Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone else completely un-excited about their new Ascent? Or is it just me? I mean, it's a technological marvel, and I did just spend $33 grand on the thing...but I can't work up a shred of excitement about it. It's my wife's car for one thing, so I almost never even see the thing. It's very brown, for another thing. I'm not seeing any cinnamon or pearls in it...it's just brown. And at the heart of it...it's just a crossover, and one that looks like virtually ever other darn crossover on the road. It's just...blah. It's a tool for transportation. We can't really go off-roading in it...it's not super-fast, and doesn't handle super-good...It's a compromise like all crossovers.

Am I the only one feeling this? Am I about to get the crap flamed out of me?

·
Registered
418 Posts
Well, I don't know about flames, but I can say I'm pretty much the opposite of un-excited. If I had wanted sporty, I have owned a Mazda Miata and a Mustang GT I could have kept. Is the Big A as fast as the Mustang? Nope. Does it handle as well as the Miata? Not even close. However, it does handle better than the old Nissan Pathfinder I had, and is faster too. It also handles better and is quicker than my old XTerra, my even older F150, and blows my old Jeep away. Yet, the Big A still has the kinda space inside the Pathfinder and XTerra had, and far more than the Jeep (don't feel comparing the space with the F150 is fair). Why I'm excited is because the Big A represents potential. It's going to allow the family to travel together in far more comfort. My wife and I love to explore. We love road trips and travel in general... seeing new places. It's what we loved about the Crosstrek, and what we're looking forward to with the Ascent. The Big A has also given us the potential in the not-too-distant future to acquire another MX-5, since we now have a vehicle that can carry our family and stuff in one car, rather than having to take both vehicles sometimes. On top of all this, driving the Big A, for me, is very pleasantly surprising given it's size. I think it handles great for how big and heavy it is, and I honestly wouldn't want it any more powerful than it already is. No exaggeration, I got more speeding tickets in that dang Mustang than in all the other cars I've ever owned combined. I'm not sure my marriage can take any more speed :D

So yeah, the Big A excites me. I hope you can find a way to view her from her good side too. Rock on noodle.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Is anyone else completely un-excited about their new Ascent? Or is it just me? I mean, it's a technological marvel, and I did just spend $33 grand on the thing...but I can't work up a shred of excitement about it. It's my wife's car for one thing, so I almost never even see the thing. It's very brown, for another thing. I'm not seeing any cinnamon or pearls in it...it's just brown. And at the heart of it...it's just a crossover, and one that looks like virtually ever other darn crossover on the road. It's just...blah. It's a tool for transportation. We can't really go off-roading in it...it's not super-fast, and doesn't handle super-good...It's a compromise like all crossovers.

I think the feeling you got is called "mid-life crisis". Perhaps you should save up for couple of years and get a C8 w/ mid-engine. :grin::grin::grin:

·
Registered
978 Posts

LoL

I enjoyed my Legacy GT Limited 5spd non turbo fun car to drive not fast though. The switch to the outback yeah Totally nog feeling it except I drive it every day and not my Sequoia due to 14.5mpg vs 24mpg. That and the OB rides and parks better.

Unlike most dads I’m the kid transport and daily wake up go to bed parent. I’m waiting on the 2020 Ford Explorer and want to see the Bronco. Before replacing my OB and Sequoia with one ride.

Three main things are against the Ascent for me. #1 All our local dealers are especially lousy, #2 CVT I’ve had the OB 112,000 the cvt has negatives, #3 Subaru and Turbo engines have a spotty past.

The 318hp 3.3L Ford Hybrid Explorer is interesting I want to check it out probably a $50,000 rig though. Its only money right?

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Getting excited about anything is all about where your mindset is currently parked. For example, if you're yearning for a sports car, a mid-sized SUV certainly isn't going to ring your bell. However, if you're longing to hit the road for an extended camping expedition eager to find new discoveries and adventures, then an SUV is going to seem very exciting.

So don't be too hard on yourself, it's your wife's car after all. Find out what interests you and go for it.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Personally, my opinion is yes and no. Keep in mind that I am not an Ascent owner...let me explain my opinion and that all it is, an opinion.

My wife is on her 2nd Outback (2014 and 2017). In late 2013 my wife was driving a 2006 VW Passat which we got a GREAT deal on as a CPO. With the VW approaching 80K miles we started looking at vehicles figuring that what we new at the time we would purchase used in a couple of years. She had a Mazda previously so we had driven the CX5 since she wanted to go back to a "wagon" type vehicle - not having a wiper on the rear window bugged her, especially on MN snowy days. She drove a 2014 OB and really enjoyed it. Naturally they tried to close us hard that day and since I didn't expect to buy, I had not done my value research. They did the "what would it take to put you in this car" and I low balled them and held solid. They didn't take and it allowed us to walk away. After several back and forth, we bought it. My wife liked it but I really felt the interior was not on par with what I expected out of a new 2014. Well, a couple of years later a friend bought a '16 and noted all the differences. Took the 14 in for service and walked out with a new '17. Long story so far I know. In addition, because we have been so impressed by the AWD system, we bought our daughter a '09 Forester. Subaru seems to put some good quality and dependability in place. Keep in mind that they have never been a "flashy" company.

I drive a Ford Flex. On my 2nd one, really love the boxy look, the space is very functional...like a box. They haven't updated these much over their life and will be discontinued so I have been watching for my next replacement. I have been following this segment VERY close over the past couple of years. I was EXTREMELY excited when the Ascent came out. I actually was the 1st client to drive the 1st one dropped at our Subaru Dealership. We have had wonderful luck with this dealership (unlike the local Ford Store) both before, during and after the sale. They treat clients with the utmost patience and respect. They present options but do not shove them at you (again, unlike the Ford Store adding non-agreed things to the contract...read carefully) so naturally I wanted to give them my business. Plus the '17 OB has been wonderful, good interior quality, quieter and smoother than the '14. I am not overly patience and didn't want to wait for the upwards of 12 weeks to order one in and refused to pay MSRP which is where out dealer was on the Ascents, so I have sat back and waited. There are also a few small things about the Ascent (mainly 2nd row) that I am hoping may be changed/updated at some point. I also would prefer a vehicle with a 6001 or higher GVWR for tax deduction purposes and the Ascent is 6000 pounds. Because of all of this, I have continued watching the segment.

When the Ascent was released and hit showrooms back in May I believe that they were the top of the segment, aside from the Euro brands. The Ascent can be luxurious, is smooth, has quick and smooth acceleration (not as quick as my 3.5L EcoBoost V6:tango_face_wink:) is well featured, highly rated for safety and has Subaru's AWD. So at the time, especially for Subaru fans, there was a bunch to be excited about. This was the most advanced car they had built and it had some "sexy" features.

Well, not several months later there are a bunch of cars either entering this segment or are getting retooled. I think the Lincoln Aviator is SEXY, has some class and power, but you are getting into Audi, BMW, MB pricing as well, so not truly a fair comparison to the Ascent. Hyundai and Kia are now in the mix with some nice looking stuff, granted it is coming with old power plants. Ford Explores is getting a COMPLETE overhaul and going to a RWD bias (same platform as the Aviator). Sadly, in about a year from the release of the Ascent, it is becoming a mid-pack player in my opinion. It is more of a standard CUV look and doesn't have the appeal of the new releases. The Toyota Highlander will most likely have a new model out in the next year or so, since there have been sightings of test mules on the road. There is a bunch of competition out there.

The thing is that I believe Subaru knows their place in the market. They have built dependable cars with a great AWD system. They have not been known much for "flair" and have been a "small" auto manufacturer. I believe the Ascent is somewhat sticking with that mold, they know their clients well and I believe are hoping to bring in some new clients by dressing things up a bit, adding a few creature comforts and having a 3 row CUV which is arguably the most competitive automotive segment at this time.

To be honest, if I determine that I don't need the additional space, I am probably more likely to purchase a 2020/21 Outback than an Ascent...it all depends on what changes come with the refresh in a few years.

Long story short, I believe there are several reasons to be excited about the Ascent but with the newer releases from competition the excitement can easily shift to a different CUV.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My last car was a 2000 Xterra. It was a great 18.5 years but I wasn't going to put $3000+ into it. Naturally, the Ascent is light years ahead of what I had in every respect. And, you can't beat it for value. For me, getting so much value for a reasonable price, well, reasonable versus any other comparable vehicle, is very exciting!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all. To clarify...I think our Ascent is a good car, and the AWD and safety nannies have already saved my wife's bacon a number of times. If I didn't think it was a good vehicle we wouldn't have gotten it.

Also, sure I like sports cars, but I don't want it to be a sports car. I drive a 15 year old grandpa car...I like my 15 year old grandpa car. I'd replace that if I really feel the itch for a Mustang or a WRX or something.

As for hauling the family, every minivan we owned (four total) does a better job of carrying all six of us and our luggage in comfort. We absolutely gave up capacity to have the Ascent. I've always felt that the main reason for being of crossovers is "it's not a minivan." They're also not a car, and not really an SUV. Anyway, no crossover is as practical as a (ugh) minivan. Not saying we ever *wanted* to get a minivan...but we could never deny the practicality.

I'm just...unexcited. We have this brand new car...and I feel the same "blah" toward it as if we'd owned it for years. So, sounds like I'm not alone, but at least in the minority.

·
Registered
7 Posts
A very interesting thread...here are my two cents.

I can see many of Noodleman's points here. The Ascent is not a flashy, thought-provoking, better-than-all competitors offering. It's strengths are subtle. It is the safest, most reliable, highest resale value, three row SUV available today. Its boring. And its rare.

These are attributes, however, that should slowly deliver increasing satisfaction over thousands of miles of roads (hopefully some off-road) and years of pleasant memory generation. The Ascent excels when you are on your road-trip to wherever, taking you and your crew in sedate style and in great comfort - instead of being in the shop waiting for repairs, under warranty or not. More satisfaction will come when you successfully climb a snow-covered road, or navigate down and back up a muddy, clay-covered trail in Utah (see the related story on this site) safely. And the last payoff should come when you sell or trade the vehicle in and realize 15% to 30% higher value than most.

In short this vehicle can do almost anything well. It can haul 7 or 8 people to anywhere. It can pull my boat or your trailer with ease. It can take us to a remote trailhead or canoe launch or stadium tailgate. It can haul a dorm room full of furniture and clothing to/from college. It can carry 60 bags of mulch in the back, and also deliver it to a remote spot where you need it. It can cross small streams and scale mountains (its AWD system is one of the best). It can run 80 or 90 mph on the highway, comfortably, for hours, and get near 25 mpg while doing so. It has the space, ability, and comfort to go, do, and haul almost anything, anywhere.

Exciting? No.

Subtle and Satisfying? Heck yes.

The Ascent is my Swiss Army knife. It cannot do any one thing "the best", but it can do EVERYTHING pretty **** well. Subtle satisfaction...few/no sacrifices...it is the definition of the well-rounded student.

I am only on Day Five, but I can Feel The Love every time I fire up the engine and I go where I want, and do what I want.

Full Disclosure: I am in my 5th day of owning and driving my Ascent. I traded in a 2008 Mercedes E63 AMG w 507 hp. I have lived with immense power, speed, sacrifices and limitations for the past decade. Any hint of snow on the road? It stays in the garage. Raining? Let's take Mom's car. You have muddy shoes on? Find another ride. That drippy ice cream cone, eat it in Mom's car. Muddy tracks in the street or parking lot? Not crossing them. Have a game at the "far back ball field" w gravel road access? Better take Mom's car. Want to pull a trailer full of dirt bikes for the weekend? Better ask my buddy to drive. I have experienced the $1,000 "scheduled maintenance visit", and extended warranty company paying out over $14,000 in repairs over the years. I have put over 1,000 miles on loaner cars. I can go on, and on, and on. Those days are OVER.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Thanks all. To clarify...I think our Ascent is a good car, and the AWD and safety nannies have already saved my wife's bacon a number of times. If I didn't think it was a good vehicle we wouldn't have gotten it.

Also, sure I like sports cars, but I don't want it to be a sports car. I drive a 15 year old grandpa car...I like my 15 year old grandpa car. I'd replace that if I really feel the itch for a Mustang or a WRX or something.

As for hauling the family, every minivan we owned (four total) does a better job of carrying all six of us and our luggage in comfort. We absolutely gave up capacity to have the Ascent. I've always felt that the main reason for being of crossovers is "it's not a minivan." They're also not a car, and not really an SUV. Anyway, no crossover is as practical as a (ugh) minivan. Not saying we ever *wanted* to get a minivan...but we could never deny the practicality.

I'm just...unexcited. We have this brand new car...and I feel the same "blah" toward it as if we'd owned it for years. So, sounds like I'm not alone, but at least in the minority.
I hear ya. If all I wanted was more space, I could have saved some money and gotten a minivan. I don't mind 'em one bit. I love the scene in the movie Be Cool where they talk about the minivan Travolta's character gets as a rental being the "Cadillac of minivans" :) . What I wanted, though, was a family hauler that would haul the family out onto the beach down on Hatteras Island where I'm from. It needs to carry us up the dirt/gravel/mud roads to the boy scout camps the guys go to, or out the sand road to the gun range down my father-in-law's way (Panama City FL). Also, both down home and down at my Dad-in-law's house there have been major hurricanes in the recent past, and even in heavy rain storms there can be flooding in both places, so we wanted something that might be able to handle that situation in case family needs help. I suppose I'm saying it's all very subjective. If it ain't doin it for ya, it ain't. I'd say, keep your grandpa car and rock that bad boy. It's ok if the Ascent doesn't trip your trigger. I've talked to folks hat think the Crosstrek is an ugly, stupid piece of junk. They're obviously in the minority, but they're just as entitled to their opinions as those of us who love the Crosstrek. I even talked to a feller once who thought Mustangs suck :tango_face_surprise! I almost had to revoke his man card for that, but in the end he's allowed to not like 'em. :tango_face_wink:

·
Registered
918 Posts
  • Nice flat torque curve makes it surprisingly fun to drive
  • Tows my 3,500 pop up camper and tons of gear wherever I want
  • Tows my 88 Mustang to the track for track days.
  • Can get off the beaten track for light-medium duty off roading
  • Still drives like a car, albeit a very big car
  • 4 Wheel Independent Suspension (see drives like car)
  • AWD
  • Eyesight has saved me 2 times already
  • Hauls 8 when I'm the designated driver!

No, it's definitely not sexy and not a head turner, but it sure checks a lot of boxes for me which makes it exciting to me. I mash the throttle and I get a smile (even though my other car is a 350whp Mustang Track car!)

No, if you don't drive it everyday, it's just a vehicle to you. That's actually pretty normal for all but a few vehicles :D

·
Registered
418 Posts
  • Nice flat torque curve makes it surprisingly fun to drive
  • Tows my 3,500 pop up camper and tons of gear wherever I want
  • Tows my 88 Mustang to the track for track days.
  • Can get off the beaten track for light-medium duty off roading
  • Still drives like a car, albeit a very big car
  • 4 Wheel Independent Suspension (see drives like car)
  • AWD
  • Eyesight has saved me 2 times already
  • Hauls 8 when I'm the designated driver!

No, it's definitely not sexy and not a head turner, but it sure checks a lot of boxes for me which makes it exciting to me. I mash the throttle and I get a smile (even though my other car is a 350whp Mustang Track car!)

No, if you don't drive it everyday, it's just a vehicle to you. That's actually pretty normal for all but a few vehicles :D

Ooo nice, a fox body. Definitely a nice gen for the drag strip. 5.0 V8 and the lightest gen Stang made (I'm pretty sure). I know the guys in the local Mustang club love the foxes for track days. The club leader has a Saleen fox body he tracks, and a newer Saleen for street driving.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Take it into empty parking lot and get her sideways a bit...that should spice it up a bit.

I like that it drives more like a car and has great visibility. Not too many midsize crossovers make a better daily driver IMO.

Reactions: Sigmonster

·
Registered
672 Posts
How do you think I feel, @noodlenoggin ?! My wife has a WRX! :D

OK, no, seriously, I get it. And you know what, it's OK. Different vehicles are just different, to different folks.

I loved my '05 Legacy 2.5GT. I fell in love with it when I took it on a test drive in the summer of 2005, when my wife wanted me to get a 4-door vehicle in preparation for our first child, our then-still-baking-in-her-tummy daughter. I went to our dealership ostensibly with money-in-hand for an '05 WRX wagon, but took the 5MT LGT out for a spin. She was an early-make MY05, and had been the dealership's "Executive Demo" until then, having already 3K miles on her ODO. You know what? I didn't care, I took her home that very night.

I quickly started modifying her (I'm one of the OGs on LegacyGT.com, and among the first to get the vehicle ECUTek'ed), and I - as well as that little girl whose ride home from the hospital nursery took place in that very same vehicle - was heartbroken when I had to give her up. As luck would have it, a fellow enthusiast flew out from Utah to drive her home, and my daughter and I met him at the dealership, giving him a basket of parts and other goodies, and bid our fond farewell to that quick (she wasn't fast...besides, I had another car to really mess around with, at that time) and fun ride.

I went from that car to a '13 Tribeca.

I hated the Tribeca when we first got it. So why did I get it? Because we wanted something larger than the '09 Forester XT that my wife had at the time, so that we'd have more options for family trips, and also so that we could cram my daughter and her cousins (they were all young kids at the time) into the vehicle and do some fun stuff together. :) When my daughter asked why we had to get rid of "Winky," her beloved '05 LGT, I told her that our lifestyle had changed - we'd come to a different place in our lives, and this larger vehicle was simply what fit, better, for the moment.

And you know what?

When it came time for me to turn in that Tribeca in 2016, I hated letting it go. In the intervening three years, I'd fallen in love with it - not exactly madly head-over-heels, but rather, just that I really, really appreciated the utility of the vehicle, and the unflinching and trouble-free way it served us.

Three years later, leasing yet again another Subaru, I decided that I'd go with the '16 Outback 2.5i. I took the car for a bit of a test-drive, and decided that yes, it lacked punch, but I could live with that, especially if I packed her to the gills with all the electronic goodies that the Tribeca didn't have.

I never really bonded with the OB. I routinely bemoaned its lack of grunt, and even though it was completely trouble-free and shockingly good on fuel-economy, I still couldn't get over the fact the car felt just a little unsafe because it drove like it couldn't get out of its own way fast enough. That said, the onboard TomTom never guided me wrong. The 36 presets for my SiriusXM subscription meant I was never bored on even the longest solo interstate ride. Close to 9 inches of ground clearance (even closer to that with my winter tires) meant that I could literally blitz down the "improved roads" that led to various ranges and classes. There was more than enough room for 2 weeks' worth of my daughter's clothes and other supplies for summer camp, plus space to spare for my and the wife's luggage, too, for the weekend jaunt to drop the little one off at said camp. I certainly appreciated the vehicle's utility, but I could never truly get to "liking" it.

Fast forward to this November, where I stepped into the dealership looking to re-up on my lease with a '19 Outback 3.6R Touring.....

I totally thought that was what I'd wanted: just a bit more grunt to send the OB on its way, be it playing Frogger across the thoroughfare from our side-street on my daily commute or having a bit more gusto for two-lane passing and highway merging. I was sure of it.

But as with my chance meeting with the 5MT Legacy 2.5GT back in 2005, a chance test-drive of the Ascent, and here I am.

Do I love the car?

I won't deny that I like it, *_A LOT_*.

I'm not sure if I completely love it just yet. It's not love at first drive, like the turbo Legacy.

But I'm no longer jealous of my wife's WRX. ;)

·
Registered
19 Posts

I absolutely agree. The people moving prize goes to the minivan. Our old minivan served us very well for a 14 years as my kids went from babies to teenagers. As they grew, we became a snowboarding family that needed AWD to get us safely up to the snow. My family of 5 could no longer tolerate the cramped quarters of our Outback and the minivan lacked AWD so both got traded in for our Ascent. Now we throw all the equipment in the rooftop cargo box and the five of us ride in comfort to the slopes. I considered the Sienna AWD but there were too many drawbacks. My ideal car would have been an AWD plugin-hybrid minivan with 8 inches of ground clearance and a full size spare tire. I'm still hoping for that perfect solution. Until then, the Ascent is my best choice.

·
Registered
73 Posts
We totally love ours other than some minor annoyances due to being all new car design. I will say that we do only like the Touring edition for the luxury look of the trim. The other trims are a bit boring in their color schemes. We got the Red with the brown seats so it is really pretty. Coming from a V8 Toureg I find the power to be just fine. All this winter we have been using the remote start and on the few times I forgot I certainly did not like getting in it cold. To discuss your be dissatisfied you really need to mention what you might have bought at the same price. We saw nothing that was as comfortable. The Mazda is too small inside especially in the front seats, I do not like a wide console. The Highlander also seemed much smaller. Actually we would have bought an Atlas but even the top trim looks plain and cheap with generous use of hard plastic and gloss black. The Atlas did have the nicest cargo and folding seats. Most everyone in Portland has a Subaru so we figured we would join the team. Hoping for good resale on this Subaru as our 2007 Volkswagen Touareg with 120k mile has essentially none. That VW was $57k when the first person bought it and $19k when we bought it at 3 years and 65k miles. In case you did not know when your car has dropped to around $6k in value and any repair can set you back $2k to $3k at a VW dealer or more no one in that price range wants to buy it. (It needs an $1,800 brake job, $800 tires, push button start is out, cornering lights are out, and a few electrical gremlins. But clean as a whistle inside and out)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks all. I guess what I'm thinking is that I just spent the most we've spent on a car...ever. We bought our last brand-new car exactly 20 years ago, and we were EXCITED -- like, giddy and giggly -- to get it. So...20 years since our last new car, most we've ever spent on a car...and I can't work up a single actual emotion about it, and feel like I should be able to.

(thinking)

You know, this winter I bought a refurbished snowblower for $160, and I got more excited about THAT than I am about our new Ascent. What's wrong with me? :dunno:

·
Registered
61 Posts
give it time. i have had the opposite reaction. i always have experienced cars as practical modes of transportation, and nothing more. did not think it would be any different with the ascent. but now, after a few months, i still find it a joy to drive. hard to explain, but just getting in it to go do errands is a pleasure. and that is new for me. plus it has been even more practical than we had hoped, for a larger family, with lots of different needs.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts