Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone else having this issue? I just updated last week and since then I cannot get bluetooth or carplay to work. bluetooth shows connected on my phone and I can make phone calls but no media plays (shows up on ascent headunit as 'no device attached') and when i try via apple oem usb cable carplay is grayed out and does not connect. No idea what the problem is other than the update broke something? Oh technology, how I love/loath you!

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Is anyone else having this issue? I just updated last week and since then I cannot get bluetooth or carplay to work. bluetooth shows connected on my phone and I can make phone calls but no media plays (shows up on ascent headunit as 'no device attached') and when i try via apple oem usb cable carplay is grayed out and does not connect. No idea what the problem is other than the update broke something? Oh technology, how I love/loath you!
My wife had trouble with her iPhone X and Bluetooth this morning (different car). Sounds like there might be a bug. I'd first unpair/forget the BT connection, restart the phone and then re-pair it. Hopefully that fixes it. If not, I'm seeing some guides online about fixing iOS12/12.1 BT issues.

My phone is currently downloading 12.1 but I will not install it unless I know it's going to work with CarPlay. I didn't even know there was an update but I'll post back here if I read anything else about this issue.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had a similar problem. Updating the cars AppleCarPlay via WiFi to the same iOS as the iPhone worked for me.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My wife had trouble with her iPhone X and Bluetooth this morning (different car). Sounds like there might be a bug. I'd first unpair/forget the BT connection, restart the phone and then re-pair it. Hopefully that fixes it. If not, I'm seeing some guides online about fixing iOS12/12.1 BT issues.

My phone is currently downloading 12.1 but I will not install it unless I know it's going to work with CarPlay. I didn't even know there was an update but I'll post back here if I read anything else about this issue.
Thanks, I'll give that a shot!

I had a similar problem. Updating the cars AppleCarPlay via WiFi to the same iOS as the iPhone worked for me.
How do you do this? I checked for updates to starlink over wifi (while parked in my garage connected to my house Wifi) but was told there isn't any available. Is there a different/separate carplay update you can perform via the headunit?

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Everything is up to date. I removed all Bluetooth and CarPlay connections and reconnected them. It now works but I cannot play over Bluetooth while connected via usb to CarPlay. Not sure if that was always the case or not.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Thanks ROCKTHEBEEF!

great SN!
Thanks. I was a long-time guitar player and one time I joined a band as a bass player. Somebody told me I was "rockin' the beef" so it became my internet forum name.
It has nothing to do with the Urban Dictionary definition. :tango_face_surprise

·
Registered
121 Posts
Somewhat off topic but I don't upgrade ios on my iPhone unless this guy says it is stable:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2018/11/01/apple-ios-12-1-problems-upgrade-iphone-update-ipad-security-performance-throttling-battery-life/#3b0832525f78

https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2018/10/31/apple-ios-12-1-release-should-you-upgrade-iphone-problem-ipad/#3c19f0a57214

Based on the reported issues it is not worth it to upgrade unless you are desperate to run google maps or waze via car play. I'm going to see if 12.1.1 is more stable before leaving 11.4.1.

·
Registered
9 Posts
This post is super helpful. My husband thought I was crazy when I told him it was inconsistent when I tried to connect apple car play. And I told him it was right when the update happened. And it even had Bluetooth trouble. I was so frustrated and trying to reconnect it while en route to no avail. Now I know I’m not the only one and will update the Apple car play via WiFi. Hopefully I can get close enough to my house to do that!

Will this happen with every iOS update?

Thanks!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I guess I got lucky, CarPlay with my iPhone X has worked much better since iOS 12/12.1. Before that it was hit or miss if the car would ever recognize when my phone was connected, when it worked it often took 3+ minutes to see it.

Same with Bluetooth, before updating it would show my phone connected but would play media from the phone speakers and the phone wouldn’t show any options for outputs.

I don’t think anything has ever been updated on the head unit, every time I’ve checked it said no updates.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts