

I didn’t see the invoice yet, but can or do dealers just make these up to suite their “prices “?

The dealer would not talk trade value unless we had a “firm deal” (I’ve never traded in a car with a purchase but understand I have to nail that price first) Another Subaru dealer I went to the same day told me what my trade was worth before we spoke about the new car. Should I avoid those who don’t tell trade value before talking new car?

I’m in the nyc area anyone recommend a dealer they used who honored the vip program with no games?
Thanks in advance
Andrewv

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
KBB, NADA, and Edmunds all give accurate invoice pricing in Texas. Some dealers do play games or you may have missed an option or a dealer added something.

Things may be different where you are at but if I was trading in a car I would get a Carmax offer before I go to the dealer. Dealers around here will at least match that and if not go back to Carmax and sell it.

·
Banned
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello
I have a place that is giving the same numbers I get using nada at 2% off invoice. So sales price is 42,301 it doesn’t have every accessory I want, but I can easily add them if they can’t do the vip pricing on them. They are specifically excluded from the program on the certificate, sothat is up in the air.
The deal depends on how they value the trade in so I’m going to go to car max as someone said to do.
Andrew

·
Registered
764 Posts
Ask them to see the exact invoice. You are located in the region controlled by SNE (Subaru New England - CT, MA, ME, NH, NJ, NY, RI, VT) They set their own invoice prices, but every dealership in your region will have the same invoice price. Edmunds, NADA, KBB, etc may have different invoice prices. Chances are the invoice prices they will pull are based on the rest of nation, not SNE.

·
Registered
932 Posts
KBB, NADA, and Edmunds all give accurate invoice pricing in Texas. Some dealers do play games or you may have missed an option or a dealer added something.

Things may be different where you are at but if I was trading in a car I would get a Carmax offer before I go to the dealer. Dealers around here will at least match that and if not go back to Carmax and sell it.
In NJ, you can deduct the trade in value from your new sales amount.

For example, if your new car is 40,000, and your trade is 10,000, you'll only pay tax on the 30,000 difference. That adds up to about $660. Not a huge amount, but combine that in with the time/tolls it takes you to go to a CarMax (not one within 2 hours of me here in northern NJ), it might be worth it to just trade since it's easier.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
What I was suggesting is to go to a Carmax to get a quote. Where I live their quote is good for 30 days. Then go to the dealer and see what they offer for trade in. If the dealer tries to go low then you show them the Carmax quote and most dealers will match. Some dealers will do what they call an in and out. That is you sell it to Carmax through the dealer and the dealer turns it over to Carmax but the dealer treats it as a trade in and uses the Carmax quote to deduct from the new car value for calculating taxes. Again this might just be in my state so you have to check.

·
Banned
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the help I’m going to get the car max- which is down the street from the dealer which quotes the car exact figures that nada had, plus 2% off- except for a doc fee added on.
Plus the tax savings will be substantial.

·
Banned
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well they will only give me 500 less than car max I’d walk on the deal but I’m married ( she is emotional about these things I say get a better deal ) so I’m getting ripped off by a low life car dealer- as I alway expect.

·
Administrator
11,121 Posts
Inaccuracies, SNE, and SDC...

Ask them to see the exact invoice. You are located in the region controlled by SNE (Subaru New England - CT, MA, ME, NH, NJ, NY, RI, VT) They set their own invoice prices, but every dealership in your region will have the same invoice price. Edmunds, NADA, KBB, etc may have different invoice prices. Chances are the invoice prices they will pull are based on the rest of nation, not SNE.
Besides what Jason wrote above (one correction below), those sites are NOT always accurate, and we've already pointed out numerous discrepancies in pricing of trims, packages and accessories.

As for the regions, it's:
  • SNE: CT, MA, NH, RI, VT
  • SDC: NY, NJ

But the same applies to either of those two regions. Regardless, while those companies (NADA, Edmunds, KBB, etc) strive for accuracy, they're not always there. So, as @Jason said: Ask them to see the exact invoice.

·
Banned
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
No I’m sorry for the confusion I was responding to the person who suggested going to car max to get est. for trade it was 15000, they will only give me 14500 not right to me they can drive it down the street and get 15000!
The invoice price was to the penny but the 500 blows the whole sales process to me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts