Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as I've posted on another thread, we are planning a road trip for the winter and we may have 8 passengers with us which presents a problem for my 7 seater Touring. Considering that the rental for a Suburban or van for the length of the trip will be anywhere between 1200 and 1500 I thought to myself...maybe i can buy a second row bench for less? Doesn't have to be leather, just need the 3 seats in the second row to fit all 8. I can use it for the trip and then swap back when i return???
Any thoughts from those who have been around these cars a bit longer???

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

So i saw the post above...the seats can be taken out...the question would then be if the bolt pattern is the same for the 8 passenger configuration?

·
Registered
985 Posts
...and what about the seat/shoulder belts, particularly for the center 2nd row passenger? The third row center shoulder belt is in the ceiling.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I don't know if they fit, but the center seat on the 8 is pretty small. When we bought our 7 ( a 2019) the Subaru site showed passengers in all the seats except the center and that had a dog! I just checked-they have the same image. The seat belt point is a very good one. Good luck!

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
322 Posts
How long is the trip with 8 passengers going to be? You might need a roof box or trailer for luggage. I view the Ascent (mine's 7 seat) as a 4 seater with great cargo capacity of a 7 seater for short hops.

·
Registered
29 Posts
We took a 4 hour trip to a family gathering on Thanksgiving last year in our 7 seater. We had 4 adults, a three year old in a kid seat and a 6 month old in a kid seat. We were comfortable except some adults didn't like the third row (and we are not a tall family). We used a roof carrier of the bag style and so had plenty of room for the luggage.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How long is the trip with 8 passengers going to be? You might need a roof box or trailer for luggage. I view the Ascent (mine's 7 seat) as a 4 seater with great cargo capacity of a 7 seater for short hops.
I have a Yakima SkyBox 21...I love it. We've already done a few road trips with 7 (we have 6 kids, but the oldest doesn't live with us) and it has worked out great. The oldest may be coming with us on this trip which would necessitate the rental, or possible purchase of a 2nd row bench. Let's see!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a Yakima SkyBox 21...I love it. We've already done a few road trips with 7 (we have 6 kids, but the oldest doesn't live with us) and it has worked out great. The oldest may be coming with us on this trip which would necessitate the rental, or possible purchase of a 2nd row bench. Let's see!
Be careful of the weight limits, you may be closer than you think, especially if you are adding the bench in heavier than the two seats.

in I know we are larger people than most, but my family of 6 does not leave much weight for cargo box and other things. If we were to put 2 more adults in our vehicle, there is no way we would be under the weight limit.

·
Registered
23 Posts
As far as I understand seats mounting sliders points are the same. Belt for the middle passenger is attached to the driver side second row seat. All you have to worry about is where to get the seat from?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The dealer...although getting it from a recently wrecked vehicle would be MUCH cheaper. Mounting points was my primary concern. I have a few friends in the body shop business that can likely source it. I am going to try that route. Either that or find someone to swap with for the trip!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts