Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered my Touring Ascent on September 8. I got a call a couple of weeks ago informing me that my vehicle is scheduled to be in on October 9 (actually a couple of weeks sooner than I was originally told to expect). I sold my truck on September 6 since I could get more than the trade-in value. October 9, came and the dealer said the expected date moved to October 15 (today). Well, still no vehicle and my dealer has no idea when my Ascent will arrive. I understand delays and the various reasons for them on a new production line.

My problem lies in the fact that there doesn't seem to be any form of communication between factory, delivery, and the dealer. In other words, even though my Ascent didn't come in today, my dealer has no idea when it will arrive and has no idea where it is in the delivery process. I have a vin # and attempted to find my Ascent on the Cassens Transport site, but it didn't recognize my #.

I can order a $10 book from Amazon and track every stage of its delivery, but for some reason my dealer can't track a $45,000 vehicle. Given the computerization of all facets of manufacturing and transportation, I find it hard to believe Ascents are out there somewhere in the environment and nobody seems to know exactly where. My dealer just waits from day to day hoping something will show up. Have others had the same experience, or is my dealer just lame?

·
Registered
61 Posts
i had the same experience. i was told they have no idea the exact day, or where it is. i got the impression that they have trucks come in and dont know which car is on the delivery truck until it arrives. i was told that it would be any day now a few days before they called and said it arrived.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i had the same experience. i was told they have no idea the exact day, or where it is. i got the impression that they have trucks come in and dont know which car is on the delivery truck until it arrives. i was told that it would be any day now a few days before they called and said it arrived.
Thanks for the reply. I don't have a very good impression of how SOA and its dealers manage certain aspects of their business.

·
Registered
646 Posts
There is lots to improve on when it comes to the order process from Subaru. Like you said a $1.00 item from Amazon can notify you when it's 5 stops away but you can't even get a ballpark figure from SOA on a $45,000 vehicle.

It will come though.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I went thru the same process with a factory-ordered Chrysler many years ago. I dont think this is unique to Subaru. At least in my experience, it seems like a general automotive industry problem.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, as it turns out, my Ascent did come in on the 15th, just during the night (last night). I just got a call from my salesman stating they are prepping the vehicle now and I can pick it up this afternoon. As is often the case, my concerns may have been a bit premature. However, although I'm happy my Ascent is finally in, I still think it's kind of weird that delivery tracking is a bit lacking.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Certain areas of the country have different distribution networks. For example, the northeastern US has a different set of rules and tracking things. It's all with the distribution, which I am not familiar enough to elaborate on.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I’ve been around the block a few times on this subject, so I do think that the excitement and anticipation for the Ascent is up a notch or two from other cars. I would compare it to expectant parents when the doc announces a due date. Only three of the new cars we’ve purchased were ordered from the factory. The first was a 1984 Dodge Caravan that from day one had us talking to lawyers. That was a classic example of why not to buy a new model. The 2014 Subaru Forester was maybe not as radical an introduction, but 5 1/2 years later the experience was completely the opposite. If the Ascent lives up to the expectation set by precedence: icing on the cake.

·
Registered
583 Posts
There are a couple links to a really good article about Subaru logistics on the forum someplace....Some of the problem is trucking companies not recording deliveries/receipt of cars and then getting shipped out....without being recorded.....If those details are not properly recorded the car can be in limbo land....That is out of Subaru’s control....Maybe It should be in their control.....Also Subaru will contract with other than the normally used auto transport companies when demand gets heavy....These companies are not linked into Subaru and there can be lags/gaps in reporting....I think Cassens is more the exception.....
If a head of lettuce from a field in Arizona can be tracked (blockchain) to a store in New York to someone’s table, surely they can track a car....they just need to want to do it...Ten years from now that is just the way it will be....for probably everything.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.