With snow already falling here I was looking into getting a set of winter tires and was curious as to what people's thoughts were on using a second set of rims. Currently I already have 20'' rims and 18'' rims but I was thinking of simply selling the 20'' rims and getting snow tires that I swap on and off the 18'' rims. There's a few reasons for this including:
- I can't lift the 20'' rims (with the old tires on them) and this will become tedious to bring them to and from a tire shop to mount as I don't have a level area to put the tires on myself
- I'd need a second set of TPMS which has a higher upfront cost.
- Selling the 20'' rims will help towards the cost of the winter tires even if in 3-5+ years mounting and balancing ends up outweighing that cost
- I drive a lot and I don't expect to swap each set of tires more than 4 or so times before I'll have already been through their entire tread life and need new tires anyway
- I don't care if the 18'' rims gets scratched as I already use them for off-roading and don't except them to be in perfect condition anyway